Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 175/65 R15

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandman53 View Post
    I have a 2013 RT and I'm running a 165/65/15 on the front without problems. Works very well, increases ground clearance 1/2 inch.
    Which tire and which fenders? Pics would be really nice.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Continental Procontact 165/65/15 I have a Base 2013 RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then you've got the old fenders. They give you double the clearance; when compared to the new-style fenders.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW VS OLD FENDERS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Then you've got the old fenders. They give you double the clearance; when compared to the new-style fenders.
    ....if you are talking about the distance between the top of the tire and the inside of the fender ...yes it does ...However that doesn't matter, because the fender and the tire move exactly the distance, so the relation ship never changes...................There is actually MORE clearance on the NEW fenders at the fender lip, this is critical if the tire is slightly wider...................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow...

I guess that I should ask you just exactly how stupid you think I am...
    ..But I know exactly what the answer would be.
    Of COURSE they move together; that's how BRP has things bolted-up.
    My point, is that with less clearance; there is the potential for an "overly-close" setup, to make contact as the tire flexes over road surface irregularities.
    It doesn't matter where the closest point are... they are simply MUCH closer together with the newer design fenders.

Spyder Garage

Default WOW BACK AT YOU

Wow...

I guess that I should ask you just exactly how stupid you think I am... ....I NEVER IMPLIED YOU WERE STUPID
    ..But I know exactly what the answer would be. ......OBVIOUSLY YOU DON'T ....
    Of COURSE they move together; that's how BRP has things bolted-up.
    My point, is that with less clearance; there is the potential for an "overly-close" setup, to make contact as the tire flexes over road surface irregularities. ..........BOB THE TIRE ONLY FLEXES AT " BOTTOM " NOT NEAR THE FENDER
    It doesn't matter where the closest point are... they are simply MUCH closer together with the newer design fenders.
    ......No they aren't and I have seen them together, nose to nose....................................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-07-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ok then, lets be specific.

Is anyone running an other than stock size Kenda / Federal on a 2013 or newer bike with the NEW STYLE external frame fenders? Anything else is not germane to the conversation. I really don't care how close you THINK the dimensions of the two fender styles are, there is more than half and inch of difference in fender gap between them on stock bikes.

Oh, and the distance between the fender and the tire is NOT fixed. There is considerable play and deflection in the fender brackets when road irregularities are encountered. All you have to do is watch the fender move.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......No they aren't and I have seen them together, nose to nose....................................Mike
    Measure them: I did!

Spyder Garage

Default 175/65 r15

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Ok then, lets be specific.

Is anyone running an other than stock size Kenda / Federal on a 2013 or newer bike with the NEW STYLE external frame fenders? Anything else is not germane to the conversation. I really don't care how close you THINK the dimensions of the two fender styles are, there is more than half and inch of difference in fender gap between them on stock bikes.

Oh, and the distance between the fender and the tire is NOT fixed. There is considerable play and deflection in the fender brackets when road irregularities are encountered. All you have to do is watch the fender move.
    First of all I apologize for creating such hate and discontent for asking a simple question, it was really a yes or no answer. The snyde comments back and forth are not necessary and Jack, you can deliver the snickers to North Idaho as I love snickers. No further comments need be given as I am sending the tires back, I won't risk not getting a refund by test fitting. Usually the information on this site is great, guess thats what I get for asking my question.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Cyclekid, there's no need for you to apologise for anything! You asked a question, you got some answers, you should've been able to make a decision based upon the info given without any further ado.

Those of us who responded & then carried on & sidetracked the discussion should be apologising to you (which I do most abjectly! ) Altho I'm pretty sure no-one has really got to the 'hate & discontent' stage; we're all grown ups (or is that grown olds?) here & I'd like to think that we are big enough to occasionally get into a bit of heated discussion about something & still not let it get in the way of enjoying the Forum, Spyders, & all the other things that we share - aren't we? And besides, while it might've been a little heated at times, all this 'extra discussion' has provided at least some of us with a greater understanding of what tires fit under which fenders!

So you have no need to apologise or feel bad in any way about anything posted in this thread. You asked your question, you got some answers, you made a decision based upon that info. If anyone else has a problem with what was said, it's their problem, not yours! (Ps: I agree that returning the 175/65R15's is your safest choice.)

jcthorne, you asked for pics - here's a Kumho Solus KH17 175/60R15 on my 2013 RT Ltd with the NEW style Fenders:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-07-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Cyclekid, there's no need for you to apologise for anything! You asked a question, you got some answers, you should've been able to make a decision based upon the info given without any further ado.

Those of us who responded & then carried on & sidetracked the discussion should be apologising to you (which I do most abjectly! ) Altho I'm pretty sure no-one has really got to the 'hate & discontent' stage; we're all grown ups (or is that grown olds?) here & I'd like to think that we are big enough to occasionally get into a bit of heated discussion about something & still not let it get in the way of enjoying the Forum, Spyders, & all the other things that we share - aren't we? And besides, while it might've been a little heated at times, all this 'extra discussion' has provided at least some of us with a greater understanding of what tires fit under which fenders!

So you have no need to apologise or feel bad in any way about anything posted in this thread. You asked your question, you got some answers, you made a decision based upon that info. If anyone else has a problem with what was said, it's their problem, not yours! (Ps: I agree that returning the 175/65R15's is your safest choice.)

jcthorne, you asked for pics - here's a Kumho Solus KH17 175/60R15 on my 2013 RT Ltd with the NEW style Fenders:
    Thanks! Looks like a viable option. Much appreciated

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default 175-60-15 TIRE

...So Peter you put this size tire on your 2013 RT with the new style fenders, and your saying a 175/65-15 isn't going to fit !!!!!!!!.........I really don't see how this is possible, the WIDTH of the tires is the same ...175....the aspect ratio 65.....is only 5mm ( less then 16/64's ) different from 60.............My guess at this point is the stuff they make for export to Australia is far different than what we get................Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Dee,
    Does the General come in the OEM sizing?
    I will check. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    No this was as close as I could get, except possibly a 175/60/15 may be avail. I will most likely be sending these back, can't be returned if mounted and too expensive to do a try and see. I do have a pm in to

Netzly's to see what they have to say.
    Let me know what Netzly' s says. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

...So Peter you put this size tire on your 2013 RT with the new style fenders, and your saying a 175/65-15 isn't going to fit !!!!!!!!.........I really don't see how this is possible, the WIDTH of the tires is the same ...175....the aspect ratio 65.....is only 5mm ( less then 16/64's ) different from 60.............My guess at this point is the stuff they make for export to Australia is far different than what we get................Mike

According to BRP (?!?) the new style fenders on Aussie Spyders are essentially the same ie IDENTICAL to the new style fenders on US delivered Spyders (& Spyders delivered anywhere else in the world for that matter!!)

And essentially, YES, as I said earlier, you won't be able to fit a 175/65R15 on a Spyder with the new style fenders without modding the fenders somewhat or taking them off entirely.

Quite simply, this is because as it is, fitting the 175/60R15's requires the removal of the raised hex head screws (which impinge about 12mm into the tire space under the fender) & their replacement with flatter/lower profile dome head screws (that impinge no more than about 5mm into the tire space under the fender) - if you don't do that then as I've said before, the hex head screws will (& when I tested them, DID) clearly mark/groove the tread of the 175/60R15's AND even with the dome head screws in there in place of the hex head screws, every now & then (usually after some 'spirited riding thru the twisties) an inspection reveals that the top of the dome head screws do get 'polished' when the tread deforms enough under cornering forces, allowing it to just touch the dome screw heads. So, as most people realise from that, it IS a pretty tight fit under there with the 175/60's fitted anyway! Fitting the 65 profile tires instead of 60 profile tires, with their extra 5mm of sidewall height, would see the screws being torn out &/or the tread of the tire ripped!!

You are welcome to come & have a look if you like?? And there's lots of other stuff over here that would make for a very interesting trip.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-07-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 5 mm

According to BRP (?!?) the new style fenders on Aussie Spyders are essentially the same ie IDENTICAL to the new style fenders on US delivered Spyders (& Spyders delivered anywhere else in the world for that matter!!)

