Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate vs Corbin

It's not like I can go to Walmart and try before I buy so I'm asking for some advise (free). I have the 2013 RT Limited and the seat is OK but after taking any kind of long distance ride of 150 miles or more my back and Butt wish they where back home. I have looked and priced both and the Corbin is approx. 50% less,so how does that equate in Comfort?

Spyder Garage

I have had two Corbin seats on my . One on the 2008 GS, and one on the 2010 RTS. Both had back rests and were not of the heated variety.

23,000 miles on the GS and 36,000 miles on the RTS.

With Corbin, you either like them or not. The seat feels hard to some and will never soften up. We who like them, say that is because Corbin gives a lot of support. You don't get absorbed by the seat.

For long trips, I found my Corbins just fine. I still have the one that came off my 2010 RTS with backrest. $300 plus shipping--about $100-$150 extra. Looks like new.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Corbin is a bit harder. Ultimate gets somewhat softer over time. Ultimate gives you more color options if you want that as well.

might try using an Airhawk or even some sheepskin sheep covers. i tend to use both on long runs.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I still have the one that came off my 2010 RTS with backrest. $300 plus shipping--about $100-$150 extra. Looks like new.

There you go!
    For the money; you can't go wrong!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Don't forget the new player (RT SEATS) in town, Mustang. I believe it will fit the thirteen too. I was hoping to get a real world review but nothing out there yet. Rolling the dice & ordering one tomorrow.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/gu...-can-am-spyder

Pat

Spyder Garage

i found the Corbin hard and slippery, especially for the passenger who kept sliding forward. No experience with Ultimate, Had a Mustang on my last cruiser and loved that seat to death, most comfortable bike seat i have ever been on.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And now; Mustang is making seats for Spyders!

Tony, we hope to see a "Report From The Saddle" from you soon about them!

Spyder Garage

I've had 3 Ultimate seats on various Valkyries, a Corbin on a VFR and now have an Ultimate on my 2013 RT-S. I found the Corbin to be overly hard and the Ultimates, firm but supportive. The Ultimates also took time, around 500 miles, to conform to my butt shape and were the reason we could complete our trip to Alaska, 8,622 miles, last year. For me, the backrest is indispensable.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need to go to a Spyder rally and sit on seats before you buy one. Do you have a Spyder club in your area? Chances are pretty good that someone there has both an Ultimate and a Corbin that they would let you sit on. Ultimate will be at Spyderfest.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    Corbin is a bit harder. Ultimate gets somewhat softer over time. Ultimate gives you more color options if you want that as well.

might try using an Airhawk or even some sheepskin sheep covers. i tend to use both on long runs.
    I bought a sheepskin at 2014 SF and it did make a difference but not much help for my back

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There you go!
    For the money; you can't go wrong!
    Thanks Bob but black just wont look right on the Lava bronze RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    Don't forget the new player (RT SEATS) in town, Mustang. I believe it will fit the thirteen too. I was hoping to get a real world review but nothing out there yet. Rolling the dice & ordering one tomorrow.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/gu...-can-am-spyder

Pat
    Let us know, I will probably wait until April. Need to find a seat for the Legacy Run this year.

Spyder Garage

Default No experience with Ultimate

However, I've had 3 Corbins, 2 Sargents, 1 Saddlemen and 1 Russell Day Long. The Corbin was on my Spyder when I bought it, and I liked it at first but now I don't. After a couple of hours it just seems like there is not enough cushion. I've got an Alaska Leather Sheepskin on it and am thinking about beads or an Air Hawk.

The RDL is far and away the best seat I've owned. If I ever decide to put any real hours in the seat, I'll probably send in my original Spyder seat and get another RDL.

I wonder if you will ever find anyone who has/had an RDL who wouldn't think it was a great seat.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Plus 1 on the RDL, they will set a seat up to match whatever you need, had one on my GS, great seat!

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Let us know, I will probably wait until April. Need to find a seat for the Legacy Run this year.
    Will do.

Pat

Spyder Garage

I was thinking about this yesterday when I went on a day long almost 800 mile ride, "There And Back Again". Rode to New Orleans, had cafe au lait and beignets (In pre-Mardi Gras traffic which was terrible in the French Quarter) and back home. Here's my story.

