Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CQ CQ Hello CQ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    I have added an APRS to my RT. Put the unit in the trunk. Bytonics all in 1 unit and got a stubby mini mag mount and Velcro it to the top of the plastic behind the seat. I built a little ledge to hold the GPS puck and unit. As far as radios go, I use a VX-7 and the ear mike from MFJ.

Gary
    WD8AJJ

I have run APRS on my Spyder and other vehicles and found that most places we ryde up in the hills of MD/PA/VA there is poor/no APRS coverage. When I want to track where we have been I use the APRSdroid app on my phone as cellular coverage is near 100%.

Charles
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default APRS - use APRSDROID

I use APRSDROID on my HTC One phone. It works pretty well. Keep the phone in my pocket and I can be "tracked" When I stop I can check who/what is nearby.

-Steve.
    NE5SD
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Default KE4FAA here

It does seem to be a lot of hams here. Of course, there could be multiple meanings to the statement.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Ham radio

No ham radio installed yet, but i keep thinking of a yaesu 8100 (cuz i've got 3or 4) with the remote head mounted just under the speedo/tach and the body in the trunk.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

FYI, I removed my antenna from the "CB" antenna hole. It was flexing the plastics too much, and I didn't want it to break off.

Instead, I just mounted a bracket on the side of the trunk lid. Same Comet antenna and NMO mount as before.

Here's a link to a set of pictures, and a link to the bracket that I used. It's really solid. Since taking the pics I've added a couple of cable clips to hold the antenna wire from moving at all, and have ran a ground wire (aka, stripped copper braid from some coax) from the bracket to chassis ground under the seat.

(link no longer works, sorry)

Next up is to switch from a HT to something that I can mount in the Frunk or Trunk, with a remote faceplate that I can mount up front. Still researching radios for now.

-Fratz
    Last edited by fratzba; 08-27-2023 at 12:58 AM. Reason: broken link

Spyder Garage

This is NF0N from Nebraska. I have a 2018 F3 Limited and have been looking at ways to mount at least a duo-band antenna and see several options here on this thread.
    I am a County Hunter and run lot's of HF mobile from my car using an ICOM IC-7100 and a Tarheel screwdriver and it is large, about 12 feet tall including the large coil. I don't plan to try it with the F3, but what I plan to do when the weather warms up next year, is to put together a portable station and carry it on the Limited and go to a number of sites for Parks on the Air, set up portable and make the required contacts. I should be able to pack an Elecraft KX3, portable antenna broken down to carry on the back seat and bungied to the bike. Should be able to carry several Bioenno Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries to be able to operate 4-6 hours and make the required contacts for the Park. Am hoping to keep weight down to 20 pounds or less. Thats the plan, has anyone done this or planning to do something similar? Would love to hear your ideas.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have sold several SR10 units along with the cables for Kenwood and Yaesu units
    some are running 10 meters 2 meters & 6 meters however no ham users on Spyders
    many GoldWings and some BMW's

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I have been waiting for a simple solution for ham radio on the Spyder. Most likely 2 meter. The GWRRA folks are big on the CBs. (Children's Band)

I run HF in my truck while cruising around. Made a lot of contacts to Canada on the way back from the owner's event on Durango in 2014. I also have a 2 meter in there too.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SmoovOpRatoR View Post
    VA7JDG, not active for many years, keep posted if you find an easy radio mount for the ryde.
    I have radio mounts.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NF0N View Post
    This is NF0N from Nebraska. I have a 2018 F3 Limited and have been looking at ways to mount at least a duo-band antenna and see several options here on this thread.
    I am a County Hunter and run lot's of HF mobile from my car using an ICOM IC-7100 and a Tarheel screwdriver and it is large, about 12 feet tall including the large coil. I don't plan to try it with the F3, but what I plan to do when the weather warms up next year, is to put together a portable station and carry it on the Limited and go to a number of sites for Parks on the Air, set up portable and make the required contacts. I should be able to pack an Elecraft KX3, portable antenna broken down to carry on the back seat and bungied to the bike. Should be able to carry several Bioenno Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries to be able to operate 4-6 hours and make the required contacts for the Park. Am hoping to keep weight down to 20 pounds or less. Thats the plan, has anyone done this or planning to do something similar? Would love to hear your ideas.
    Spacetrucker actively discussed his ham radio setup but he hasn't been here since mid 2016.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)