Thread: Analog Gauges

Spyder Garage

Default Analog Gauges

I have noticed that many are removing the gauges on their machines. Are they defective or inaccurate . I would like to have a set as the center console bars are to hard for me to see. Any out there for sale ?............

Spyder Garage

Most who remove them do so because the digital gauges in the centre display are significantly more accurate (ie they have a vague resemblance to accuracy that the analogue gauges just don't get anywhere near!) and they are easier to see/read at a glance....

It sounds like trying the BRP OEM Analogue gauges on the basis of them being easier to see/read might not be such a great idea!! But if you feel you have difficulties with the OEM Digital gauges anyway, then maybe you should try better quality A/mkt analogue gauges instead, rather than the OEM Analogue units that already have a poor track record in that regard?!

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    I have noticed that many are removing the gauges on their machines. Are they defective or inaccurate . I would like to have a set as the center console bars are to hard for me to see. Any out there for sale ?............
    A lot might depend on what year bike you have... and what gauges you get for it.
    On my 2010 RT; the fuel gauge was about as accurate as a simple W.A.G.
    But on my 2014; it's the most accurate gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle!
    The older gauges were also prone to "bouncing"... The needles would bob up and down, and be impossible to read.
    The new ones are rock-solid!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also have found that the gauges on my 2014 RT are much more accurate then the ones on either my 2010 or 2013 were. It isn't hard to turn off the analog gauges if you want to see how it looks. Just remove the 4 torx screws around the display then unplug the analogs (you have to unplug both for it to work). If you like the stacked bar graphs better than the analog then you can decide what to replace your analogs with. There are many options to choose from.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A lot might depend on what year bike you have... and what gauges you get for it.
    On my 2010 RT; the fuel gauge was about as accurate as a simple W.A.G.
    But on my 2014; it's the most accurate gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle!
    The older gauges were also prone to "bouncing"... The needles would bob up and down, and be impossible to read.
    The new ones are rock-solid!
    One of the techs at the Lamonster Garage, during Lamonts BBQ in 2014, said that there had been some sort of electromagnetic interference with the gauges that caused the gauges to not function correctly. The issue was finally resolved with the 2014 RTs. I don't know if the solution involved wiring changes on the bike, or a redesign of the gauges, i.e., I don't know if the 2014 gauges would be accurate on an older bike.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All that I can tell you, is that the "Low Fuel" warning light now comes on, when I can put 5.5 gallons in the tank...
    This allows me to travel over 200 miles between fuel-stops. My 2010's fuel gauge wasn't anywhere near that confidence-inspiring!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GUAGE INACCURACY

....Just a thought....Is the problem with the ...GAUGE...or .....the SENDER....., because if it's really the sender than changing the gauge won't make a difference.............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good point! But I don't know if the O.P. identified the year of the bike in question...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Just a thought....Is the problem with the ...GAUGE...or .....the SENDER....., because if it's really the sender than changing the gauge won't make a difference.............Mike
    What the tech said was there was some kind of magnetic interference with the gauge. The sender wouldn't be the problem because the digital readouts worked good and they get the signal from the same source.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IN-ACCURACY

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What the tech said was there was some kind of magnetic interference with the gauge. The sender wouldn't be the problem because the digital readouts worked good and they get the signal from the same source.
    ..........That makes sense ...........Thanks,. Mike