Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Just a little more storage on an RT..??

Are there other options to get just a little more storage on the RT?. We're planning on going on some longer rides this coming summer, and would like to be able to take a little more "stuff" along. What are folks using, (Other than a trailer) for that little bit of added space? Added bags, racks, etc...?? We're planning on "doing laundry" for Spyderfest at this point, we've also mailed stuff home on other rides..What do you folks do?

Rick
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Some folks put on the trailer hitch and thnn bought or made a box that mounts to it.

There are vendors here that sell a box or basket for the trailer hitch.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    Are there other options to get just a little more storage on the RT?. We're planning on going on some longer rides this coming summer, and would like to be able to take a little more "stuff" along. What are folks using, (Other than a trailer) for that little bit of added space? Added bags, racks, etc...?? We're planning on "doing laundry" for Spyderfest at this point, we've also mailed stuff home on other rides..What do you folks do?

Rick

I have used

Show Chrome Rack for rear trunk and a bag

If you have a trailer hitch you can also use rear racks that hook to your trailer hitch.

Cruzr Joe
    Cruzr Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg X7.jpg (54.9 KB, 1029 views)
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRUNK RACK

.........................if you do the trunk rack ( I don't advise it because ) the trunk ( itself ) has a weight LIMIT of 20 lbs....after you add that rack , if you already have 20 lbs.in the trunk, just the weight of the empty rack puts you over the limit....................just something to consider...........................Mike

Spyder Garage

the first time my wife and I went on a mc trip we took a way too much stuff with us look it all over carefully and only take what you need

Spyder Garage

if you have someone on back there are not many options i would think unless she wants to wear a backpack
    The trailer box is probably your best bet. Assuming the trailer hook up is a standard 2 inch (i dont know) there are several options for cars you can look at. This might be a little big but you get the idea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitch-Mounte...dVS8iK&vxp=mtr
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BMW Larry came up with this one...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got the brp hitch & put the doc humphreys rack, was able to put a lot of bulky stuff on that last summer when i went on vacation

Spyder Garage

Roadster renovations spyder rack Also needs the hitch, but not the trailerYou can add that later as your trips go further & farther out
    With & without optional spyder pack. Fyi is on my farkle list for sure!
    Last edited by Bfromla; 01-15-2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: pics

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Mail your good stuff. Bring a baggie of quarters for laundry.

I do that every Spyderfest now.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .........................if you do the trunk rack ( I don't advise it because ) the trunk ( itself ) has a weight LIMIT of 20 lbs....after you add that rack , if you already have 20 lbs.in the trunk, just the weight of the empty rack puts you over the limit....................just something to consider...........................Mike

Don't know what rack you are referring to???? My rack and bag combined weighs less than 5 lbs. so i can safely add up to 15 lbs of items. and the bag has a waterproof cover.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode from Las Vegas to Florida and back and from Las Vegas to British Columbia and back with a box on the trailer hitch and I hated it. Spyder handled awful with that. On the FL trip I know for sure that I was well below the 40 lb tongue weight but it was still awful. If it was me, I'd go with the rack on the lid or better yet buy your wife her own Spyder and you'll have twice the storage. I would think that the trailer hitch option is a lot more expensive than the trunk rack.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I rode from Las Vegas to Florida and back and from Las Vegas to British Columbia and back with a box on the trailer hitch and I hated it. Spyder handled awful with that. On the FL trip I know for sure that I was well below the 40 lb tongue weight but it was still awful. If it was me, I'd go with the rack on the lid or better yet buy your wife her own Spyder and you'll have twice the storage. I would think that the trailer hitch option is a lot more expensive than the trunk rack.

, trunk rack and bag = $225.00

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Default WEIGHT LIMIT

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Don't know what rack you are referring to???? My rack and bag combined weighs less than 5 lbs. so i can safely add up to 15 lbs of items. and the bag has a waterproof cover.

Cruzr Joe
    ........I'm referring to the PIC you posted of the bag on the rack on the rear trunk.......If you open the trunk lid there is sticker " weight limit 20 lbs " put there by " BRP ", if you think they did this as a joke ...fine by me , I believe them , at least on this ..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ........I'm referring to the PIC you posted of the bag on the rack on the rear trunk.......If you open the trunk lid there is sticker " weight limit 20 lbs " put there by " BRP ", if you think they did this as a joke ...fine by me , I believe them , at least on this ..........Mike
    I refuse to hi-jack this thread by arguing with you and your silly emoticons and orange letters.

For the rest of you folks, i have used this on all my Spyders and have never had a problem.

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 01-15-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Roadster renovations spyder rack Also needs the hitch, but not the trailerYou can add that later as your trips go further & farther out
    With & without optional spyder pack. Fyi is on my farkle list for sure!
    This would be my preferred method to do my longer rides. One of my fellow riders won this setup at the spyder rally that was held in Fontana village this past October. My only problem is that I would need to get a trailer hitch to use it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PM me for any questions to Roadster Renovations Spyder Pack and Rack and I will get back to you.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I refuse to hi-jack this thread by arguing with you and your silly emoticons and orange letters.

For the rest of you folks, i have used this on all my Spyders and have never had a problem.

Cruzr Joe
    Joe, I'm pretty much with Mike on this. IMO, it would be fairly easy to load 20 pounds of stuff into the trunk, thus leaving you zero spare capacity, according to specified load limit, to add anything to the top of the trunk. Now, if your experience is that a total load of 30 or 40 lbs, including what's IN the trunk and ON the trunk, has caused no problems in spite of exceeding the BRP spec, then more power to you. In that case feel free to SUGGEST the rack as a solution, but for those who take notice of the BRP specifications, it would be prudent, IMO, to acknowledge this approach MAY cause an overloading issue.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Stuff

Take less stuff! You need underwear/sox for 5 days. A few shirts, a spare pair of pants or jeans, toiletries. Do laundry. All your stuff should easily fit in the trunk and one side case. Her stuff in 1 sidecase, and the frunk. No redundancies - you are going to Springfield, Mo, a town with all manner of stores and shops. If you ruin your shoes, pitch them, and get new ones. If you split your pants, there are tailor shops who can fix them. You are not going to the middle of no where! With practice, you can whittle it down to a fairly small bag. Yes, bring tools, but only for emergency repairs. There are enough tools at Lamont's shop to fix any problems. A small sewing kit - if you lose a button, or tear something. A knife or leatherman tool. Lay it all out on the floor, and then be very critical. Boots to ride in, shoes or sneakers to lounge around. Less is better. You will get better with practice! That is half the fun! A tankbag might help. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

call me silly but I just broke down and bought a trailer. problem solved and momma is much happier
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default BEST DEFENSE IS ....CHANGE SUBJECT ...RIGHT JOE

[QUOTE=Cruzr Joe;1081408]I refuse to hi-jack this thread by arguing with you and your silly emoticons and orange letters.

Cruzr Joe[/QUOTE...........................................................PS - MZEMS2...... C J knows exactly what to tell the dealer if something breaks back there because it was over-loaded and you think you can claim it under warranty...just PM Him for legal advice
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-15-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

While BlueKnight and Cruzr Joe hash this one out, I think I might try to come up with a plan to fabricate some framework similar to how the hitch installs, but I don't want the hitch. The rack is interesting though. This might take some head scratchin'.....LOL. The budget is tight, so the hitch is out, and a trailer is certainly out. The bag 'o quarters just might be the final approach.

Mike and Cruzr Joe, I've learned a lot from both of you guys, so don't get in a peein' match on my account.....
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Why More?

Since you plan to do laundry it seems like a re-adjustment of luggage would be better. My wife & I have a RT-S, so no luggage in the frunk. We went for a five day trip and had enough room for our clothing by using a flexible dufflebag in the frunk. Had raingear and other stuff in saddlebags & rear trunk but was able to get the full use of the frunk space by having the thin flexible bag in the frunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    While BlueKnight and Cruzr Joe hash this one out, I think I might try to come up with a plan to fabricate some framework similar to how the hitch installs, but I don't want the hitch. The rack is interesting though. This might take some head scratchin'.....LOL. The budget is tight, so the hitch is out, and a trailer is certainly out. The bag 'o quarters just might be the final approach.

Mike and Cruzr Joe, I've learned a lot from both of you guys, so don't get in a peein' match on my account.....
    I agree , the bag of quarters is the best solution, but if you just have to have more room, make something work.

Cruzr Joe