Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dressing for the weather

How do you decide what to wear in colder weather? We bought our Spyder last May when it was warm. We haven't been out recently. My husband
    wore shorts and a jacket last time we went out in the fall in 71 degrees, while I was bundled up and my legs were a little cold. I've read that
    some people say there is no wind chill involved in riding and others say there is. Is it just trial and error and bringing along extra clothes in case
    you get cold?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's pretty tough to tell someone what they need to wear; we all have different tolerances for heat and cold!
    My advice: dress in layers... Remove something when you're warm, and add something when you're cold.
    After that; it's an individual trial and error process.
    Oh! The operator and passenger often are in completely different conditions when riding. My Missus is always cold about 15 degrees before I am. The pocket of still air that surrounds the rider; isn't quite large enough for two!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good Day
    You can also get some electrically heated gear, vest, gloves.
    There are many different brands of gear.

My wife and I use gear from EXO2 The heat inside, they are in Georgia.
    This brand wires to the Spyders battery.

Some brands use a rechargeable battery, can lose charge before your ride is done.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wind chill is a factor. Wicking clothing works great with an outer layer that will not allow wind penetration. As said prior layers are the key. Trial and error is a big factor. Good luck.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am now on my 10th bike in 10 years, and I learned early to dress in layers and take extra. The experience is your own, and no one can tell you how to ride. It was 70 here yesterday, and I rode with long johns, and jeans on the bottom. On the top, I had on one of my lighter weight leather jackets and I felt very comfortable. At an exit, I pulled up beside a guy on a R1 with shorts, T-shirt, and tennis shoes. From a safety point, he was not dressed correctly (in my opinion). But from a comfort stand point, I would have frozen. But, you have to do what your body says. With the spyder, it is easy to take extra clothing for those times when you get cold.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Some sort of windbreaker goes a long way in keeping warm. When it's cooler I wear jeans and then I have Klim over pants that have GoreTex. For my upper body I wear a long sleeve t-shirt, Gerbings heated jacket and then a quality riding jacket. I have either First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket or Klim. If it's real cold I'll put a sweatshirt over the heated jacket to insulate in the jacket heat.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I agree with Professor Denman. Anyone who lives life outdoors knows the value and convenience of layering. Tolerance for cold is individual of course, excepting the physics of skin and extremeties exposed to cold and windchill that can cause frost bite or frozen tissue. Whatever methods one uses in layering the outermost should provide a wind barrier.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm no professor...
    What I don't know; could fill volumes!
    But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

If you have heated gear you can adjust the temps and wear less clothing. If not then dress in layers you can add or remove accordingly. I use the warm gear heated liner and gloves but if you have more drastic weather you can add the pants. Some have heated seats and grips but they do not do the trick for me. RT ryders better benefit from that set up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Winter wear

I agree layering is the way to go . If in doubt go with more. It is easy to take off and roll up if it is too muck. Something that stops the wind for outer layer leather rain suit etc. If you smoke don't. That will cause the temp of fingers toes and ears to drop at least 10 degrees. Even if you smoke inside then go outside the effect of nicotine last a couple or hours.

Spyder Garage

Layering is the best way to find your specific comfort level.

Textile gear comes with liners for both the jacket and pants. For me, the liners go in when it gets to 40 degrees or so.

If I am not using textile riding pants, then Kevlar jeans are good, for an extra layer, on go the leather chaps.

No leather for temps below 30 degrees. Then its all textile and liners. Add a sweater and a balaclava for top protection.

Appropriate, heavier gloves are also good.

I do not use any heated gear. Don't like plugging in and out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kywinger View Post
    Good Day
    You can also get some electrically heated gear, vest, gloves.
    There are many different brands of gear.

My wife and I use gear from EXO2 The heat inside, they are in Georgia.
    This brand wires to the Spyders battery.

Some brands use a rechargeable battery, can lose charge before your ride is done.
    kywinger, I buy extra batteries and plug them in as needed. A battery will last 6-7 hours and the good part of it is I can use my jacket out in the field on my tractor or four wheeler....not having to fool with wires, etc. Works for me.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    kywinger, I buy extra batteries and plug them in as needed. A battery will last 6-7 hours and the good part of it is I can use my jacket out in the field on my tractor or four wheeler....not having to fool with wires, etc. Works for me.

That's a good option if you don't travel too far. For me I'd turn that on if I was a bit chilly and by the time it got real cold the battery would be dead. For long distance travel I think plug in is the only way to go. Textile jacket and pants for me with layers underneath.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Winter here in Arizona days can start in the low 40's and end up in the 70's. We layer silk long underwear, jeans, long sleeves and Tourmaster jackets and over pants. By afternoon we are removing layers and enjoying rydes!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

I'm the wrong person to be answering your question, but I have 2 cents left, so here it is...

Well, if I lacked common sense, I'd wear a t-shirt, shorts and slippers like many do here.

I love my BRP Cruise jacket, even if it's hot and I sweat, I feel somewhat protected. I have yet to use the liner that came with it.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dress for the slide; NOT for the ride!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

LOL!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    I'm the wrong person to be answering your question, but I have 2 cents left, so here it is...

Well, if I lacked common sense, I'd wear a t-shirt, shorts and slippers like many do here.

I love my BRP Cruise jacket, even if it's hot and I sweat, I feel somewhat protected. I have yet to use the liner that came with it.
    When we rented the on Maui (no longer available--), We started out with light nylon jackets, fingerless gloves, jeans, and half helmets. Man O Man, we did appear to be overdressed. It was in the high 90's that day. I finally ditched the jacket. And lived to tell about it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Dress in layers!

In the mornings( @ 4:05am when I am going to work/ a cool fall day) up here in Vermont I wear long sleeve shirt, then a fleece with 3/4 zipper or a long sleeve fleece, then my BRP jacket/with a removable liner. I wear gloves w/ thin slate. Boots( leather) with heavy socks, pants: jeans, Tech pants ( 100% water and wind resistance with a Sympatex laminated breathable and windproof lining, shaped legs, all seams sealed, front/and back ventilation at thighs, side zippers just below the waist for easy off/on. reflective cord on side seams. Front/ and back pockets.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    When we rented the on Maui (no longer available--), We started out with light nylon jackets, fingerless gloves, jeans, and half helmets. Man O Man, we did appear to be overdressed. It was in the high 90's that day. I finally ditched the jacket. And lived to tell about it.

It's the Rubba Slipas that really blow my mind when I see riders wearing them here. We've all seen pictures of the de-gloved foot...

Spyder Garage

let me be the first to encourage you to go a different route besides the clothing. add yourself some Baker Wings. they are a site sponsor and the wings will cut the wind off of you when you want and add some wind to you when you want it. they are also great for keeping the rain off of you as well.

my wife was out of town one weekend so I installed them on our bike. she got home and wanted to ride. it was in February and the temps were in the 40's. we got going and I asked her if she noticed a difference? she said NO. then I opened the wings up and she popped me on the back of the head and said please close them .. NOW.

from then on she was hooked.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I suggest that you always wear long pants at least, if it is cool you will be warmer, if it gets real hot the sun won't bother your legs , and layer up from there.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Too true, safety should be the primary concern, then comfort, I rode solo for many years, then sidecar outfits etc, even on the Spyder I ride with Kevlar jeans, boots and either leather or newer style jackets with inserts. A spill even at slower speeds can do a lot of damage to bare skin. I've seen people over here in Oz, particularly in Queensland where it can be quite warm riding with little on, scary stuff. There seems to be enough of a variety of gear these days to accomodate both safety and comfort.