Spyder Garage

Default Considering a new ST Limited? Better get moving...

Just wanted to share my thoughts on just completing my purchase of a new 2015 ST-LTD for my wife. Looking for a winter deal on a discontinued model? Forget it. I could only find about 20 or so new bikes 2014,2015 within a 250mi radius of DC metro. All but 2 dealers were selling their last one. Not knowing but doubting BRP is still shipping this model, what is out there may be it folks.

I contacted 10 dealers and haggled with 4 for their best outthedoor price excluding only tax and tags (since I have to register in VA) and got $19,400 - $19,900 as their lowest price on a 2015, saving $1,000 if I opted for a new 2014, mostly thanks to Can am presales promotions which ends 1/31/16. I wouldn't call these great deals.

Here's why I decided to go this direction vs. buying a F3-T or Limited:
    Didn't want to spend $27,000, ouch
    Alot to pay for 1330 ace and SE6 like I have on my 2015 RTS and the twin on the ST is a great hi-rev motor
    When will the new F3s be available let alone discounted?
    Wanted a GPS pre-wired, detachable bags, pass. footboards, adj windshield etc.
    Around 100lbs less weight to throw around on the ST for my 5'-2" 120lb wife

Ended up settling on a 15 demo unit in Ohio of all places for just under $19K figuring latest model year helps on a discontinued, and some people on this forum say "devalued", model .

I don't want to buy used given these machines are very complicated and expensive to maintain w/o warranty. So I am posting this so other spyderlovers can benefit from my experience.

I love this forum and just wanted to share my thoughts

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NO STS.....THAT'S ACTUALLY GOOD NEWS

..........Just saw a 2015 F-3s SE, on E-bay asking $17,000...............And think about this ....what if BRP stops making the 998 series engine for the Spyder.....Do you want to be someone who owns one ??????..............Mike

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As long as you are happy, that is all that counts. For me, if I was paying 19k for a new bike now, I would hold up a few months and pick up a F3T for around the same money. My bet is that by the end of September there will be some dealers out there selling a F3T for around 18k. That is when I will seriously have to consider selling or trading in my 2014 RT. If I decide to keep my RT, I may actually look at picking up a used RS or another 2 wheeler.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..........Just saw a 2015 F-3s SE, on E-bay asking $17,000...............And think about this ....what if BRP stops making the 998 series engine for the Spyder.....Do you want to be someone who owns one ??????..............Mike [emoji106]
    What would be wrong with owning the 998? It's not like they're going to stop selling parts the instant they discontinue that model. I personally don't find the F3 attractive or like that cruiser riding style so the ST was a better choice.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Doubt it....

The ST seems to be a slow seller and may not be stocked by many dealers for that reason. I really don't think they will drop the 998 series cause it is not only used in the spyder. It is the most spirited engine in the line up and has been beefed up in other makets (Aprillas for one). If they do decide to go all in for the 1330 I will have to get some spares.. but I fear not....

Glad you found the right deal on the ST...Enjoy..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default 998 VS. 1330

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    What would be wrong with owning the 998? It's not like they're going to stop selling parts the instant they discontinue that model. I personally don't find the F3 attractive or like that cruiser riding style so the ST was a better choice.
    .........There is nothing wrong with owning a 998 Spyder and I didn't say there was......However I think the future of the Spyder is with that engine, and I don't think the bean counters at BRP think so either !!!... The vast majority of Spyder owners / buyers are over 50. I don't think they want to put up with all the drawbacks that the 998 has compared to the 1330 series engine.....The 1330 is very under stressed, to tweek it to 150 HP would be simple. To do that with the 998 would be pushing the limits ( read RELIABILITY ) of that engine. I owned two Spyders with the 998 and was very happy with them, I also owned a Norton Commando at one time ( wish I still had it ) but I evolved and so has the Spyder............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, Mike, Mike.....just stop. Please.
    The difference between the 998 and 1330 really comes down to personal preference and nothing more. One could argue pros and cons on BOTH powertrains.
    Peeps have been pushing 150hp+ out of the twin reliably for well over 10 years, actually closer to 15. Heck, you can buy an off the shelf bone stock bike with a 998 twin putting out 145hp...stock, OEM, came with a warranty. Can the 1330 go 150hp reliably from a stock 115hp? Nobody knows for sure because it hasn't even been done yet, let alone reliably. We'd like to think it can.
    Is the triple the future for the Spyder? Most likely. Like you said, most Spyder owners are older and mistakenly associate reliability with tractor low revs. Harley has been doing it for years! But that doesn't take anything away from the twin. Personally, I like powertrains that have a bit of history, especially when buying BRP products!! Others like to be the test mules with new. Risky when buying BRP.

garageguy, congrats on your purchase! The ST is a fantastic blend of touring and sport riding!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 01-23-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 998

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Mike, Mike, Mike.....just stop. Please.
    The difference between the 998 and 1330 really comes down to personal preference and nothing more. One could argue pros and cons on BOTH powertrains.
    Peeps have been pushing 150hp+ out of the twin reliably for well over 10 years, actually closer to 15. Heck, you can buy an off the shelf bone stock bike with a 998 twin putting out 145hp...stock, OEM, came with a warranty. Can the 1330 go 150hp reliably from a stock 115hp? Nobody knows for sure because it hasn't even been done yet, let alone reliably. We'd like to think it can.
    Is the triple the future for the Spyder? Most likely. Like you said, most Spyder owners are older and mistakenly associate reliability with tractor low revs. Harley has been doing it for years! But that doesn't take anything away from the twin. Personally, I like powertrains that have a bit of history, especially when buying BRP products!! Others like to be the test mules with new. Risky when buying BRP.

garageguy, congrats on your purchase! The ST is a fantastic blend of touring and sport riding!

..............Drew, Drew, Drew, .....Please re-read my FIRST sentence.......Thank you......Mike

Spyder Garage

..............Drew, Drew, Drew, .....Please re-read my FIRST sentence.......Thank you......Mike [emoji106]
    All, Thanks for your comments [emoji3] First trick is to get the bike out the door for under 19K. Dealers told me they weren't even going to see the F3/T/LTD in any volume for a couple of months. Doubt if you're going to see them for that price anytime soon. True the 998 maybe discontinued someday but it is still a great and reliable motor and alot less weight which is a huge factor for my petite wife who isn't particularly fond of riding my 1330 RT.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

..............Drew, Drew, Drew, .....Please re-read my FIRST sentence.......Thank you......Mike [emoji106]
    So then why would you go on like you did on the post after that?? Nothing personal but It's bad info and really gets old.

Spyder Garage

I love the back and forth banter. It's been awhile. Way to go Mike and Drew.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ridenow ocala has f3 s spyders for 16674.00. I got mine there and their service is amazing. Of course u could get it shipped for around 250 or less if u get transporters to bid on it. Overall i think u could get a better deal. Shopping around is key. Distance and transport shouldn't be a big deterrant when looking for a great deal!! Worked out for me for the 13 sts and the 15 f3s as well as my cars !! 😉Good luck to u !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I love the back and forth banter. It's been awhile. Way to go Mike and Drew.
    The difference is that I actually like Mike. Not something I can say about most people, so it for sure isn't personal!....[emoji106]

Spyder Garage

Default YEP-A-ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The difference is that I actually like Mike. Not something I can say about most people, so it for sure isn't personal!....[emoji106]

.....[COLOR=rgb(178,34,34)]No harm No foul.....I think I have a better read on Drew than most here. Some people on this Forum say things just to be NASTY.................Drew isn't one of them ...............Mike [/COLOR]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just staying out of the way on this one...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black