Spyder Garage

Default electrical question

Ok I am at a point with my trailer build that I have a question about the electrical system on my 2015 RT-S SE6. I found out at the dealer that my bike puts out 850 watts running at normal speeds. How much of that does the bike need to operate with stock equipment? I have started adding extras ie: 2 12v ports to plug in our smart phones for gps and play list listening. Also 2 ports to plug in heated riding gear, driver and rider could each pull 14.2 amps if we have set at high on all parts of gear. BTW 850 watts = 68 amps at 12.5 volts. When it comes to my question with my trailer I have built it with electric brakes including a battery on the trailer for emergency brake away switch. I want to set it up to charge while towing, with a combination of an inverter and an ac charger. SOOOO how larger of an inverter can I run form the battery leads from the bike?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    Ok I am at a point with my trailer build that I have a question about the electrical system on my 2015 RT-S SE6. I found out at the dealer that my bike puts out 850 watts running at normal speeds. How much of that does the bike need to operate with stock equipment? I have started adding extras ie: 2 12v ports to plug in our smart phones for gps and play list listening. Also 2 ports to plug in heated riding gear, driver and rider could each pull 14.2 amps if we have set at high on all parts of gear. BTW 850 watts = 68 amps at 12.5 volts. When it comes to my question with my trailer I have built it with electric brakes including a battery on the trailer for emergency brake away switch. I want to set it up to charge while towing, with a combination of an inverter and an ac charger. SOOOO how larger of an inverter can I run form the battery leads from the bike?
    I don't know about the 1330 but a few years ago I actually measured the power budget of my 998 RT and came up with around 320Watts (25.2 A @12.7V ) with all equipment running.

Spyder Garage

Default electrical question

Fyi do yourself a favor keep trailer battery independent from bike, charge it separately. Its lots easier & wont risk your spyder getting 24V if something fails. If you need more power for whatever you may want to consider solar panels (can also charge battery) & or small generator. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458772439.557172.jpgfyi found @ tractor supply

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I see... You're the guy that has the craziest holiday light display.

whatever will you do if your electric nose toaster puts your Spyder's electrical system
    into cardiac arrest.

I want to know how heavy is your trailer that it needs brakes.

good luck with your calculations.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Your dealer is off a bit. The 2015 RT has an alternator as opposed to the pre 14's that ran a stator system. Those put out the 600 +/- but yours puts out over 1200 watts.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The brakes are a part of the trailer now and this gives me more peace of mind than you can know. I have hauled trailers alot and one starting to fish tail behind a truck with 4 wheels going down a hill can make you wish you had had trailer brakes. I would never ever want to be in a down hill situation with an emergency stop needed with only the one rear tire to keep control of the trailer. That said the bike has a 40# hitch limit and with the tires, spindles, and hubs with brakes weighing 96# total weight of the suspended trailer on top of that will be about the 400# max the manufacture limits us to. AND before you say wait that's almost 500# rolling weight: yes I understand I might be straining the trans a bit but if I don't do jack rabbit starts I think that should not be a problem and I now have 5 points of braking friction. Even a 300# trailer on a hill with a fast stop would be a pants changing experience IMHO. The trailer battery will be isolated from the bike if I run the bike leads to the inverter only. Then plug the AC battery charger into the inverter to charge the battery. Nice to know the dealer under stated the output of the bike. I have seen inverters wattage range from 30 watts all the way up to 3000 watts and everything in between. My dilemma is lithium ion battery in the trailer charges best with a higher wattage charger and I would like to put the largest inverter at the end of the bike leads that it can safely handle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    I have a reasonably priced multimeter with DC Amp capability from Sears. With all you are trying to do it might be worth purchasing one and then measuring how many amps you are pulling as you add gear.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture