Thread: Windows 10

Spyder Garage

Default Windows 10

My desktop currently runs Vista. I like it. But, Google Chrome sends a message that soon it will no longer support my Chrome since I have Vista, which is no longer supported.

So, should I upgrade to Windows 10 or use some other browser? What are the downsides to upgrading to 10?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like Windows 7 Professional... it's still supported.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Is it still available?

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You need to check and see if your hardware is advance enough for win 7, 8.1 or 10. You may not find drivers for some of your old hardware. I would advise getting a new computer and donating your old one to a school. You might consider a laptop as it requires less space, less wires and easier to move if needed. They are not much different in price than just a desktop computer with no monitor and they will come with Win X and be upgradable to 10 or come with 10.

Spyder Garage

Windows 10 is basically spyware. That is why MS is giving it away. They collect every detail about you and sell that information. That is where the money is. I'd go with Windows 7. A great OS and it is still supported. My worry would be that a machine running Windows Vista (one of the worst OS MS ever produced, by the way) will not have the capability of running Win 7 very well. You're probably looking at a new machine which will most likely come with Windows 10. Though you can certainly have Windows 7 installed on it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Win 7. It's been proven to be the best program that Window's has put out. Most folks I know who have upgraded to 10 (if you want to use that term) have had a lot of issues with it. I run 7 Pro.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just updated a vista machine to 10 for a relative, but you can't go from Vista straight to 10. I had to first install 7, then install 10.

I am with most of the rest, I would stick with 7, it is a great program.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Try ubuntu linux. It's alot like windows, runs on older computers fine. Its free and you can have almost all of the same or similar programs that are also free.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I upgraded to 10 from 7 - bad move :-(
    Lost two programs and three more were unusable. Had to delete 10 and all went back to normal.
    What donec said -- new laptop would be the best way to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I 2nd this. ...
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

So what do you do with your computer (besides reading Spyderlovers?) Depending on what you need, switching away from Windows completely might work for you. You might be well served by an iPad instead or perhaps a Chromebook.

Microsoft Windows isn't the only realistic game in town anymore.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and now I wonder why I did. I was running Windows 7 home professional, and it worked great. Now having problems with 10. Might go back to 7.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

When I went to a Mac I was still on XP. I am so glad I did when I read post like this. Love my Apple products.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once you go mac, you won't go back

Spyder Garage

Had to buy a New Box- So 10 came with it. I finally changed the internet browser to Internet Explorer #11 (You can choose under default settings) and Save my Favorites on the MSN Favorites.
    Windows 10 Browser is Not Good with my Norton security as of now and IE 11 is acceptable!
    Windows 10 Browser was terrible to navigate when your used to windows 7?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just checked mine, and I'm running IE11 also...
    It works ...Okay...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Is it still available?

Regards,
    Joe T.
    At retail, no. On eBay, and other onliine sellers, probably, especially those who sell left over old stock. You just have to make sure it's a legit copy. Windows 8.1 is not a whole lot different from 7 once you add a third party menu program to it. It's pretty much the same under the hood. If your machine runs Vista it'll most likely run 7 or 8 with no problem. I even installed Win 7 on an XP machine and it runs good.

I have a product key available for a full version, not upgrade, of Win 8.1 that I bought for our church and never used. You can have it for what it cost us, $40. As has been mentioned, you cannot move up from Win Vista to 10. To go to 10 you must buy a copy of 7 or 8, or buy 10 outright.

As far as Bob's comment about it being spyware, that is true in that MS probably is collecting data and selling it. That's one reason why they want you to do everything in the cloud. But, and this is a big but, I'm not sure they hold a candle compared to what Google is collecting and selling. It's the nature of the Internet today. Hell, even though he's not going to confirm it one way or another I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Lamont is collecting revenue from data mining that takes place on SL. SL shows up in Google searches so who knows how extensive the data mining is that Google does, with or without his acquiescence.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    At retail, no. On eBay, and other onliine sellers, probably, especially those who sell left over old stock. You just have to make sure it's a legit copy. Windows 8.1 is not a whole lot different from 7 once you add a third party menu program to it. It's pretty much the same under the hood. If your machine runs Vista it'll most likely run 7 or 8 with no problem. I even installed Win 7 on an XP machine and it runs good.

I have a product key available for a full version, not upgrade, of Win 8.1 that I bought for our church and never used. You can have it for what it cost us, $40. As has been mentioned, you cannot move up from Win Vista to 10. To go to 10 you must buy a copy of 7 or 8, or buy 10 outright.

As far as Bob's comment about it being spyware, that is true in that MS probably is collecting data and selling it. That's one reason why they want you to do everything in the cloud. But, and this is a big but, I'm not sure they hold a candle compared to what Google is collecting and selling. It's the nature of the Internet today. Hell, even though he's not going to confirm it one way or another I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Lamont is collecting revenue from data mining that takes place on SL. SL shows up in Google searches so who knows how extensive the data mining is that Google does, with or without his acquiescence.
    You would be wrong. You see any google ad's on here? Now the guys who bought my other sites make their money doing that. Nothing wrong with it but I'm not doing it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    My desktop currently runs Vista. I like it. But, Google Chrome sends a message that soon it will no longer support my Chrome since I have Vista, which is no longer supported.

So, should I upgrade to Windows 10 or use some other browser? What are the downsides to upgrading to 10?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    I upgraded from seven to windows 10 it's quite the learning curve. Microsoft technician support took control of my machine and it took them over seven hours to resolve my issue. I'm really considering going to a Mac computer. I'm currently using an iPad and an iPhone so it only makes sense to go with an Apple Computer.

That my two cents worth.

ToM
    Simplify
    Life is good

Spyder Garage

To my knowledge you can't upgrade from Vista to Windows 10. You would probably have to purchase windows 7 or 8.1 and then move to 10. Cheers

Spyder Garage

Default Whoa.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    I upgraded from seven to windows 10 it's quite the learning curve. Microsoft technician support took control of my machine and it took them over seven hours to resolve my issue. I'm really considering going to a Mac computer. I'm currently using an iPad and an iPhone so it only makes sense to go with an Apple Computer.

That my two cents worth.

ToM
    Simplify
    Life is good
    How much did a 7 hour Tech Support session set you back? I can't believe MS would tie up their support people for that long on THEIR dime.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Hell, even though he's not going to confirm it one way or another I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Lamont is collecting revenue from data mining that takes place on SL. SL shows up in Google searches so who knows how extensive the data mining is that Google does, with or without his acquiescence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You would be wrong. You see any google ad's on here? Now the guys who bought my other sites make their money doing that. Nothing wrong with it but I'm not doing it.
    This is one time I am really glad to learn I'm wrong! More power to you for being able to keep clear of Google control! You operate a superb site!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)