Spyder Garage

Question Any DIY SpyderPops Bumpskid

So I ordered the bumpskid some time ago for my 2014 ST-L

A friend was supposed to help me get it installed as I have health issues gettin down low. Of course...months later...he has not shown (you know how that goes).

The photos that came are vague as far as where the brackets go. And the photos appear to be from an older model Spyder. As many of these that have been installed here.....I cant believe we dont have a DIY on this product....some good installation, step by step photos. Bracket location I think is what we need the most.

My wife and I may tackle this project this weekend...if not before the Sun comes back. Some better photos or video would be great. Any links ? I cant find any.

If not, we will try to figure it out and take some detailed install photos.

Thanks to the Spyder dudes and dudettes out there !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://spyderpops.com/

Give Harvey a call... He'd be the best one on the Planet to answer any questions about the installation process.

(501) 760 1234
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    http://spyderpops.com/

Give Harvey a call... He'd be the best one on the Planet to answer any questions about the installation process.

(501) 760 1234
    It may come to that. I just could not believe we dont have a DIY on the site for this with all the installs. The photos on the instructions are not clear and are from an older model Spyder. I just don't want my wife or I to get under there and cant figure out where the brackets go.

Thanks for Harvey's phone number !

If anyone does have better photos of exactly where the brackets go, on an ST or newer model....it would be greatly appreciated.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Default Call

After you talk to Harvey, and start, if you get lost, call me. I've done dozens of them. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Based on my experience installing the bump skid on my RT I would say that if you get the front wheels of your Spyder up on a set of automobile wheel ramps where you can get the OEM mini-skid plate off and see the area the new bump skid will cover you will find the directions are more clear. If not, as others have said call Harvey. IMO, it's not a job that is so difficult a DIY video is needed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Based on my experience installing the bump skid on my RT I would say that if you get the front wheels of your Spyder up on a set of automobile wheel ramps where you can get the OEM mini-skid plate off and see the area the new bump skid will cover you will find the directions are more clear. If not, as others have said call Harvey. IMO, it's not a job that is so difficult a DIY video is needed.

Thanks.

I am pretty handy at these types of things. It is just unclear where the brackets go. It may make more sense when I can see under the Spyder....but I am afraid it will be my wife scooting under there (you know how that goes !....I would rather back an RV with her help ! ).

I did buy ramps, a nice jack and jack stands. Have all the tools.....so we are ready !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Hi Craig,

Re: .....so we are ready !

Pick a day and I'll come down and give you a hand. Just no last minutes notices,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I've never installed one but I am fairly mechanical.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Cool

it's really easy to figure out how from the instructions

part of the issue is being able to lift and hold the new skid (twice) to bolt it up.

drive the machine up on 2 ramps and set the brake

slither under and take out the bolts holding the (small) stock skid plate noting where they screw in on the frame

then using 3 or 4 of those, bolt up the new big skid
    then use the respective holes in it to drill the holes for the brackets
    I just stuck the drill through the middle of the holes and drilled being careful to go a little at a time with a good, sharp metal bit
    I didn't want to have the drill poke hard through and put the radiator hose behind the frame in jeopardy.

it's pretty easy to understand following the directions
    I did the install solo, so it was a bit of a physical challenge for me
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

I installed one on an ST-L, it really wasn't bad. I rode up on ramps then jacked it up with a floor jack and put blocks on the ramps to get the front up to the height they recommended in the instructions. The rest wasn't that bad, the directions covered all areas well. Just read through the directions good first.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It does help if there are 2 of you, one to hold it and the other to drive in the bolt. Put a couple in on one side then move to the other side. You need some pretty good upper body strength to drill the 2 holes, I don't know if I could do it myself, so your wife may have trouble with that part. Other than that it is a piece of cake!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I installed one (with the light kit) on my 2015 RT-S a few months ago.

I agree with the comment - use a set of auto-ramps to lift up the front end, as it makes it a lot easier.

I am *NOT* that mechanical, but was able to get it installed without any issues.

If you can't find the instructions on their website, let me know and I can email the pdf to you.

Maybe we should have a tech-day in NW Oregon! I have a anti-sway bar to install but don't have a way to lift the spyder up high enough to install it.

