Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: F3 two up shock

Spyder Garage

I feel sorry for you that this happened.
    Now you'll never trust the dealer as you shouldn't.
    Hope you can find a different dealer.
    I ride 82 miles to My dealer when there are two just up the highway that are terrible.
    God Luck.

Spyder Garage

This thread should be connected to this one: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1106718

The effort by BRP to address this problem is a best a band aid. This is an opinion of an engineer with many years of experience in the aerospace field. The BRP solution does not address the cause of the problem only where the chassis is failing. By reinforcing the area that could fail and not eliminating the cause of the issue, the cause (weak rear spring allowing rear of the bike to bottom out frequently and impart impact loads into the rear chassis) may cause another part of the bike to fail.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried using spring stiffeners like we used to use in the cars for racing to see if that will stop the bottoming out problem some are having?
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

The space between coil & shock is to small to get anything like the old spacers in there. Was hoping I could scrunch the spring some but no go

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Two Up Follow Up

With the weather warming here in Northern Nevada I had the chance to do some mountain riding today with my new two up shock. In a word "Awesome".

When we got our F3S I found that I could not corner aggressively. If I really pushed into a corner, I would feel a shift under me and the trike would drift out of the corner. To ride corners, I had to really back off on the throttle to enjoy the trike on our mountain roads.... I now know that the shift I felt was the POS shock BRP installed in the 2015 F3 models. I had the new two up shock installed last month. Today, I had the opportunity to ride some mountain curves and it's a whole different animal. I tired a couple of aggressive corners and the trike followed the line I'd planned without a problem. No shift, no drift, it stayed right on course. With the more favorable performance, I pushed it a bit harder and to my surprise, it preformed flawlessly. I love the new two up shock, the trike performs much better......BRP should be ashamed of themselves.

Spyder Garage

Default f5 rear shock

Quote Originally Posted by Mikind7 View Post
    My Dealer said to save my money, just another cheap shock with a bigger spring, recommended Elka fully adjustable. Just sayin.
    my thoughts exactly, so i just ordered the elka stage 2 rear shock with rebound adjuster, 599 free shipping
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lazor1 View Post
    my thoughts exactly, so i just ordered the elka stage 2 rear shock with rebound adjuster, 599 free shipping
    Elkas are very expensive!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Just installed the 2-UP..... very easy, very fast. (You do not have to fully remove the under-fender
    liner fully). You can get to the upper bolt sides with two long straight 15m sockets w/extensions.

No-doubt this is what should be on there as stock from the factory. (I mean lets think about it. The
    unit comes with dual seating, it should have the proper capacity for two people)
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

Just installed mine today as well, and what a difference it made! Feels like a new bike! Agree it probably should have come that way stock.

I was going back and forth on whether I really needed it, because I had not had any issues with bottoming out, though I would always try to avoid manhole covers. I'm glad I decided to get it! Huge difference.

One of the best and cheapest upgrades so far!

Spyder Garage

Where you bought this shock I can't find anywhere? And do you know specifications about max weight?

thanks

Spyder Garage

Where you bought this shock I can't find anywhere? And do you know specifications about max weight?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kkcdcdc View Post
    Thought i would post this so more people could see..
    New two up F3 shock
    $213.49 plus $60 installation
    see any difference..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ochoa1801 View Post

thanks
    Ordered mine from here http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/

Not sure about the specs, but I think someone may have posted them somewhere in the thread.

Spyder Garage

Here's the part number also...

Spyder Garage

Also got mine from Powersports in Seneca SC. Ordered on 5/9. Received on 5/18.
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

thanks all. But I try looking specifications but I can't. Somebody know something about

thanks advance

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Elkas are very expensive!!!!!!
    True, and we are modifying ours anyway as we go along, so that is performs like it should.

The original shock is not all that bad, it's main problem is that the spring does not have enough pre-load. Now that we have a spare original shock I'll get a pre-load spacer made and see what happens.

Another solution would be to use a progressive rate spring but I am not sure that they are available.

Spyder Garage

Ok, I just got back from my weekend on the new shock. I didn't have any bottoming out issues but I did notice an issue riding solo. The ride is very rough, but Im not sure how to adjust the shock. It has a hard line running to the shock so it does have an adjustment. Does anyone else run this shock?IMG_6251.jpgIt is a FOX shock with a screw adjustment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saleschase View Post
    Ok, I just got back from my weekend on the new shock. I didn't have any bottoming out issues but I did notice an issue riding solo. The ride is very rough, but Im not sure how to adjust the shock. It has a hard line running to the shock so it does have an adjustment. Does anyone else run this shock?IMG_6251.jpgIt is a FOX shock with a screw adjustment.
    I use the fox podium rear shock. My unit has 25 adjustment settings using the center screw. Turn it all the way counterclockwise and you are on the softest setting, turn it all the way clockwise and you are on the firmest setting. Each setting is called a click (more like a feel). Starting from the counterclockwise position, turn the center screw clockwise 8 clicks and see if that works for your solo riding. Adjust as necessary for your comfort. I use setting 8 for solo (180 lbs) and setting 14 for riding 2 up with a 120 lb passenger. There is also an adjustment using a socket or wrench on the large outer nut. I have not experimented with these settings.

