Thread: Cruising RPMs

Spyder Garage

Question Cruising RPMs

What is the consensus of the group as to the optimum RPM for cruising on a 2015 RT-S with the 1330 motor?
    Thanks for the opinions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 1330s are happy at whatever rpm you let them run...
    I'm into 6th gear at just under 40 mph, and no problems at all!

These are "torquers"; not "revvers".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm comfortable at whatever speed the road and law allow. Eighty on an interstate is just as comfortable as 55 on a country backroad -- would be in 6th on either.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

4,000 cruising is happy time

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

3000 - 3500 is usually where I make a shift. I let the sound of the motor be my guide. The 1330 will run at 50 mph in 6th gear very nicely. I let it downshift on its own.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-27-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the input on RPMs!

Spyder Garage

i can tell you that if you shift according to the Eco mode its around 3000, however that still does not seem to save any gas. These things just suck down the petrol. That in itself would not bother me, i did not buy it to be fuel economical, but the fact they state you can get 250 miles out of a tank is no where near close on mine, so far. Maybe not hitting break in yet makes a difference but i doubt that big of a difference.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpopdan View Post
    What is the consensus of the group as to the optimum RPM for cruising on a 2015 RT-S with the 1330 motor?
    Thanks for the opinions.
    I think that is a rather confusing question. Optimum for what? Speed ( how fast do you wan t to go ), gas mileage, comfort, enjoyment, the list goes on. What is optimum for one person, in not necessarily optimum for some one else.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    i can tell you that if you shift according to the Eco mode its around 3000, however that still does not seem to save any gas. These things just suck down the petrol. That in itself would not bother me, i did not buy it to be fuel economical, but the fact they state you can get 250 miles out of a tank is no where near close on mine, so far. Maybe not hitting break in yet makes a difference but i doubt that big of a difference.
    I'm averaging over 39 mpg with mine... and can consistently travel over 200 miles between fuel stops...
    My longest ride has been 220.3 between stops, and the bike took5.37 gallons: 41 mpg
    250 miles DOES seem plausible; just not practical!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm averaging over 39 mpg with mine... and can consistently travel over 200 miles between fuel stops...
    My longest ride has been 220.3 between stops, and the bike took5.37 gallons: 41 mpg
    250 miles DOES seem plausible; just not practical!

maybe i will see a difference after break in (im at about 550 miles) but i just rode 130 miles using the eco mode and shifting really low like it wants you to and i have 135 miles with 2 out of 9 bars left on the fuel gauge. Seems like that first bar drops off as soon as you leave the gas station
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

The 1330s are happy at whatever rpm you let them run...
    I'm into 6th gear at just under 40 mph, and no problems at all!

These are "torquers"; not "revvers".
    So what is the benefit of having 6 gears?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the same benefit that you have in a car... better fuel economy, by allowing you to run lower rpms at highway speeds!

When you have this much more "grunt" down low; you might as well take advantage of it!

We're actually making as much torque at 2,000 rpm, as the 998s do at their peak!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-31-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess my question would be better asked: Why would you need 6 gears if your hitting 6th at 40mph? That seems like a lot of senseless shifting? Fuel mileage concerns between 0-40mph?? I don't know man...
    Can or have you tried skipping gears?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cars/trucks with the new auto transmissions are different. My Jeep for example has an 8spd gearbox but it doesn't cycle through all those years all the time. It will skip gears when accelerating, downshifting etc etc.

Oh, and I don't need the brochure....I'm beyond the koolaid drinking sales pitch....[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Last edited by DrewNJ; 01-31-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Just pointing out that the 1330s produce the same torque at those ridiculously low rpms; that the 998s do at their peak...
    I put the "Sales Pitch" in the thread, for those who aren't aware of the differences in the engines...
    I knew; that you knew!
    I've never tried skipping gears with the ESSIES; can you even do that?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-31-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get what your saying but it just doesn't make sense. Take fuel efficiency out of it for a minute... Since its silly to figure fuel economy under 40mph...IMHO.
    If you have a flat torque curve that extends across most of the rev band then having a bunch of gears stacked right on top of each other doesn't seem like the best setup unless towing or under powered. It would be pointless because the motor is making similar power over an extended rev band....why shift 2 times when you can carry the same gear, same power, same momentum for 1 shift. Short gears is something you typically due to maximize momentum when under powered, very limited rev band, or heavier load demands, to keep an engine at a specific rev area (power band).
    Seems to me if your in top gear at 40mph and riding correctly you are SERIOUSLY over geared. That's a lot of shifting to 40mph and riding around under 40 would be silly changing all those years. Seems like they could have accomplished the same thing with only 4 gears?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't design the transmission, or the shifting parameters it...

I'm just having fun running it; that's all!

Spyder Garage

There is enough torque that you can short shift and still have the power to move along. And riding around, shifting at 3,000 rpm will give you between 35 and 40 mpg. But, if you are in a hurry, you can always run it up to 8,000 rpm and let the tears of joy roll down your cheeks. But don't think about gas mileage at that time, just enjoy the blurry scienery as it goes by.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?