Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 175/65 R15

Spyder Garage

Default 175/65 R15

Will a 175/65 R15 fit on the front of a 2014 RT, or would a 60 be better, very difficult trying to figure out what fits. Want to use a General Altimax RT43 on the front.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks like a pretty big change in tire sizes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    Will a 175/65 R15 fit on the front of a 2014 RT, or would a 60 be better, very difficult trying to figure out what fits. Want to use a General Altimax RT43 on the front.
    ....Bob's chart is mis-leading ....it's meant to be, Bob likes to stir up the POT. .....However remember this ..First off forget the Speedometer chart it doesn't apply....The Spyder uses the rear tire !!!!!......And all those other measurements should be divided in half because they represent each side of the center line of the axel................If you are at all concerned ....PM Ron Netzly of Netzly tire ....( rnet )and He will tell you if it fits......................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-05-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Truthfully; I didn't mean to grab that portion (speedometer readings) in the screen grab...
    But there's nothing misleading about the Math; as long as you know what a tire looks like, and how it's supposed to fit in place.
    What DOES concern me: the 8.2% change in diameter. (And circumference, Mike...)
    That could put you on the ragged edge"; where you start popping codes due to that big change in size.

Spyder Garage

All tire threads are to be banned from this site on April 1st 2016.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Hi cyclekid, I'm running 175/60R15's on the front of my 2013 RT Ltd with the 'external rib' fenders on it, and I pretty much had to change all the Hex head screws holding the fender to the frame to cup head in order to clear the tire tread at all times. So if you are planning on keeping the fenders, then I really doubt that you'd be able to squeeze a 65 profile tire in there!!

Admittedly, the 60's only touched the hex head screw heads when the tire was 'deformed' due to cornering stresses, but they touched hard enough & often enough to just visibly groove the tread surface at times. Now that I've got cup head screws fitted instead, I suspect that they might still 'just touch' under hard cornering every now & then, but the smoother cup heads don't ever leave a mark on the tread surface despite the visible 'polished appearance' that is sometimes noticeable on the cup heads themselves.

When fitting/removing the 60 profile wheels, I do have to align things up well & then very carefully lift the lip of the fender in order to get the wheel over & then onto the studs - any taller tire (like a 65 profile) & I'd probably need to trim the lip of the fender a little just to get the wheel on or off!! So with that in mind, I'd suggest that unless you are going for the 'No Fender' look, you'd be best sticking to the 175/60R15's.

The slightly wider/taller tire handles well on the road, the slightly wider footprint improves the front end grip under all circumstances while the taller profile matches the taller tire I have on the rear, and the fact that they aren't 'crappy Kenda's' has meant that I have had NO hydroplaning issues at all since they went on (altho I do run them at 16psi too, so that may be helping there). I'm running a 225/65/R15 on the rear (which makes my speedo almost exactly correct!) and that teamed with the taller/wider front tires has meant that the overall improvement in ride & handling alone is more than justification to me for the change, altho the far better mileage life from all the tires (which was the original driving force behind the change) has proven to be much better than I ever dreamt I'd achieve!! I've been running these tires (Kumho Solus KH17's) on the Spyder now for well over double (close to triple!) the distance I got out of the OE Kendas - & in the case of the rear tire, it's more like five times longer!! And like I said, the improvements in ride & handling alone justified the change, the greater tire life is all cream!!

Over to you!! Enjoy.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am considering a 175/55/15 when the time comes to replace my front tires. This is only .43" taller and .39" wider. I am thinking that the added width would be useful (if it isn't too wide), and by keeping the lower 55 series profile, it should still handle the curves pretty well. For the rear, I stuck with the original size, but used a kumo. With the above stated size for the front, there are quite a few options.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default HEX HEAD SCREWS

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Hi cyclekid, I'm running 175/60R15's on the front of my 2013 RT Ltd with the 'external rib' fenders on it, and I pretty much had to change all the Hex head screws holding the fender to the frame to cup head in order to clear the tire tread at all times. So if you are planning on keeping the fenders, then I really doubt that you'd be able to squeeze a 65 profile tire in there!!

Admittedly, the 60's only touched the hex head screw heads when the tire was 'deformed' due to cornering stresses, but they touched hard enough & often enough to just visibly groove the tread surface at times. Now that I've got cup head screws fitted instead, I suspect that they might still 'just touch' under hard cornering every now & then, but the smoother cup heads don't ever leave a mark on the tread surface despite the visible 'polished appearance' that is sometimes noticeable on the cup heads themselves.

When fitting/removing the 60 profile wheels, I do have to align things up well & then very carefully lift the lip of the fender in order to get the wheel over & then onto the studs - any taller tire (like a 65 profile) & I'd probably need to trim the lip of the fender a little just to get the wheel on or off!! So with that in mind, I'd suggest that unless you are going for the 'No Fender' look, you'd be best sticking to the 175/60R15's.

The slightly wider/taller tire handles well on the road, the slightly wider footprint improves the front end grip under all circumstances while the taller profile matches the taller tire I have on the rear, and the fact that they aren't 'crappy Kenda's' has meant that I have had NO hydroplaning issues at all since they went on (altho I do run them at 16psi too, so that may be helping there). I'm running a 225/65/R15 on the rear (which makes my speedo almost exactly correct!) and that teamed with the taller/wider front tires has meant that the overall improvement in ride & handling alone is more than justification to me for the change, altho the far better mileage life from all the tires (which was the original driving force behind the change) has proven to be much better than I ever dreamt I'd achieve!! I've been running these tires (Kumho Solus KH17's) on the Spyder now for well over double (close to triple!) the distance I got out of the OE Kendas - & in the case of the rear tire, it's more like five times longer!! And like I said, the improvements in ride & handling alone justified the change, the greater tire life is all cream!!

Over to you!! Enjoy.
    ....Hi, I've had various size tires on different Spyders over the years, exactly what and where are these HEX head screws that were causing interference.....??????...................Thank you......Mike .......PS, I believe Highwayman runs a 185/60-14 tire on the front, any thoughts on how He accomplishes that ??????.....PPS, also DustBowl has Firestone 175/65-14 on His RT-S !!!!!!
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-05-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I kind of figured that there'd be some interference with the newer fenders. They fit a lot closer to the tire, than the older style. (They actually have about HALF of the clearance of the older ones.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Hi, I've had various size tires on different Spyders over the years, exactly what and where are these HEX head screws that were causing interference.....??????...................Thank you......Mike .......PS, I believe Highwayman runs a 185/60-14 tire on the front, any thoughts on how He accomplishes that ??????.....PPS, also DustBowl has Firestone 175/65-14 on His RT-S !!!!!!
    The newer Spyders (with 15" wheels) mainly have different fenders to those with 14" wheels - the main support spar is on the outside with the fender screwed up to it from inside the wheel arch using hex head screws - and the fender itself is a whole lot closer to the tire tread than it is on the 14" wheels!! It's the difference between the two types of fenders that make it harder to fit larger dia/profile tires on the Spyders with the new style fenders.

So I have no doubt that it's possible to run bigger/higher profile 14" tires on Spyders with those older style fenders (as you pointed out, there are people doing it!!) but if you've got a Spyder that runs the 15" rims/wheels & the newer fenders like me & I believe the OP, then the fender itself is about an inch closer to the tread because it's held INSIDE the main support spar by hex head screws that leave their heads sticking out even closer to the tire tread again instead of outside that spar with the screws heads hidden. Buuut, on the 15" fenders with the spar outside & screw head projecting inside, just swap the hex head screws for dome head/Phillips head screws with a lower profile & you won't have any trouble.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-06-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The newer Spyders (with 15" wheels) mainly have different fenders to those with 14" wheels - the main support spar is on the outside with the fender screwed up to it from inside the wheel arch using hex head screws - and the fender itself is a whole lot closer to the tire tread than it is on the 14" wheels!! It's the difference between the two types of fenders that make it harder to fit larger dia/profile tires on the Spyders with the new style fenders.

So I have no doubt that it's possible to run bigger/higher profile 14" tires on Spyders with those older style fenders (as you pointed out, there are people doing it!!) but if you've got a Spyder that runs the 15" rims/wheels & the newer fenders like me & I believe the OP, then the fender itself is about an inch closer to the tread because it's held INSIDE the main support spar by hex head screws that leave their heads sticking out even closer to the tire tread again instead of outside that spar with the screws heads hidden. Buuut, on the 15" fenders with the spar outside & screw head projecting inside, just swap the hex head screws for dome head/Phillips head screws with a lower profile & you won't have any trouble.
    Both style fenders are still in use...
    There's not much difference in overall height or circumference between the two different tire/wheel combinations:

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default HEX VS PHILLIPS VS DOME TYPE

....I don't believe any of that matters because the relationship between the fenders and the tires is STATIC, ie. it remains constant.......and the tires never go up into the fenders like they do on a car / truck etc. .....they are like the old HOT ROD fenders, they are attached to the wheel HUBS.....I have had to remove or loosen the brackets to get some of the tires in, but once in they fit.........Of course there is a limit to what size tire will fit, but 10mm is not an issue, on either style fender...........and the difference in say a Gen Altimax RT 43 and a Continental Conti Pro ....I would rather have the General due to the much better performance numbers............jmho.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Believe what you like fella's, but I've ACTUALLY done this - I've fitted the 175/60R15 tires to my Spyder (175/60's that is, not the 165/55's vs 165/65's that you compared Bob) And I test fitted a whole range of different tire sizes before choosing this one; I very carefully compared the different style fenders as well, I even considered changing my fenders so I could fit different sized tires, but the cost vs benefit just wasn't there so I went with what fitted under the fenders I had.