Spyder Garage

There is another post on this subject with a member saying that BRP replaced his rear shock free under the warranty! Am looking for it but to get it free is better. He ask his shop owner to see what BRP said and they replaced it. Because it bottomed out and was too weak.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just called the dealer where I purchased my F3-S last month. They told me that BRP will only replace the shock with the same unit it came with for free IF it is a warranty defect (leaking). And that BRP is not replacing them as a free "upgrade" as customers complain. I know there was another thread that had a few people that had them replaced for free, I'm going to search for it. In the grand scheme of things, it's a cheap upgrade. Especially since I paid cash for the bike and could easily upgrade on my own. But it seems the dealer was more interested in selling me extended warranties vs making sure I was comfortable on the bike.

I'm also going to contact BRP and complain/suggest that the dealer didn't due their due diligence when setting me up during the sale. I'm 6'2" 275 and they sold me the bike as is. They didn't recommend or fit me for the different riding positions, shocks, etc. I think the dealer did BRP an injustice by just pushing the bike out the door VS making sure it fit me properly and I was happy. I just think a happy customer would be more likely to recommend the product and/or dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
    I just called the dealer where I purchased my F3-S last month. They told me that BRP will only replace the shock with the same unit it came with for free IF it is a warranty defect (leaking). And that BRP is not replacing them as a free "upgrade" as customers complain. I know there was another thread that had a few people that had them replaced for free, I'm going to search for it. In the grand scheme of things, it's a cheap upgrade. Especially since I paid cash for the bike and could easily upgrade on my own. But it seems the dealer was more interested in selling me extended warranties vs making sure I was comfortable on the bike.

I'm also going to contact BRP and complain/suggest that the dealer didn't due their due diligence when setting me up during the sale. I'm 6'2" 275 and they sold me the bike as is. They didn't recommend or fit me for the different riding positions, shocks, etc. I think the dealer did BRP an injustice by just pushing the bike out the door VS making sure it fit me properly and I was happy. I just think a happy customer would be more likely to recommend the product and/or dealer.
    If you call the customer service ### and Really complain they will make note of it- then insist the dealer call them or they may have to send a E-mail requesting an exception to warranty replacement. You have nothing to lose- They added the vacuum assist on my 2015 F3 Clutch for free by my complaining and the Dealer E-Mail! Don't hurt to try?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    If you call the customer service ### and Really complain they will make note of it- then insist the dealer call them or they may have to send a E-mail requesting an exception to warranty replacement. You have nothing to lose- They added the vacuum assist on my 2015 F3 Clutch for free by my complaining and the Dealer E-Mail! Don't hurt to try?

On Hold with BRP now as I type this. I agree, I have nothing to lose by trying. I am also looking online for suggested UFIT settings for someone my size (6'2, 275, 32" inseam) I know the dealer left the bike as is and didn't even mention the option to fit it for me specifically. All they cared about was the funds that I wired to them had cleared. And trying to sell me extended warranties for the drive train and tires...

Just got off the phone with BRP, customer service rep suggested I take it up with the dealer. LOL Dealer is saying there is nothing they can do if it is not a defective rear shock. I'm just going to order it myself and install it myself. Not worth the aggravation at this point.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
    On Hold with BRP now as I type this. I agree, I have nothing to lose by trying. I am also looking online for suggested UFIT settings for someone my size (6'2, 275, 32" inseam) I know the dealer left the bike as is and didn't even mention the option to fit it for me specifically. All they cared about was the funds that I wired to them had cleared. And trying to sell me extended warranties for the drive train and tires...

Just got off the phone with BRP, customer service rep suggested I take it up with the dealer. LOL Dealer is saying there is nothing they can do if it is not a defective rear shock. I'm just going to order it myself and install it myself. Not worth the aggravation at this point.
    My dealer didn't fit me either but after having 2 Spyders I knew it would be right. At your size and inseam you should be at #5 on your pedals- which is the farthest away from your seat as possible. If Not I feel fairly certain you will be cramped. I'm 6' 215 with about 31 inseam and NEED the #5 Position on the pegs. I don't think there is any way to extend them further?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down BRP said NO to replacement

I had the dealership where I bought my Spyder F3-S open a case with BRP. BRP said that they would not replace the shock. I talked to the Service (a North County San Diego dealer) about the issue and all they said that they would do is give me a discount on a replacement shock and have to pay for the labor to change it. I explained to him that I bought a bike with two seats and a passenger backrest that I cannot use for two-up riding because the shock is only rated for 240lbs that they did not tell me about. Got nothing back from him! If I had known it at the time I probably would have gotten the RT.

Where has customer service gone!

I filed a complaint with BRP. While getting the VIN # I noticed under the frunk a tag that says "MAX riders 2" and "MAX weight 438lbs". YET..BRP says shock is only rated for 240lbs!!! I would say that is FALSE information from BRP. Anyone else agree with me?
    Last edited by SpyderF3-s; 07-08-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: update
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

How much paid for two up F3 shock, best deal and how much paid for installation

thanks

[/QUOTE]