Spyder Garage

Default RT 2010 spyder SE5 fuel gauge bouncing

Hi all", I am peter and new to Canam Spyders. I have just purchased a CanAm RT 2010 Spyder SE5 and had it about a month now. I have noticed the Fuel Gauge bouncing up and down and contacted the place where I bought it from. I have extended warranty with the bike. I told the service guys that my fuel gauge is bouncing up and down and he said they all do that, and he asked me what fuel I am putting in it. I told him 95 or 98 octane. The gauge bounces I noticed when I ride over roads that have little bumps on them, but it even started bouncing when I ride it on the freeway. I believe it may be a fuel sender because it does not bounce when just sitting still. I have to ride the bike 280 kms just for them to look at it, but I would like it fixed or replaced. From my reading", I have read that certain model Spyders do that. I don't want to replace the gauges with any other gauges except the ones that belong to the bike.

Regards Peter

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The analog gauge does that. If you unhook the temperature and fuel gauges on the dash the gauges will appear on the LCD screen in the middle. Take out the four screws in the dash, pull it out and unplug the wires. You must do both gauges for this to work. The electronic gauges are much more accurate.

Welcome.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 RTS and when my first gauge bounced I had it replaced under warranty, then the 2nd one bounced and I said fix it again. After all we paid more for those lousy analog gauges, the base model didn't have them. Then I learned about disconnecting the analog and using the digital gauges, I was amazed how much farther I went on a tank of gas before the fuel light came on. I took my Spyder in for service and when I picked it up they had reconnected the analog gauges. The gauge on my 2013 RT wasn't much better and I disconnected it too but finally the gauges on the 2014 RT don't bounce and are really accurate.

Len has you covered on how to do it just know that the fuel graph will be on the right and the temp graph will be on the left.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FUEL GUAGE

....Two things, #1.... the service guy asked, what fuel you were using in regards to a bouncing gauge needle ???? ......BIG RED FLAG goes up in my mind.......# 2. 95 to 98 Octane !!!!!.... your 998 twin runs fine on 87 octane and anyone who tells otherwise .....well I won't get into that ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks mate for the writeup

Thanks Mate I do that then

regards Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The analog gauge does that. If you unhook the temperature and fuel gauges on the dash the gauges will appear on the LCD screen in the middle. Take out the four screws in the dash, pull it out and unplug the wires. You must do both gauges for this to work. The electronic gauges are much more accurate.

Welcome.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Hi mate", thanks for that post

regards Peter

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Two things, #1.... the service guy asked, what fuel you were using in regards to a bouncing gauge needle ???? ......BIG RED FLAG goes up in my mind.......# 2. 95 to 98 Octane !!!!!.... your 998 twin runs fine on 87 octane and anyone who tells otherwise .....well I won't get into that ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Cool Thanks Mike LOL

Hi mate", thanks for that post Mike

regards Peter

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 rt se5 and have disconnected the analog gauges and have found that the display gauges are alot more accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

on your recent purchase. Yes, the 2010 and 2011 versions of the RT do have the bouncing gas gauge. I replaced two on the 2010 with no success.

Highwayman and SpyderAnn both have you covered on a fix. I did that with both my 2010 and 2011.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The makeup of our fuel down here in NZ and Australia is different to yours, and the minimum octane requirement for us is 92.
    Our options are 91, 95, 98. We used to get away with running the pre 2012 on 91 octane, but anything later than that will not run properly on 91.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics