Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2009 SPYDER SE5 QUESTION FROM NEW MEMBER

Good evening
    I am a paraplegic after a bike accident in 2006. Ever since I saw the first footage of the Spyder I realised that this is the way of getting (safely) back on a "bike". Now a decade later I am finally in a position to buy a good 2nd hand one. Actually the perfect buy: The SE 5 with foot plates and back support already fitted and with a higher screen. All I need to do is have a wheelchair cradle made. The best news is that it is a 2009 model with about 600miles (1000km) on the clock. The guy (also a paraplegic) bought it but spend most of his time on his quad bikes. My question is the following: With so little miles and not a single service having been done on it, should I rather have it serviced before I start riding it? Is there anything serious that I need to know about a Spyder with such low mileage?
    Cheers! Gerhard

Spyder Garage

600 miles on the clock and a 2009...Yes, it's time to have it serviced and checked out before riding it.

At this point, the machine is not even broke-in. (About 3,500 miles). The first service on a 2009 is recommended at 600 miles, so you are right on there. I am going to suspect that the oil, oil filter, brake fluid, radiator fluid, all need to be replaced--for starters.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I hope you have a certified dealer fairly close, if you do, have them check to make sure that all the updates have been done on the software/firmware. Spyders have 7 computers on them.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Party!!
    on finding a bike that is already equipped for your needs!
    This bike will need ALL of the fluids and filters replaced...
    In fact; the worst thing that is wrong with it, is that it has been ridden so little in all of these years.
    You might even need to get a new battery for it; wait and see how the original one functions.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

600 miles on the clock and a 2009...Yes, it's time to have it serviced and checked out before riding it.

At this point, the machine is not even broke-in. (About 3,500 miles). The first service on a 2009 is recommended at 600 miles, so you are right on there. I am going to suspect that the oil, oil filter, brake fluid, radiator fluid, all need to be replaced--for starters.
    ​The fuel may be bad, too.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW ....BUT VERY OLD SPYDER

...Yes it has low miles, but that isn't all good....600 miles in 7 years means it has been sitting, and not being used causes issues like fluids becoming gummy, and possibly changing in character.....I would definitely seek advice from someone knowledgeable in re-storing engines, to find out what you should / could expect. You probably should consider changing / flushing all fluids just to be safe.....and suspect the Throttle bodies may need to be removed and thoroughly cleaned......I'm not trying to scare you, but damage can be done when trying to run an engine that has so little use in 7 years........Also a Dealer can plug it in to the BUDS computer and tell you all about the history of this Spyder.....good luck..................PS, do you need a hand brake ?????/.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    ​The fuel may be bad, too.
    Yes by all means drain the fuel and replace before riding. Old fuel gums and varnishes as it sits over time. DO NOT RUN THIS THROUGH THE FUEL INJECTORS as they most likely will plug.

A new battery is a must also. It usually will only last 2-3 years in the heat and maybe four in normal climates with average temps. The Spyder is very much electronically controlled and should always be operating with a battery that is in top condition.

You are heading down the rite path and I wish you the best on your new endeavor. Welcome

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Congrats &I Agree with all. & just good peace of mind. Will get the buds system updated can find few unknown problems. I just had a bad hose clamp on my new 2013 develop. Get proper educated tech to give you a "walk around" like they do new buyers. So you can learn what to look for. If you like the back rest cool, I reccomend the Smooth spyder rest works great for many reasons. Hope to see you at SPYDERFEST!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453420829.768986.jpg. ROCK ON[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Agree with all the above, plus there are some service bulletins out for the DPS and canister overflow redirection.

Congratulations on getting back in the wind!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Varkie, there were some issues with the early machines:

1. the SE5 shift solenoid had a poor earth connection, making it misbehave. If it happens there is a BRP fix shown on the forum somewhere.

2. the plastic coolant tank could split and drop the coolant unexpectedly. There was/is a better quality one produced by BRP.

3. the drive pulley retaining bolt was not torqued sufficiently at factory causing major damage to pulley and driveshaft splines if not correctly early. Dealers were told to torque it correctly and mark the head of the bolt with 'X' to show it had been done. I think 88ftlb torque was specified but that was marginally above original spec I thought. I did mine to 110ftlb 6 years ago and still all good.

4. the recall on the steering box referred to above and carbon canister o/flow drain tube to reduce fire risk. Stock form they dripped directly onto exhaust.

The fuel system has an external filter located a little to the rear of the canister on the RHS. It will catch any sh1t before the injectors.