And essentially, YES, as I said earlier, you won't be able to fit a 175/65R15 on a Spyder with the new style fenders without modding the fenders somewhat or taking them off entirely.

Quite simply, this is because as it is, fitting the 175/60R15's requires the removal of the raised hex head screws (which impinge about 12mm into the tire space under the fender) & their replacement with flatter/lower profile dome head screws (that impinge no more than about 5mm into the tire space under the fender) - if you don't do that then as I've said before, the hex head screws will (& when I tested them, DID) clearly mark/groove the tread of the 175/60R15's AND even with the dome head screws in there in place of the hex head screws, every now & then (usually after some 'spirited riding thru the twisties) an inspection reveals that the top of the dome head screws do get 'polished' when the tread deforms enough under cornering forces, allowing it to just touch the dome screw heads. So, as most people realise from that, it IS a pretty tight fit under there with the 175/60's fitted anyway! Fitting the 65 profile tires instead of 60 profile tires, with their extra 5mm of sidewall height, would see the screws being torn out &/or the tread of the tire ripped!!

You are welcome to come & have a look if you like?? And there's lots of other stuff over here that would make for a very interesting trip.
    ..........Peter, I will defer to you on this you have the fenders and I don't. BRP certainly didn't leave ANY room between the tire and the fender.......If you went through some MUD I would be concerned about even the slightest build-up tearing the fender off..............Mike

Spyder Garage

......If you went through some MUD I would be concerned about even the slightest build-up tearing the fender off..............Mike
    Yeah, I too have that concern!!

Still, I have given it a bit of testing on just about every surface & dodgy conditions you can think of (testing it to see if the different tire sizes upset the Nanny in any way - they don't, in fact she seems even happier with these than she did with the OE Kendas!) But in all honesty, I haven't yet taken it thru anything really goopy, just a few varieties of thin or semi-liquid 'light muddy' stuff, certainly nothing that started building up significantly on the tread. However, even in that sort of thinner stuff, as the tires rotated in the sloppy goop the lower rear edge of the fender tended to pick the goop up & scrape it off as the tread passed under the angled fender edge. If you can see it in the side on pic that shows the whole tire, you might be able to pick up a black scrape mark on the side edge of the fender lip? That's where I scraped the build up of mud off with my boot & took a little of the white colour coat with it ( ) so it did work to some extent - but like I said, that was relatively thin goop; I'm not at all sure it'd work the same way on anything much thicker & stickier; but then again, the Spyder isn't ever really going to see a heap of that, it isn't an 'off-road' vehicle!

And like I said way back, the slightly taller & wider passenger construction tires bring such a vast improvement in ride, handling, & tire life etc that it far outweighs any minor niggles that might arise in the future!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 175 65 15 will NOT fit. I just tried putting them on and they don't work.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default 175/65 r15

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Thanks Ann, Netzly's said the same thing so I sent them back. I did get a set of Federal Evo's in the stock size, like the looks of the tread and seems like they have more tread on them than the stock kenda tires. When your in spokane in June doing our alignments I will have you check mine, it goes in for service and tire install along with trailer hitch in early may. Want the alignment checked before heading to Deadwood, and seems I will see you guys there as well per previous posts.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

Thanks Ann for the very specific piece of information.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

personally i would not touch that size

Spyder Garage

Jack,
    Would you do all of us a favor?
    We're gonna need some Snickers bars; could you go get us a bunch of them?
    Thanks!
    And perhaps you should stop reading anything about tires or oil!
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default 175/65-15

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Thanks Ann for the very specific piece of information.
    .....What I find interesting is cyclekid58 knew about this awhile ago ( 2/6 post # 19 ??? )and for some reason decided not share this info......He even had a confirmation about it from Ron Netzley.............cyclekid isn't shy about seeking information but doesn't seem to want to SHARE .....................just sayin........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-19-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    And perhaps you should stop reading anything about tires or oil!
    Where's the fun in THAT??

Attached Images Attached Images