Spyder Garage

Default Lost rear taillight lens

While out on a ride my taillight lens came off and hit my riding buddy. Now my dealer wanted to replace the whole light as symbol at 45 plus labor. Checked on line and Custom Dynamics have a replacement lens for 19.99 plus shipping. The issue will be to find a way to keep this one on the bike, any ideas. Thanks in advance.
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Default LENS

When you get the replacement lens from CD use Loctite on the screw .
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

This has been an ongoing problem from the start. Lost mine on my new then '08 only a few months after purchase. They did replace at that time under warranty, but stopped doing that.
    Used silicone around the edges and on the screw........problem solved for the last eight yrs.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAYBE NOT

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    When you get the replacement lens from CD use Loctite on the screw .
    ....Locktite works ..metal to metal........but if it's metal to plastic , it will EAT the plastic.....some here have dis-covered this .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Locktite works ..metal to metal........but if it's metal to plastic , it will EAT the plastic.....some here have dis-covered this .......Mike

there are several different types of "Loctite" for different situations. But ANY threadlocker
    is going to work there, including a drop of good 'ol Elmer's.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

The silicon around the edges of the lens and screw works the best.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Nail varnish is handy too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Lost Lens

Mine came off at 3K miles. Mid-South Motorsports Clarksville TN took care of it immediately under warranty. I did put on Locktite when I got home.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    While out on a ride my taillight lens came off and hit my riding buddy. Now my dealer wanted to replace the whole light as symbol at 45 plus labor. Checked on line and Custom Dynamics have a replacement lens for 19.99 plus shipping. The issue will be to find a way to keep this one on the bike, any ideas. Thanks in advance.
    I replaced mine with the custom dynamics one for the lighting advantage. Screw loosening was not a problem, but rather the flimsy plastic sleeve that the screw was attached to; it broke off as I took off the BRP full size cover to get at my plate!!

Spyder Garage

Default Lost rear tailight lens

These are are all good suggestions to keep the lens screw from vibrating out. I purchased 2015 F3S with about 3400 miles on it. While riding one day to AC I parked and looked back at my fender and saw no taillight lens. I was furious and wrote BRP about the design etc. It is a small piece sheet metal holding a small length screw in place, not good with the tremedous vibration from the Spyder. After reading all the replies to this concern I did my modification. I used a #8 X 1" screw with a small amount of blue loctite placed on the back of the holder with a q-tip so that metal would only be on metal. It worked. Later on I had a mishap with the taillight where I needed to replace the lens. I used the CD lens. This time I put a # 8 u clip nut over that piece of sheet metal, blue loctite on the back and used a #8 X 3/4" screw. I felt better with the u clip nut in place for extra support of the screw that holds the lens in place. It has held up to this point. I check the lens now after every ride maybe out of paranoia, but it has been quite secure. Thanks for all of your help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    This has been an ongoing problem from the start. Lost mine on my new then '08 only a few months after purchase. They did replace at that time under warranty, but stopped doing that. Used silicone around the edges and on the screw........problem solved for the last eight yrs.
    This will work. Thread lock products won't.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by natedupree View Post
    These are are all good suggestions to keep the lens screw from vibrating out. I purchased 2015 F3S with about 3400 miles on it. While riding one day to AC I parked and looked back at my fender and saw no taillight lens. I was furious and wrote BRP about the design etc. It is a small piece sheet metal holding a small length screw in place, not good with the tremedous vibration from the Spyder. After reading all the replies to this concern I did my modification. I used a #8 X 1" screw with a small amount of blue loctite placed on the back of the holder with a q-tip so that metal would only be on metal. It worked. Later on I had a mishap with the taillight where I needed to replace the lens. I used the CD lens. This time I put a # 8 u clip nut over that piece of sheet metal, blue loctite on the back and used a #8 X 3/4" screw. I felt better with the u clip nut in place for extra support of the screw that holds the lens in place. It has held up to this point. I check the lens now after every ride maybe out of paranoia, but it has been quite secure. Thanks for all of your help.
    Good idea.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    This will work. Thread lock products won't.

I used silicone around the edges. Also a small amount on the screw. No more lost lens. Went the thread lock road before but no go.

Spyder Garage

It should be covered under warranty. Mine was with 10K miles on it. Pays to check!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We make a tether kit for that. but we are in the process of revamping it when I get back to the shop. I'll let you know when we have this ready.

Spyder Garage

Default Check your rear shock just in case

Jacque lost hers on her F3S with the likely cause being her rear shock had failed and the rear wheel was bouncing much more than it should have. My dealer ended up replacing the rear light unit and the shock, as the shock was toast.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

This is what I did with mine because the screw was still attached but the lens broke. I used Locktite on the screw problem solved.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jbauto3; 10-14-2017 at 07:04 AM.