-Fratz - Aloha, Oregon (Just West of Portland)

Spyder Garage

deleted
    posted by mistake in wrong thread

Spyder Garage

Regarding Ann's comment about drilling the holes, a good sharp drill bit will be worth its weight in gold and a center punch to mark the exact spots will make it an easy job. On my Spyder it was low enough that I could use wrist and forearm muscles to get all the leverage I needed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hi fratzba,

Re: Maybe we should have a tech-day in NW Oregon! I have a anti-sway bar to install but don't have a way to lift the spyder up high enough to install it.

I'm 3/4 mile west of Murray Blvd. I did my sway-bar myself.

Give me a call) 503-848-7805

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember: he's got an ST; NOT an RT...
    Different animal...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    I installed one on an RT-L, it really wasn't bad. I rode up on ramps then jacked it up with a floor jack and put blocks on the ramps to get the front up to the height they recommended in the instructions. The rest wasn't that bad, the directions covered all areas well. Just read through the directions good first.

Agree :-)
    Harvey's instructions are really good.
    Last edited by HayRog; 01-28-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    So I ordered the bumpskid some time ago for my 2014 ST-L

A friend was supposed to help me get it installed as I have health issues gettin down low. Of course...months later...he has not shown (you know how that goes).

The photos that came are vague as far as where the brackets go. And the photos appear to be from an older model Spyder. As many of these that have been installed here.....I cant believe we dont have a DIY on this product....some good installation, step by step photos. Bracket location I think is what we need the most.

My wife and I may tackle this project this weekend...if not before the Sun comes back. Some better photos or video would be great. Any links ? I cant find any.

If not, we will try to figure it out and take some detailed install photos.

Thanks to the Spyder dudes and dudettes out there !
    I installed one a couple months ago on my 2014 STL.

Looks great, and is very well made. The only small issue is that this sits lower then the old one, and even though the difference is small, I could still notice it a couple of times.

I did have to make one very small modification to make it fit in right. On the Spyder, there is an area where the factory skidplate is notched out on the left side of the bike. There is plastic that protrudes lower then the frame rail, I believe this protects the battery. When mounting the bumpskid, when we got to the back screws, I noticed that it would not mount against the frame rail as it is supposed to. To fix this, I removed the bumpskid and notched out a small section of the corner of it

Harvey is very helpful, and picked up right away when I called on a Saturday.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Drilling

About drilling----SAFETY GLASSES and good light.

1Mark the hole with a center punch( deep, as your up side down)
    2. Use a pilot drill------ like an 1/8" first, at high speed. (MUCH easier to drill through steel)
    3. Drill desired size at lower speed.
    4. Ease off the drilling pressure as the drill breaks through the steel.
    I did it when installing the anti-sway bar so I had the much higher and please make sure it's secure.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iGot2Fly View Post
    I installed one a couple months ago on my 2014 STL.

Looks great, and is very well made. The only small issue is that this sits lower then the old one, and even though the difference is small, I could still notice it a couple of times.

I did have to make one very small modification to make it fit in right. On the Spyder, there is an area where the factory skidplate is notched out on the left side of the bike. There is plastic that protrudes lower then the frame rail, I believe this protects the battery. When mounting the bumpskid, when we got to the back screws, I noticed that it would not mount against the frame rail as it is supposed to. To fix this, I removed the bumpskid and notched out a small section of the corner of it

Harvey is very helpful, and picked up right away when I called on a Saturday.

Thanks for the advice and the issue with notching out that corner...I will look for that. Some of the BEST photos I have seen to date on some of the install ! . Thanks ! Do you happen to have a photo showing all 4 brackets installed ? Above should be great help.....printing them off.

Thanks to everyone for the advice !

Thanks Jerry on the offer ! I may take you up on that... if so I would certainly give you ample notice.

Thanks again everyone ! (I wish I was as flexible as I was in my 20's !)
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    Thanks for the advice and the issue with notching out that corner...I will look for that. Some of the BEST photos I have seen to date on some of the install ! . Thanks ! Do you happen to have a photo showing all 4 brackets installed ? Above should be great help.....printing them off.

Thanks to everyone for the advice !

Thanks Jerry on the offer ! I may take you up on that... if so I would certainly give you ample notice.

Thanks again everyone ! (I wish I was as flexible as I was in my 20's !) [emoji106]
    No problem, glad I could help! Unfortunately, those are the only ones I have. I would say that even with a motorcycle lift, it was not easy but not that bad. The hardest part is fitting it up there after you have the brackets installed.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Looks like you are well on your way to installation.

You will like it a lot. Lights up the front end of the and is functional as well. I like mine a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red