I was quite surprised to find that the tires I did choose deformed enough under cornering forces to actually touch the hex head screws, but the evidence was there, it was clearly showing in the tread of the tire; and changing the raised hex head screws out for dome headed screws resolved the issue, altho every now & then a visual inspection shows a slight polish mark on the leading edge screw, which I reported in my earlier post.

So you all can postulate to your hearts content, I've ACTUALLY done this, I ACTUALLY run 175/60R15's on the front of my 2013 RT Ltd with the 'new' style fenders, and in answer to the OP's question, I do not believe that 185/65's or 175/65R15's would fit without either removing or somewhat modifying these fenders. In the past I've been paid to conduct this sort of testing & deliver this sort of advice, but I'm retired now, so you can take it or leave it, for what it's worth or ortherwise....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my opinion: it's a bit too close for comfort...
    But if you're happy: Rock on!

Spyder Garage

Here we go again, I hear those trumpets Blow again taken a chance on --------.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack,
    Would you do all of us a favor?
    We're gonna need some Snickers bars; could you go get us a bunch of them?
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

When it comes time for replacing the front tires,( I have the original Kenda tires on the front) I am going to put on General Altimax RT43 because of the performance #'s. I have General Altimax RT43 on the rear tire. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    When it comes time for replacing the front tires,( I have the original Kenda tires on the front) I am going to put on General Altimax RT43 because of the performance #'s. I have General Altimax RT43 on the rear tire. Deanna
    Hi Dee,
    Does the General come in the OEM sizing?

Spyder Garage

Default Altimax RT43

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Dee,
    Does the General come in the OEM sizing?
    No this was as close as I could get, except possibly a 175/60/15 may be avail. I will most likely be sending these back, can't be returned if mounted and too expensive to do a try and see. I do have a pm in to

Netzly's to see what they have to say.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Believe what you like fella's, but I've ACTUALLY done this - I've fitted the 175/60R15 tires to my Spyder (175/60's that is, not the 165/55's vs 165/65's that you compared Bob) And I test fitted a whole range of different tire sizes before choosing this one; I very carefully compared the different style fenders as well, I even considered changing my fenders so I could fit different sized tires, but the cost vs benefit just wasn't there so I went with what fitted under the fenders I had.

I was quite surprised to find that the tires I did choose deformed enough under cornering forces to actually touch the hex head screws, but the evidence was there, it was clearly showing in the tread of the tire; and changing the raised hex head screws out for dome headed screws resolved the issue, altho every now & then a visual inspection shows a slight polish mark on the leading edge screw, which I reported in my earlier post.

So you all can postulate to your hearts content, I've ACTUALLY done this, I ACTUALLY run 175/60R15's on the front of my 2013 RT Ltd with the 'new' style fenders, and in answer to the OP's question, I do not believe that 185/65's or 175/65R15's would fit without either removing or somewhat modifying these fenders. In the past I've been paid to conduct this sort of testing & deliver this sort of advice, but I'm retired now, so you can take it or leave it, for what it's worth or ortherwise....
    Which specific 175/60 15s are you running? Since its obviously close, the difference between manufactures real world dimensions matters here.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

No this was as close as I could get, except possibly a 175/60/15 may be avail. I will most likely be sending these back, can't be returned if mounted and too expensive to do a try and see. I do have a pm in to

Netzly's to see what they have to say.

What is THIS that is close? Please be specific as others are trying to follow here.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Mike we are discussing 15" fronts, not 14s. Very different fitment.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Unfortunatly, the General Altimax RT43 does not come in a 15" size that will fit the Spyders.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....T-Speed+Rated)

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT and I'm running a 165/65/15 on the front without problems. Works very well, increases ground clearance 1/2 inch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jack,
    Would you do all of us a favor?
    We're gonna need some Snickers bars; could you go get us a bunch of them?
    Thanks!
    Consider it done. I could see where this is leading. I have my RT-622 loaded with Snickers. Just let me know where to deliver them.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick