Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone have experience with a blind passenger?

Being a newbie I won't receive my first Spyder till March/April (2016 F3 Limited). That is ok w/ me since here in NJ we have 16" of snow right now. The reason for my question is that my better half is almost 100% blind. I wouldn't think blind people would get much of a thrill on a two wheeler but I'm hoping a spyder will feel more comfortable for her. She is a people person and i'm sure would love to meet and hang w/ others but I have to talk her into getting on the bike in the first place. Hence my question; anyone have a similar situation or experience that I could convey to my wife?

Thank you in advance

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much vision does she have?
    If she can only sense light and dark; I would suggest that you offer to take her to an empty parking lot.
    (Preferably a place that she's familiar with), and just let her get the feel of the bike moving underneath her at VERY low speed...
    You might want to work out a more secure way to keep her on the seat... Some armrests, with the hardware tightened-down enough to make them tougher to move...
    Of course; this is all based upon the assumption that you can get her familiar with the bike when it's stationary first!

She would probably want to hear your voice during these experiences, so a good helmet that protects her face, and is equipped with an intercom that is linked to yours; would be necessary.
    Good Luck; please let us know how this all proceeds!

For the record: I'm 20/360 in my left eye, and see blurry blobs...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-25-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CONTACT THESE PEOPLE

.......I know at least one the group in BRP's " ROAD WARRIOR'S " was possibly completely blind. This is the group of Veterans that have been riding around the U.S. on Spyder's......Try Steve Berger ......Steve @RoadWarrior.org ---....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-25-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here is the profile page for the Road Warriors.

I can try and reach out to Kathy, via Facebook, if you would like and ask her for feedback on her experience this past Spring. Just let me know.
    You could also try and post this on the Enabled Riders section, here on SL, which could possibly help as well.
    What part of NJ? I am located in the lower Hudson Valley
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

The ones that have ryden with me did amazingly well. Just have them hang on to you and lead them into the turns and in no time they will be like one with you. Had one that finally let go and rode with the hand rails and back rest. this is on an RS bet an RT would be better....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Come to Spyderfest and ask my friends wife. We will be at Lamplighter. She likes it and feels safer on the Spyder versus a motorcycle.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Here is the profile page for the Road Warriors.

I can try and reach out to Kathy, via Facebook, if you would like and ask her for feedback on her experience this past Spring. Just let me know.
    You could also try and post this on the Enabled Riders section, here on SL, which could possibly help as well.
    What part of NJ? I am located in the lower Hudson Valley
    Northern NJ, Bergen County, 10 minutes from NYC via RT 80