Spyder Garage

Default Need help identifying the right connector

I bought a Gear Brake brake flashing module to install on our 2014 RT Limited.

Installation directions that came with the unit was a bit less than adequate. Beyond identifying where on the bike that the connector to the brake lights was located, it was no help once the area was accessed only to find that there are two 10 pin connectors in that area.

Question is which of these two 10 pin connectors should this unit be plugged into?
    Don't want to plug into the wrong and risk damage to either the bike or the unit.
    Hope to finish this install so we can ride tomorrow. Supposed to get up 50 degrees, so to will be a ride day with or without this brake light flasher installed.
    Thanks for help in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I might be over simplifying it but how about disconnecting one and stepping on the brake pedal and then putting that back and disconnecting the other one and again stepping on the brake pedal. Since the brake lights work (at least on our 2015 RT) without the key wouldn't this tell you which one was the brake circuit?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLL

....I hate guessing , but since you have the LTD. I think one of those plugs is the feed for the trailer wiring harness. What isn't shown ( I believe ) is the wiring actually connected to the harness .....what you see is sort of a PIG-TAIL for the trailer.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Bingo!

Usually, the right side connector, as the left heads toward the trailer connection. Disconnect the right one, and step on the brake. If nothing lights up, plug in the modulator, and step again. You cannot hurt it. BRP is famous for oddball wiring, colors, and connections. Infamous, actually! The normal tail light wire colors are red, orange, brown, purple and black, which seem to be in both bundles. If they were laid in and changed sides, no problem. Swap. Let us know. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default The older I get...

... the more the most obvious solutions escape me! Unplug, step on brake, what could be more obvious?

Thanks guys. I'll report back which plug later this morning.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights

Spyder Garage

Default Done

Unplugged the right connector and stepped on the brake pedal, no brake lights. Installed the Gear Brake module via attached connectors.

Tested it and seems to be working as advertised.

Link to You Tube video, 12 second video showing operation:

https://youtu.be/OweDP2DzCXw

Thanks again to those who helped!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pjweimer; 01-30-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: additional info

Spyder Garage

Default So glad I found this post ... installed in 3 minutes!

I came across this post while looking to see exactly how I was supposed to install the Gear Brake I ordered. And once I saw the photos above showing where the wires were, I looked, and low and behold I didn't have to undo a single screw!

Now, the trick here is to have small hands. That small panel under the left (as you sit on the bike) passenger area where the wire that connects to the seat feeds through is held down on the right side by just two plastic clips. If you hands are small, you can lift the edge of the panel enough to reach in and fish out the brake connection.

As PJWEIMER stated, it is the connection on the right if you have a trailer hitch (which I did, so thank you for saving me the trouble of identifying it! ). Once the Gear Brake module is inserted between the brake lines, stuff it all back under the panel, and feed the decelerometer up through the panel hole. I stuck mine to the side, it just barely fits under the seat, but did fit.

Push the panel back under the two clips and voila, you're done! If the panel doesn't want to lay flat, one of the module connectors is probably up on it's side so give it a nudge, if they are flat, they fit easily under the panel.

Hope this helps someone else who comes looking. I too brought the Gear Brake versus the other options just for the decelerometer feature. Our Spyders really slow down when you get off the throttle.