Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default it aint no GOPRO

Helmet from pawnshop $20.. Camera Olympus waterproof with video. Drill hole in top of helmet put correct thread bolt through hole and epoxy in and there you have my $20 GoPro .. Works for me..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But I'd be concerned about that bolt-head being down in the space where your heads needs to be, if you were in an accident...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I guess that since they call the devices designed to drive a bolt directly into the brain of an animal being slaughtered at the meat works = 'Humane Killers', then it's not such a big step to modify the design & wear your own homemade version as a 'Human Killer'!

Altho it might not be such a great idea if you value your life &/or your functioning brain, but it's pretty sure to be effective at terminating either/both if you hit the camera firmly, and there's certainly been a lot of 'proof of concept' testing done on animals already, so I guess the next step is usually to look for human volunteers!! I just didn't expect people to jump quite so readily at the chance!!

Possibly not not my idea of a good headwear option, but if you are planning a 'suicide by motor vehicle' then it's probably right up there near the top of the list of suitable headwear!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

There's nothing wrong with drilling into a $20 helmet, as long as you don't wear it when riding.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default measure twice cut once

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But I'd be concerned about that bolt-head being down in the space where your heads needs to be, if you were in an accident...
    helmet padding is 3/4 inch, bolt is 3/4 inch so it may touch your head if I were to land directly on it, probably win the LOTTERY 1st.. Use it only when im putting around the country roads at aprox. 25 mph.. Now can you find something positive with my creation or are we just looking for negativity on any post you can?? Cmon man.. Oh ya if I do win the LOTTERY i will go buy$$ me an expensive GOPRO..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did put a "" for a reason: I admire your ability to think outside of the box.
    I just wasn't sure about the bolt head; that's all!
    Perhaps some extra closed-cell foam padding over it, would help...
    I DID think that my post was less critical than the others...

...But that's just me!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-27-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

An ingenious out of the box solution for attaching a camera to a helmet.

Most have chimed in because they see a safety issue with your situation.

I see the following issues:

: Don't drill a helmet--it can create issues when called upon in a crash.

: If you do have an accident and the top of the helmet hits the ground--the forces are going to compress the bolt right into the top of your head. (Think of people losing their shoes in an impact--due to "forces.") If the helmet don't fly off--its going to do the opposite.

: Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home and at speeds under 30.

On this one, we have your safety in mind. I recommend calling this idea good--but under consideration to not use, because of the potential safety issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

opiewhan, please don't use the helmet like that. That's the stuff that Darwin awards are made from.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

great Idea but that would have been a good place to stop. velcro, double sided tape etc would have better kept the integrity of your helmet...but hey, did you get us some footage with this find...??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users spydermanstever's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did put a "" for a reason: I admire your ability to think outside of the box.
    I just wasn't sure about the bolt head; that's all!
    Perhaps some extra closed-cell foam padding over it, would help...
    I DID think that my post was less critical than the others...

...But that's just me!
    Ingenious, but probably not safe. I don't think helmets were designed to be drilled into. Perhaps if you want to wear it, consider a carriage bolt head underneath instead of a hex bolt head - easier on your head in an impact. Just my thoughts.
    SpydermanStever
    2015 CanAm Spyder RT Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

Garmin Montana 650 GPS
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    BajaRon Anti-Swaybar
    FOBO Tpm's
    Lamonster Lidlox Combo Handlebar Helmet Locks, Spyder Cuff Cup & Phone Holder
    Big Bike Parts Fairing Bra
    Custom Dynamics LED lighting - high mount brake light and all reflectors changed to LED
    WOLO Air Horn
    BRP CB, Satellite Radio, Headset
    BRP RT-622 Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default 3M tape mounted and 1/4 20 camera hole

http://www.htinter.com/accessories/m...ts-camera.html

No screw thru helmet may make it a bit safer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

please value your life. you can buy a can-am, then you should be able to afford a safe way to attach a camera.
    modification of the helmet disturbs the impact absorption property of the helmet shell.

at 25 miles fall is already enough to kill you. try falling a 15 miles per hr of a bicycle. head injury is no laughing matter.

be safe out there. understand that you live in a SOCIETY. meaning that your action affect everyone! who do you think picks up after you when you have an accident on the public road ? even private road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default We comment because we care

I don't feel anyone is dogging you for the idea, they're just commenting and voicing their concerns because I feel everyone cares about your well being. I see what has been said as no different than a couple weeks back when I posted about a new brake pedal. Cruzr Joe was kind enough to point a couple things out that I may have not thought of or overlooked. Although I had visited both items, it made me start thinking how if I did it again what changes I might make and how I can improve my processes. I like your idea and your ingenuity. I am sure you will continue to improve your design. This is how we get new designs and products. And if nothing else, sometimes it is just fun to make your own path.
    Last edited by kngfsh27; 01-28-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

i'll just say...it's not something i'd do or wear.

YMMV.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the spyder world/

Kinda like the land of OZ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by opiewhan View Post
    Helmet from pawnshop $20.. Camera Olympus waterproof with video. Drill hole in top of helmet put correct thread bolt through hole and epoxy in and there you have my $20 GoPro .. Works for me..
    i say test it out skydiving or bunji jumping

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    An ingenious out of the box solution for attaching a camera to a helmet.

Most have chimed in because they see a safety issue with your situation.

I see the following issues:

: Don't drill a helmet--it can create issues when called upon in a crash.

: If you do have an accident and the top of the helmet hits the ground--the forces are going to compress the bolt right into the top of your head. (Think of people losing their shoes in an impact--due to "forces.") If the helmet don't fly off--its going to do the opposite.

: Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home and at speeds under 30.

On this one, we have your safety in mind. I recommend calling this idea good--but under consideration to not use, because of the potential safety issues.

X2
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Maybe glue the camera on, NO BOLTS THRU THE HELMET.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

AGREE!

Spyder Garage

Default Great idea

I think the nut that holds the handlebars should be checked for excessive looseness tho'.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

on the positive side, there is a lawsuit waiting to happen, "there was no warning label on the helmet
    NOT TO DRILL A HOLE IN IT"

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    on the positive side, there is a lawsuit waiting to happen, "there was no warning label on the helmet
    NOT TO DRILL A HOLE IN IT"
    In NYS (bike/trike that can go over 20 mph) a helmet has to meet certain requirements, and those that are DOT approved do meet them. Modifying a helmet so the requirements are not met is illegal in NYS, and you are liable. Now, back on track.

Spyder Garage

ok.
    thanks for the retrack

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default making my head ache

Quote Originally Posted by mreric View Post
    please value your life. you can buy a can-am, then you should be able to afford a safe way to attach a camera.
    modification of the helmet disturbs the impact absorption property of the helmet shell.

at 25 miles fall is already enough to kill you. try falling a 15 miles per hr of a bicycle. head injury is no laughing matter.

be safe out there. understand that you live in a SOCIETY. meaning that your action affect everyone! who do you think picks up after you when you have an accident on the public road ? even private road.
    As I like to quote: The Optimist invented the Airplane , the Pessimist invented the Parachute.. Yes I do have my everyday riding helmet(no holes) this is strickly used on rare occasions, the integrity of the helmet is not comprimised by 1 small hole but thanks for the concern..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default helmet

Quote Originally Posted by opiewhan View Post
    This just came to me from looking at my normal riding helmet..Does anyone here have a helmet that is VENTED????? MY helmet has 4 vents 2 in 2 2 towards the rear, thats 4 holes in my helmet, that does not effect the integrity of this helmet?? Think about it I bet not one of you thought about it.. Did I miss anything? Let me know Im always curious..