Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Kumho front tire psi

I just replaced the stock front tires with Kumho's. For those of you that have done the same, what psi are you running on the tires?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I just replaced the stock front tires with Kumho's. For those of you that have done the same, what psi are you running on the tires?

Thanks.

This has been bantered around by many on many occasions...................... I put 18 lbs in my front tires and 28 in my rear tire. this is a generally good setting, you may want to tweak your front tires one or two lbs either way to suit your own desires.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default AIR PRESSURE

I run 20# In the front and 30# In the back, that's what the dealer recommended when I bought the , It works good for me..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

As i said you will find many opinions, mine was just a middle of the road setting based on tire wear and my comfort zone.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    This has been bantered around by many on many occasions...................... I put 18 lbs in my front tires and 28 in my rear tire. this is a generally good setting, you may want to tweak your front tires one or two lbs either way to suit your own desires.

Cruzr Joe

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As Cruzr Joe suggested, you will have to play around with your tire pressure to fit your and your riding style..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For a 2015 RT... I'd start at 20 psi, and tinker around from there.
    I've ended up liking 20 psi up front, in my 2014 RT Limited just fine.
    ...And 25 psi out back; in a Kumho!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My numbers are very similar. 18 psi in the front seems to be the best compromise between comfort and wear for me - I'm still on the OEM tires in front. I'm running 25 psi with a Yokohama s-Drive on the rear, but watching the tread wear to see if I should put in a little more air in that one.

As a general rule auto tires will ride better and last longer with a little more air than the OEM Kendra's, because of the stronger sidewalls. However, the "correct" amount for the front is variable depending on how you feel about the compromise between handling and wear, whether or not you have the OEM shocks, or shocks with adjustable spring pre-loads, how heavily weighted your Spyder is, etc. etc. Joe is correct... You gotta experiment and do what is best for your unique situation.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a Jeep; but it works for our Spyders also...

Spyder Garage

All good and spot on advice so far.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe,
    Are you gonna tell him about nitrogen?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Joe,
    Are you gonna tell him about nitrogen?
    Nope, and don't tell him where you hid the bottle of whiskey either.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post

Thanks.
    So, since Cruzr Joe, Bob Denman, akspyderman, robmorg and STELLING MAN all seem to be using the Kumho's on their fronts, which you specifically asked for, I guess you got your answer.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default Boooz

Whisky, what whisky, where is the whisky?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all.

Spyder Garage

Hey guys I have a question for you. I just had Baja Ron sway bar installed along with Fox adjustable shocks and a new rear Kumho tire with Laser alignment at 14,000 mi. I am finding the
    bike to be more squirrely riding in a straight line but great in the corners, having more trouble staying in one place. Have you got any reason why it more sensitive now?
    I have a 2015 RT Limited and still have the original Kedas on the front. I find it harder to keep in a straight line.

Thanks

Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SQUIRRELY ????

Quote Originally Posted by Mike4143 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question for you. I just had Baja Ron sway bar installed along with Fox adjustable shocks and a new rear Kumho tire with Laser alignment at 14,000 mi. I am finding the
    bike to be more squirrely riding in a straight line but great in the corners, having more trouble staying in one place. Have you got any reason why it more sensitive now?
    I have a 2015 RT Limited and still have the original Kedas on the front. I find it harder to keep in a straight line.

Thanks

Mike
    .....What is the PSI in the front tires ?????............. in the rear ?????............Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Whiskey?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Nope, and don't tell him where you hid the bottle of whiskey either.

Cruzr Joe
    Hell, I've been doing it wrong. I have Root Beer Schnapps. Makes me think of A & W whenever I open the flask.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I've done this also

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is a Jeep; but it works for our Spyders also...

I have an 01 Ford F350 diesel 4X4 with a flat bed on the rear in place of the factory bed (both beds weighed approx. the same), and a winch/brush guard mounted on the front. I run standard OEM size Michelin tires. I did the same chalk test and found that if I run 60/65 psi in the front and 50/55 in the rear, all 4 tires wear evenly. I keep the truck aligned and I rotate the tires every 5k and I have no cupping or center tread wear out. With the same chalk test on my 14 RTS SE6 Spyder I run 18/20 psi in the front and 27/29 in rear. I've had it laser aligned and have Ron's sway bar on the front with a rubber donut spring spacer in each shock spring, and all three tires have flat even tread wear. The front tires are kenda OEM and the rear is a kumho replacement for that crappy OEM kenda.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....What is the PSI in the front tires ?????............. in the rear ?????............Mike
    I am running 30lbs. in the rear and 20lbs. in the fronts. I talked to Baja Ron and he seems to think the alignment was done wrong. The dealer says the alignment was done right.
    The shocks are evenly adjusted so I don't know where the problem is.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT

I am running 30lbs. in the rear and 20lbs. in the fronts. I talked to Baja Ron and he seems to think the alignment was done wrong. The dealer says the alignment was done right.
    Those tire pressures shouldn't be causing any issues ( thanks for the reply ) Not all dealers have/use the Rolo/Outlaw Lazer alignment system, most align using the BRP method which is flawed ( that's why most are mis-aligned from the Factory ! )........You can find out --- www.spyder comfort.com --- right side list of dealers , see if your dealer is there.....................I agree with Ron.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Tire PSI

How does your dealer do alignments, most don't have the Rolo laser system that Squared Away and others doing laser have, I would have it checked by one of those folks and usually they won't charge if no changes are needed, I noticed mine gets a little squirrley if air pressure gets low, I run 20 in the fronts and tracks true, they got down to 17 once after sitting the winter and weren't checked and I noticed it right away, brought back to 20 and problem went away. If air pressure is up, then have it checked by someone with the true laser system, most dealers adjust to what their specs show and more often as not, when checked by laser its off.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1100619].....What is the PSI in the front tires ?????............. in the rear ?????............Mike [/QUOTE I am running 30lbs. in the rear and 20lbs. in the front
    I talked to Baja Ron and he thinks it could be a bad laser alignment, the dealer said the alignment is good. Also I thought the Kumho on the back would last longer than the Kenda (14,000)
    miles. From what I am seeing on the forum there are getting about the same mileage out of them. If so what's the sense in going to the Kumho's? ]

Spyder Garage

You got a rare Kenda because ours only lasted 4200 miles.

And of course the dealer that did the alignment is going to say it's good.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin