Thread: Battery Removal

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Removal

I finally have a battery that crapped out on me. I think removing it really probably isn't that hard but if you have any ideas that might be able to help me that would be greatly appreciated. It's a 2012 Semi-Automatic RS Model. I googled it but it doesn't seem to be any information for the life of me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY

....I know this may sound dumb, but have you looked in your Manual yet ? ? ?......Mike .................. Also exactly what problem are you having, it could be anyone of 50 things , so if you could narrow it down that would help
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-27-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

try this after you look in your manual

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...a-2010-2012-RT

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    try this after you look in your manual

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...a-2010-2012-RT
    That video is for an RT.

If the RS 2012 is the same as an RS 2011 then it's very easy to get to the battery so as long as you don't have the pannier frame (I think on the RS2013 or 2014 they moved the location but I may be wrong).

The battery is located behind the rear left-hand panel:

• Remove the two bolts at the front of the panel where it joins with the other panel.
    • Remove the 3 bolts at the bottom of the panel (they also go through the mudflap)
    • Lift the seat and remove the two black plastic 'thingies' (sorry don't know their proper name:-)) that hold the panel on under the pillon part of the seat.

You may need to disconnect the indicator wire but from memory there is enough play to let you drop the panel down enough to get to the battery.

The battery itself is on it's side under the pillon part of the seat. the terminals are just behind the panel and the battery slides out to the left. I'm guessing there's a strap or clamp holding in place but can't remember which.

If you have got pannier brackets then you'll need to remove the left one which will make the job more complex.

Spyder Garage

Here you go, picture of the battery in situ (don't worry you don't have to dismantle things this far:-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help guys. I'll look at the manual tomorrow and take a look at the videos in the morning. Will probably wait for a couple more weeks until the weather gets warmer to change out the battery.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Quote Originally Posted by sypderrobinson134 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll look at the manual tomorrow and take a look at the videos in the morning. Will probably wait for a couple more weeks until the weather gets warmer to change out the battery.
    ....Some here have tried batteries other than Yuasa ( oem ). Personally I wouldn't.......jmho.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quick Note, I did check my owners manual but aside from saying you should you a maintenance free battery it doesn't say much. I'm going to let it get a little warmer before I invest in the battery just so that I don't have to worry about the weather this year. But thank you a ton for all of the help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is fairly easy and quick to do, make sure all your connections are secure after the fact, Don't ask me how I know.

Spyder Garage

I can only guess how you know lol. I'm going to probably pick one up in the next couple of weeks and put it in. Then I gotta work on fully securing the passenger floorboards I got, then it's onto a seat as you may have seen that discussion elsewhere lol.

Spyder Garage

Bought an Odyssey from west coast batteries warranted it for cost of shipping after 5 years think its the same exact model

Norm H Austin Tx
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YES INDEED, make sure ALL THE CONNECTIONS ARE PROPERLY SECURED, also don't ask me how I KNOW. Just do it. It is really easy to do. Nothing worse than when you turn the key on and hit the start button CLICK CLICK WTF ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sypderrobinson134 View Post
    I finally have a battery that crapped out on me. I think removing it really probably isn't that hard but if you have any ideas that might be able to help me that would be greatly appreciated. It's a 2012 Semi-Automatic RS Model. I googled it but it doesn't seem to be any information for the life of me.
    An investment in a good 5 stage battery charger- for example-Extreme brand will go a long way in keeping the battery conditioned & can even save low battery

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey folks hope you don't mind me asking on this thread but can anyone tell me how to get to the nut on the end of the earth wire bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ....................SCOTLAND...................... ...
    ...............08 GS...................

Spyder Garage

Do u have a picture all of the stuff on mine was in fact fairly easy I thought of shooting a video and didn't maybe I shoulda

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't sorry I did manage to get to it in the end,I had to remove the rear fuse box from the bracket on the frame and move some wires about so I could get a 10ml ring spanner through a small gap [emoji1][emoji1]

....................SCOTLAND...................... ...
    ...............08 GS...................

Spyder Garage

Default That ground nut

I am a 1 day expert but I took off the ground nut to put on a connection for a battery tender-well I screwed out the bolt and the nut fell somewhere. I had to use some gasket cement to stick a nut to my finger and reach way under the bolt- it worked. Bad design, I wonder if there is a way to correct it.. Tap the frame post it fits into? Jim

Spyder Garage

Default Ground post issues

I ended up putting a bolt up from the bottom of the hole in the ground post on the frame. Then I used a lock washer and nut on top. There is now a small post sticking up that can be used with ease. Jim

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My battery on my 09 gs reached the end of its life
    (stopped holding charge)
    i bought one on Amazon for less than a 100$

when it came I added the acid which was enclosed
    it's not hard at all it was my first time doing this

i had a battery charger from Walmart which did a great job in charging the battery