Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Break??

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Break??

We are thinking of adding the hand break to our 2015 RT LTD and are looking for feedback from anyone who may have one on their bike.

Thanks to all who took the time to give us your feedback on this very important issue......I think we will be among those that end with the quote "better safe than sorry"
    Last edited by View from behind; 01-25-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by View from behind View Post
    We are thinking of adding the hand break to our 2015 RT LTD and are looking for feedback from anyone who may have one on their bike.

Do you mean hand BRAKE not break. Break is something my wife does then asks me to fix it.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless you are handicapped... NO...
    It adds nothing you need.
    Just learn to use only the foot brake.
    Unlike a MC, you cannot control the front and back brakes...
    So really this is of no use other than really expensive.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by View from behind View Post
    You are correct I do mean "brake" thanks for the catch😀

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finless is correct in that it doesn't add any additional braking power but if you truly want one ISCI sells them http://www.industrialspecialty.com/i...er%20parts.htm
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The ISCI hand brake is totally worth the money. The foot only brake does do the job but try running through a tight right hander then finding that you need to get your right foot on the brake. What I like about the hand brake is that I always ride with a finger on it just like I did with the motorcycle. Your response in a braking situation is greatly enhanced. I also use it for 90% of all braking situations. Lastly, it is expensive, but it is a very high quality product. To each his own, but I would not own a Spyder without installing one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with StewartJ, that reaction times are greatly enhanced.

I also agree that it IS expensive, but dang I would like one I think.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

it will only add a way to apply the brakes but not as well as the foot brake. unless needed it is pricy for that option. I did finally get used to the single foot brake..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I really thought that I would miss the hand brake lever after 45 years on a 2 wheeler. I did have a couple of panic situations when I got the Spyder where I reflexively reached for the hand brake ... however, I have gotten used to the foot brake and no longer think that I would spend the money to get the hand brake.

YMMV
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    I have to disagree. I have one from ISCI on my 2014 RTS and, although I can hit the brake with my foot just fine, I actually find it more enjoyable to use the hand brake. I also like options. For example, on the road, I sometimes like to put my heals on the passenger foot boards to stretch. That would be too dangerous without the handbrake. With the handbrake, I can do more stretching with my feet without fear of not being able to hit the foot brake fast enough. So for me it does add something. Do I need it...no...but it has made my ride much more enjoyable and worth the investment.

Good luck on your decision!

Ed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    The ISCI hand brake is totally worth the money. The foot only brake does do the job but try running through a tight right hander then finding that you need to get your right foot on the brake. What I like about the hand brake is that I always ride with a finger on it just like I did with the motorcycle. Your response in a braking situation is greatly enhanced. I also use it for 90% of all braking situations. Lastly, it is expensive, but it is a very high quality product. To each his own, but I would not own a Spyder without installing one.
    Quote Originally Posted by iSpyder View Post
    I have to disagree. I have one from ISCI on my 2014 RTS and, although I can hit the brake with my foot just fine, I actually find it more enjoyable to use the hand brake. I also like options. For example, on the road, I sometimes like to put my heals on the passenger foot boards to stretch. That would be too dangerous without the handbrake. With the handbrake, I can do more stretching with my feet without fear of not being able to hit the foot brake fast enough. So for me it does add something. Do I need it...no...but it has made my ride much more enjoyable and worth the investment.

Ed
    The hand brake system from ISCL is a safety feature that every Spyder owner should experience. IMHO the hand brake used in conjunction with the foot brake does increase stopping power! I initially wanted the hand brake and highway pegs from ISCL as a package deal. I wanted/needed the highway pegs in order to stretch my legs so I needed the hand brake in order to get to the brake if my foot could not. The added benefit that I found was during quick runs thru the twisties my Spyder could handle great with my feet on the highway pegs using my legs and my hand on the brake. Now we have the F3 with that seating position. For me the riding experience has been greatly enhanced with the addition of the hand brake and highway pegs from ISCL. The cost of these products are a direct reflection of the quality materials, engineering and manufacturing from ISCL. They are designed for a high quality machine with the safety of the rider in mind.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i love mine

Spyder Garage

I sometimes like to put my heals on the passenger foot boards to stretch. That would be too dangerous without the handbrake. With the handbrake, I can do more stretching with my feet without fear of not being able to hit the foot brake fast enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    I wanted/needed the highway pegs in order to stretch my legs so I needed the hand brake in order to get to the brake if my foot could not. The added benefit that I found was during quick runs thru the twisties my Spyder could handle great with my feet on the highway pegs using my legs and my hand on the brake.
    Both of these are great advantages of the hand brake that I have never even thought about. I have an SM5 transmission, so all I know is having foot pegs on both sides. Having the running boards gives you the freedom to stretch and relax a little which can add even more justification for making the purchase. It makes the price a little easier to swallow .....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once you get used to having all of the stopping power under your right foot; you'll be fine.
    The ONLY time that I ever wished for a lever:
    I was moving the bike around (Standing on the left-hand side...), and it got away from me on an incline!
    Since then; I stand to the right, when doing such things.
    The handbrake doesn't give you the same amount of stopping power as the pedal. It could NEVER be considered as a replacement for it; it's just a supplement.
    Using a stronger dose of "Situational Awareness" works just as well, and saves you a bunch of money.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The handbrake doesn't give you the same amount of stopping power as the pedal. It could NEVER be considered as a replacement for it; it's just a supplement.
    Yes, I do use mine as a supplement and yes, your right foot is stronger than your hand, but people who have a real disability do use it solely as a replacement. It actuates the exact same braking system used by the rear foot pedal .....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It actuates the exact same braking system used by the rear foot pedal .....
    It does actuate the same system; only it's difficult to exert the same amount of pressure on a brake lever, as can be stomped down into a brake pedal.
    That having been said... ISCI DOES offer a different lever, that does allow for some easier actuation, and quicker stopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    Essentially you are correct, Bob.

After the first 1000 miles on my RT, I never missed having a handbrake. That is ...until I added highway pegs. Now I wouldn't mind having the ISCI brake installed just so that I could enjoy using the highway pegs more. I know I would enjoy a handbrake if I had one, but I find it difficult to justify that expense.

It all comes down to money.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    The hand brake system from ISCL is a safety feature that every Spyder owner should experience. IMHO the hand brake used in conjunction with the foot brake does increase stopping power! I initially wanted the hand brake and highway pegs from ISCL as a package deal. I wanted/needed the highway pegs in order to stretch my legs so I needed the hand brake in order to get to the brake if my foot could not. The added benefit that I found was during quick runs thru the twisties my Spyder could handle great with my feet on the highway pegs using my legs and my hand on the brake. Now we have the F3 with that seating position. For me the riding experience has been greatly enhanced with the addition of the hand brake and highway pegs from ISCL. The cost of these products are a direct reflection of the quality materials, engineering and manufacturing from ISCL. They are designed for a high quality machine with the safety of the rider in mind.
    The very reason I got ours. I need to stretch out my legs due to knee issues and felt unsafe doing so with only the foot brake. Now I am aware that the foot can provide more force on the brake, but you have to be able to get your foot on the pad in able to do that. The hand brake gives me the time to do that.
    Expensive - Yes, but for me worth it for the extra safety and enjoyment in my rides.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Ed

Took a short 200 mile lunch ride to Patagonia for lunch at the Velvet Elvis yesterday. Was pondering on this post about needing a handbrake when feet are on the highway pegs for quicker reaction than pulling your right foot back to the brake. Mmmmmmmm

My carefully thought out and scientific deduction was this: If you need to react this quick you are either riding way to fast or are following way to close!

I have been using highway pegs for many years both on Spyders and Leaners and with my feet on the "pegs" never felt I was in any danger by having to move my foot back to the brake.

Give this some thought and possibly change your driving habits a bit.

Brought to you by "Jack's Organization to Keep Safety on Leaner's and Spyders".

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Jack,

I believe that your hypotheses , to some extent , is influenced by the fact that, unlike we poor suckers who live in the Northeast, you live in a state with plenty of open space.

I was pondering the very same thing on my ride to and from Spyderquest last fall. The trip involved a good bit of interstate riding, and I was wishing I could use the foot pegs more . While riding the speed limit, and leaving a good bit of space between me and the car ahead, my "thoughtful and scientific" brain deduced that it was not as much my own driving habits that I was concerned about, as much as those of the drivers in the cars around me.

That's the thought that kept my foot closer to the brake pedal, and my knees more cramped than I would have liked.
    Last edited by robmorg; 01-24-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Jack,

I believe that your hypotheses , to some extent , is influenced by the fact that, unlike we poor suckers who live in the Northeast, you live in a state with plenty of open space.

I was pondering the very same thing on my ride to and from Spyderquest last fall. The trip involved a good bit of interstate riding, and I was wishing I could use the foot pegs more . While riding the speed limit, and leaving a good bit of space between me and the car ahead, my "thoughtful and scientific" brain deduced that it was not as much my own driving habits that I was concerned about, as much as those of the drivers in the cars around me.

That's that thought that kept my foot closer to the brake pedal, and my knees more cramped than I would have liked.
    Rob, many of my trips are through LA, San Diego, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Your traffic is no worse believe me. I have driven on Leaners and Spyders in most of our major cities including New York. Of course when traffic is extremely heavy I seldom use the "pegs". If it is light I usually rest my heels on them and keep my distance safely when following other traffic.

If you slow 5 mph and let traffic pass you it is much safer than riding over the limit and having to pass others or compete with them. Try it some time, the fatigue factor is much much less.

Getting back to the handbrake if you feel more comfortable with it then stick with it. My own feeling is that it is not necessary on the Spyder and I am quite comfortable without it. (even with my feet on the "pegs")

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 01-24-2016 at 07:04 PM.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    My carefully thought out and scientific deduction was this: If you need to react this quick you are either riding way to fast or are following way to close!
    What about situations that are out of your control? How about a dog, deer, raccoon or wild animal that jumps out in front of you? How about debris that gets kicked into your lane on a multi-lane highway? How about items that get kicked up in your path from the vehicle in front of you? ALL of these things I have experienced without riding way too fast or following too closely .....

Spyder Garage

What about situations that are out of your control? How about a dog, deer, raccoon or wild animal that jumps out in front of you? How about debris that gets kicked into your lane on a multi-lane highway? How about items that get kicked up in your path from the vehicle in front of you? ALL of these things I have experienced without riding way too fast or following too closely .....
    I also had all that + a car passing me in the left lane of a 4 lane highway come over into my lane and hit his brakes.

Appently Jack he has never had those issues.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I also had all that + a car passing me in the left lane of a 4 lane highway come over into my lane and hit his brakes.

Appently Jack he has never had those issues.
    Finding the foot brake with riding boots on in an emergency is not easy. The hand brake could save your life. All Spyders should come with one.