Thread: Second Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Default Second Spyder!

Good Morning Folks,
    last year we got Our 2014 RTS. Added all the normal Farkles and absolutely loved it.
    my Wife got her license and loves to drive "Snoopy".
    We are looking for a second, sporty Spyder so we can take our two girls riding too.
    I am in love with a low mileage 2008 that I found The price is right and it looks sharp.
    I know most of the differences between 2008-2014. My question is, are there any glaring defects in a 2008? I'm hoping anyone that has had, or has one jumps in😜
    Thanks for Your Time!
    "Old Man Grizz"

Spyder Garage

I heard about heat on the feet as an issue.... Good luck and have fun!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Hi Grizz,

Re: My question is, are there any glaring defects in a 2008?

I have had my '08 for two summers now ( summer is the riding season in this area for me ) and have had no real problems.

I do get the Brake Failure thingy on the dash; I am going to disconnect the leads in the Spring.

I'm 75 so I changed the seat ( thanks again MotorCycle Dave ) and added floorboards, brake lever extension, handlebar risers, etc.

I think that I now sit on it like I would on a ST Spyder.

Oh, I also did the SpyderPops Heat Management System and it took care of the hot foot problem.

Send me an email and I'll send you some photos: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

And make sure that any that you are getting serious about have the updates; just send the VIN(s) into BRP and they will let you know.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I was the proud owner of an SM 5 2008. Put 23,500 trouble free miles on it before trading up to a 2010 RTS.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 GS SM5, purchased used with 2,400 miles, last August. Other than the few weeks it was getting repaired when I was struck from behind, while stopped, by a inattentive driver..I have had zero issues. I now have close to 9,800 miles. I do wish the Gass milage was better, or the tank capacity was bigger..but I love mine.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Get it

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default 08 GS

I have a 2008 GS SE5 with passenger backrest, purchased used in 2010 with 1,150 miles on it, added tall BRP windshield (25") comfort seat, fog lights, passenger ext pegs,
    Givi saddlebags and a trailer hitch (not BRP) was trying to make it as close to an RT as possible. Now have 38,800 miles with no major problems
    just replaced front tires, and now due for my second rear tire, my mileage is 38 mpg (Canadian gallon) with two up most time.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Folks!

I appreciate all the input. It's cool to hear a lot more positive than negative things about it.
    My wife and I are both in our 60's, So we plan on riding for at least another 25-30 years!
    Old Man Grizz