They also had a problem of oil vapour transfer to the airbox, where it would accumulate and eventually leak all over the engine. Search oil catchcan for a range of solutions b4 it messes up.

Do NOT attempt to remove the drain plug from the radiator. It will break off.

Squealing from the rear brake while reversing is normal

Search the forum on these topics and you'll find a lot of old (but relevant) post I'm sure. The early ones are simpler and in my experience, more reliable than the ones with "7 computers on them."

Finally, don't change the engine oil filter before you start it if it hasn't been started for a long time as the delay in developing oil pressure thru the empty filter housing wouldn't be ideal on a 'dry' engine IMO

Ride safe and enjoy.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi all

Thanks for the info. I am lending a friends trailer and rather fetching it to have looked over by Cornel De Villiers, a local agent in South Africa (He competed in the Paris Dakar rally in 2008 on a Bombardier DS 650 Quad) - mentioning everything you highlighted. He indicated that he will also do a full diagnostic on the Spyder. The battery was recently replaced.

Mike it have already been converted to a handbrake.

I doubt if I will be able to join you at the SPYDERFEST. It is a far way from South Africa! And with the rand sliding even further against the dollar it will be finacial suicide. Currently $1 will buy you guys R16. A beer at a pub cost between R12 and R16...you figure?! In a bottle store about R8 - that's 50 US cents! How much do you pay for beer in the US?!

Anycase I will post some pics as soon as I have taken my first real ride. (I have been around the block with a friend of mines - but thats not real riding!)

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Varkie View Post
    Hi all

Thanks for the info. I am lending a friends trailer and rather fetching it to have looked over by Cornel De Villiers, a local agent in South Africa (He competed in the Paris Dakar rally in 2008 on a Bombardier DS 650 Quad) - mentioning everything you highlighted. He indicated that he will also do a full diagnostic on the Spyder. The battery was recently replaced.

Mike it have already been converted to a handbrake.

I doubt if I will be able to join you at the SPYDERFEST. It is a far way from South Africa! And with the rand sliding even further against the dollar it will be finacial suicide. Currently $1 will buy you guys R16. A beer at a pub cost between R12 and R16...you figure?! In a bottle store about R8 - that's 50 US cents! How much do you pay for beer in the US?!

Anycase I will post some pics as soon as I have taken my first real ride. (I have been around the block with a friend of mines - but thats not real riding!)
    varkie, well welcome to the best spyder community there is. congrats on your purchase of the 2009 spyder hope it give you many many miles of fun. well beer here in the u.s can range from 2-6.00 per can or bottle all depends on where you go and of course it always cheaper in a bottle store. well best of luck and we hope theres no major engine damage from just sitting so long.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Another thing is the exhaust gaskets. Search 'Honda gasket' should give the fix.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi Felllow Spyder riders. I got my Spyder last thursday. Could not wait to get my excited little hands on it. And man! Did it have more than I anticipated: ISCI running boards, ISCI handbrake conversion, CAN AM seat with back rest (which work perfect for my disability), higher screen and ONLY 560 kilometres on the clock. Had it checked out, thumbs up and rode 140 kilometers on Sunday. My bikeclub members were just as happy as I were to be riding again after 10 years. I forgot how nice a chicken farm can smell passing it on two (ag sorry three) wheels. Herewith some photos. I am still smiling...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just looked up the cost of all the extras I got with the Spyder. $4200 worth... Considering I paid R140 000 (South African currency) for the Spyder....boils down to $8750...

Spyder Garage

You got a great deal and have a nice looking machine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats and Ride Safe!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know what type of music you like...
    But I bet that this one just about fits your new mood perfectly!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good morning

Took the Spyder out on Saturday for a quick 100km blast. Getting to grips with the cornering now and look forward to really pushing it through the corners. one snag - When i pulled away at a stop light it did not want to change into 2nd. Stopped. Did not want to go into neutral. Switched of ignition and got it started again. Will have my dealer check it out as it is saying check transmission and check DPS...

Any other suggestions except for checking the gear change lever and oil?

Spyder Garage

How do you go with this Varkie? The front fuses can work loose on early models. There was a fix of putting 4-5mm thick piece of rubber under the fuse box lid to hold them firmly in.

Spyder Garage

Hi Varkie,

Re: I am still smiling...

You got the best color combo out there, IMO of course.

I hope that you have something in that Coke for celebrating with.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Have you had the tires inspected? There is supposedly a shelf life even for tires. I've read anywhere from 6-10 years. You may want to take a close look at them.

I didn't see this mentioned. If I missed it, I apologize.

Good luck with your Spyder.