Spyder Garage

Default Lost a body panel. :-(

It was a breezy day on Saturday. I guess that is an understatement!
    Cruising the highway enjoying a beautiful 46 mile ride to a friends house and when I got there I noticed the right side body panel was gone.
    The entire ride was head on into the constant wind and there were a couple wind gusts which noticeably pushed the bike. I am guessing one of those gust went straight past the wheel well and into the engine compartment pushing it up and out like a kite. There was no luck finding it on the road side the next day.
    It's an expensive $200 ride.

The pic is of the left side equivalent to the missing one.

Has anyone else had this happen, or know of a better solution to securing the plastic/rubber push pins?
    Thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markyodo; 02-23-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

One suggestion that i can make is when you (or others) take that or any panel off for any reason, before you put it back on .................... Spray a shot of windex into each one of the rubber grommets on the Spyder, when you do it helps the peg to go into the grommet easier and the windex dries very quickly and has a minor amount of stickiness to it that helps hold the panel on, also be sure that all of the pegs are in the grommet securely. Never use any type of oily or greasy (wd-40 etc) lubricant or cleaner on the rubber grommets.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Good advice ty!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The grommets probably had been pushed through and that is why it came off. Be sure to check the panels, especially after you have it in for service, to be sure they are on securely. If you put them on in a hurry and aren't careful you can easily push the grommets through. And as Cruzr Joe said use Windex - don't use grease. The idea is to get them on easily and have them stay on.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS PART

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    Cruising the highway enjoying a beautiful 46 mile ride to a friends house and when I got there I noticed the right side body panel was gone.
    The entire ride was head on into the constant wind and there were a couple wind gusts which noticeably pushed the bike. I am guessing one of those gust went straight past the wheel well and into the engine compartment pushing it up and out like a kite. There was no luck finding it on the road side the next day.

Has anyone else had this happen, or know of a better solution to securing the plastic/rubber push pins?
    Thanks...
    ....Check here for a better price....PROCALIBER.COM -- if you register ( it's free ) the prices shown will be the dis-counted prices......and they ship for free $99.00 and over ( total order )....Mike

Spyder Garage

I put a small ziptie around the grommet. Keep it in place and keep from losing it. I was using Vaseline on the grommets but not anymore. I like the Windex idea better.

Spyder Garage

I always install lanyards on my GoldWings' pop-out panels, and I will be doing the same on my wife's Spyder very soon.

Spyder Garage

If you pull off the opposite side panel on the inside you will see a small plastic clip that is part of the panel in the vicinity of where you show part #365 in your illustration. If that clip is not snapped down firmly onto the panel above it, I believe it's PN705007105, it seems possible a strong wind could lift the lateral side panel away from the Spyder leaving nothing but the pins and rubber grommets holding it in place. Just a semi-educated guess.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I lost one soon after buying my Spyder, and made the dealer replace it under warranty. I came home and used a piece of plastic coated wire and two tie wraps to secure both panels to the bike. There is also a post on the forum where a member used a small carabiner so you can unclip the panel if needed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you pull off the opposite side panel on the inside you will see a small plastic clip that is part of the panel in the vicinity of where you show part #365 in your illustration. If that clip is not snapped down firmly onto the panel above it, I believe it's PN705007105, it seems possible a strong wind could lift the lateral side panel away from the Spyder leaving nothing but the pins and rubber grommets holding it in place. Just a semi-educated guess.
    This is correct, and snapping the clip under the panel above is what puts the panel under tension and holds it there.

Spyder Garage

I have my panels wired to the frame. I wound one end of the wire under the screw that holds the chrome Can-Am piece #187 on to the panel, the other end on a caribiner through a hole in the frame. Left one came off once, but the wire saved it. Cheap & easy. Sorry you have to buy a new panel.

Edit: That's me post # 9. I will try and find the pictures I took and post them.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 02-23-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Me Too

[QUOTE=Big Mac;1094832]I always install lanyards on my GoldWings' pop-out panels, and I will be doing the same on my wife's Spyder very soon.

I will be doing the same on my Wife very soon.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I lost one and it was replaced under warranty.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Great advice from everyone as always.
    Calling the dealership today to get my warranty details.
    The grommets are all still in place, but I did notice they had a bit of grease or something on them. I assume the manufacturer or dealer does this.
    Windex, zip ties, lanyards, wires are all great ideas. oldguyinCT, if you have pics that would be awesome!

Ask me about my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I used a piece of Velcro at the top of the panel

Spyder Garage

Great advice from everyone as always.
    Calling the dealership today to get my warranty details.
    The grommets are all still in place, but I did notice they had a bit of grease or something on them. I assume the manufacturer or dealer does this.
    Windex, zip ties, lanyards, wires are all great ideas. oldguyinCT, if you have pics that would be awesome!
    Here is a picture.

"A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I spoke with the dealer (maintenance) yesterday, who called me back today and informed me that BRP would not replace the piece(s) under warranty. Bummer..

Ask me about my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

A good idea to check body panels before rides.

Every time I bring my in for an oil change service, the mechanic fails to properly latch the panels. When mentioned to the service advisor, I get a "this is not my first rodeo" reply. In other words, they don't want any advice or information from the peanut gallery.

I always re-set the panels properly before I drive off from the service. Also, I always check out that panels are inserted before any rides. Saves a lot of grief.

And...I am biding my time with the wise guy service advisor. The owner is aware, but its the only service department I can go to for now. I still like my so am stuck for the moment.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks...
    Shortly after purchasing I added retainers. I wired key ring clips so they are easily removable. The wires are short enough that if the panel comes free it won'd get caught up in anything. The photos show zip ties which I used to test my idea. I replaced them with picture hanger wire. Thin and flexible but sturdy.

CJ JAX