When I bought the '14 RT, plain vanilla version*, I took off the next day on a 600 mile ride. When I got back, I could not walk. Literally. I had to have help getting around. The next morning I was at my Family Doc who gave me a cortisone shot and by afternoon, I was walking OK. But, BEFORE that shot, I had ordered an Ultimate seat. Rush delivery. Prepped the bike by removing the factory seat and in less than a half hour after UPS showed up, the Ultimate was installed (the one with gas door which is so fantastic I can't..never mind) since that day, I've ridden 14,000 miles. NEVER ONCE have I ever had a single instance of a dead spot or sore butt or been unable to walk. You know, sometimes when you get off the bike after a long segment and you want to rub your butt to restore circulation. NO NEED TO DO SO with the Ultimate seat. The comfort is MOST EXCELLENT. I've been riding motrocycles of many brands. For over 40 years. This Ultimate is the most FANTASTIC seat I've ever used. I once rode a '67 Triumph Bonneville (about a half-inch of compressed foam) from Naples Italy to Amsterdam and back and suffered greatly but that's all there was so... (Navy) I've ridden West to East Coast on a Yamaha XS1100 and a BMW K1200LT and while they're great bikes, the seat was never ever as great as the Ultimate. But then, this is just me. Others have their story to tell.

*I've added things to the suspension, tires, handling, etc that made it an almost totally different handling bike from the one I rode out of the dealership. About 4 large worth.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could also check out Motorcycle Dave a sponsor here, he does seats.http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom-seats-heaters/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate seat

The wife has an Ultimate seat and backrest on her RT-S. She has a bad back and could only ride an hour or so on the stock seat but with the Ultimate she is very comfortable. I also have an RT-S and like the looks of the stock seat but it's not very comfortable. So I sent my seat to Astech seats in Indiana for a make over. I should have it back this week and will report on how it feels. I also bought a Utopia backrest a member here that I will install when it returns.

Spyder Garage

Corbin is a tractor style seat, and very firm. Loved it. Wife hated it. Ultimate was soft, and I had upper thigh pain and butt pain. Wife loved it. I have a RDL on order, build date is 3-3-16. Custom made! So many color options your head will spin. Less $$ than Corbin or Ultimate, or Mustang. Go figure. Picked up a used seat cheap to send to them. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Tom,
    I guess that we'll be waiting for your report on the RDL... I hope that it makes every end, of everybody happy!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default You can go to Wal-Mart and try one...

Well, kind of. Both Mustang and Ultimate will allow you to return a seat if it doesn't suite you. You're out shipping cost, but that's a lot cheaper than a bad $1k decision. I know with Ultimate it's two weeks if the seat has no visible damage or wear, I don't know how long it is with Mustang. If you buy a Corbin seat, it's yours, no returns. However, they will do minor alterations on the seat ONCE for free.

I have an Ultimate on my RT and love it, although towards the end of long rydes my upper thighs begin the burn a bit (the ridge behind the driver on the stock seat was very uncomfortable to me). I had a Mustang on my Honda Sabre and it provided incredible relief on long trips compared to the stock seat. I had a used Corbin on my Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager and it was great for a couple of weeks before I totaled the bike. Any non-stock seat is expensive but better than the stock seat IMHD.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Seat mod.

I have a 2013 RT/S. It had the stock lumbar support. I bought a used one from a member on here for 175 plus shipping and took the cover off and my Dremmel tool and cut out the lumbar foam, about 2' and kinda hollowed down the seat alittle in that 2 inches. did not touch the cover, just had it put back on. Added a utopia back rest. I had already added highway pegs and was ok but needed the back rest and 2''. I'm 6'0 and 250+lbs. with leg,neck and shoulder issues and I'm happy with what I have. 1.5 - 2 hours orso before "needing" to stop. I must say though that one of the best and first things we got were bead rider cushions. They are great for us. I go no where with out them. I got the non-wood beads. Acts a massage while riding and allows air to flow on hot days.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Corbin is a tractor style seat, and very firm. Loved it. Wife hated it. Ultimate was soft, and I had upper thigh pain and butt pain. Wife loved it. I have a RDL on order, build date is 3-3-16. Custom made! So many color options your head will spin. Less $$ than Corbin or Ultimate, or Mustang. Go figure. Picked up a used seat cheap to send to them. Tom
    I have the same problem as Dragonfly. It's hard to find an aftermarket seat in that nice tan color that goes with the lava bronze RT.

Your suggestion makes sense. First I'm going to try motorcycle Dave's gel insert In my ComfortSeat. If that doesn't do it for me, I'm going to look for a used ComfortSeat or pan and send it to RDL.
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-02-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Great feedback, thanks

Appreciate all the feedback and I am convinced that a Ultimate with gas door will be mine in the near future, this will allow me to put a big bag on the passenger seat and leave the trailer at home.

Spyder Garage

I have a Corbin on an ST, love it over stock and comfort seat.

Swing by and give it a ride. Still don't know where Nottoway is, but I'm in Tidewater.