Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default CONSENSUS HERE WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE

I really am beside myself so i'll ask for help here from anyone that wouldn't mind giving me their 2 cents. I will be picking up my new 2016 Spyder Limited from the dealership. The dealership is about 15 miles away from my home. That's 15 miles HYWAY. Other than 3 days on a two wheeler to qualify for my MC license, I haven't been on a bike in 30 years. PLUS, I have never, ever, driven any Spyder, EVER!

So, my question is: Having no idea of what it yet feels like to ride a Spyder or having any idea of how she handles, DO I TAKE THE CHANCE AND DRIVE HER HOME? Or, would it be better to have it delivered and "get a feel" for the bike first, before I attempt on the road driving.

I'm pretty confident that if I did drive it home and stuck to back roads at reasonable speeds i'd be fine BUT, not knowing what to expect, i'd rather ask seasoned riders their thoughts on this. Any feedback would very much appreciated!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Have it delivered

I was in a similar boat when I purchased my spyder this year. I trailered it home and spent some time getting back I the saddle so to speak!

If your not comfortable yet, you soon will be.

congratulations on your new ride, your gonna love it.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You will be fine, just take her slow through the curves until you figure her out!! Very easy to drive. Did you test drive any before the purchase?

Spyder Garage

You will be fine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If you have never driven one .................................... Either let them deliver it, or Ride it around their parking lot for about 20 minutes or so to acclimate yourself to it.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

IF you have had a test drive, and maybe the dealer explained the parking brake. You will probably
    be okay for 15miles. I had never had a test ride, and didn't even know how the parking brake worked
    when I giddily got on and rode it home from the dealer, 150 miles away.

Maybe a little parking lot experience would have been nice. But if you are riding within the legal limits,
    It will be a gentle do-able experience.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Do it! I did.

Had not been on a MC for 20+ years. Bought my Spyder used in Palm Springs and rode it home 100 miles.

I did however test drive a new Spyder at a dealer so I did have all of 15 minutes experience.

You will be fine...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I will comment based on both my personal and professional (former) opinion. I am 50. Started riding Rupp in the 70's. Graduated to dirt bikes, then street bikes.
    I have had numerous occasions to respond to accident involving motorcycles, some weren't bad..some fatal.
    I myself suffered a brain injury which ended my career.(not bike related)
    When I picked up my Spyder, I too had never ridden one. It was a ways away..so trailer for me. I then went about using the instructions in the manual to get use to it.
    15 miles or 15 minutes, while not very far, can present numerous instances where others could greatly influence what that trip will be like. And without being familiar with the Spyder, the risk..in my opinion, just isn't worth what could happen to you or someone else.
    I agree with the suggestions to familiarize yourself in the dealers parking lot, or trailer if available. But I also suggest someone in a vehicle following you to your destination.
    I applaud you for having the foresight to ask the question and wish you nothing but happiness.
    Welcome!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I will comment based on both my personal and professional (former) opinion. I am 50. Started riding Rupp in the 70's. Graduated to dirt bikes, then street bikes.
    I have had numerous occasions to respond to accident involving motorcycles, some weren't bad..some fatal.
    I myself suffered a brain injury which ended my career.(not bike related)
    When I picked up my Spyder, I too had never ridden one. It was a ways away..so trailer for me. I then went about using the instructions in the manual to get use to it.
    15 miles or 15 minutes, while not very far, can present numerous instances where others could greatly influence what that trip will be like. And without being familiar with the Spyder, the risk..in my opinion, just isn't worth what could happen to you or someone else.
    I agree with the suggestions to familiarize yourself in the dealers parking lot, or trailer if available. But I also suggest someone in a vehicle following you to your destination.
    I applaud you for having the foresight to ask the question and wish you nothing but happiness.
    Welcome!

Well put

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Like many others, I had been off motorcycles for decades and had no problem. I did test ride one for 40-50 miles but it was all backroads and I was just getting comprotable with myself awheel again when the ride ended. My dealership was 90 miles away so I mapped a back roads way home and had absolutely no problem.

You sound like you've your wits 100% about you so ride off and have fun. I'll bet you'll stretch that 15 miles to a good bit more before you return to the front door.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MY .02

.......HAVE THEM DELIVER IT....especially if it's free ( it should be )........If something happens , you will regret it for a very long time.....This is NOT the best time of year to riding a Spyder especially one that you have never driven before.....You are going to be nervous....what if you stall it....you are going to have to get the Manual out if you don't remember EXACTLY how these things START........OR get the phone numbers of all the people here who said ...GO DO IT ...and call them immediately if you get stuck .......JMHO........goo luck.....Mike

Spyder Garage

I'd ride it home doing just what you said...take some back roads and take it easy. I would certainly have the dealer run through shifting, braking, starting and shutting off, and the parking brake first. If you've ridden before, your bikes likely had a front brake lever...that'll be your biggest hurdle is getting used to NOT having a front brake lever. Chances are you're gonna take it out the day of delivery anyway, and whoever delivers it should run you through the fore-mentioned basics. You're gonna be on a road of some sort for the first ride from home....what's the difference if your first ride is from your driveway, or from the dealer's driveway. Ride it! Take it easy in the corners and you'll be just fine. Congrats!
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

i had never ridden a spyder until my brother bought one. I met him close to his house, jumped on it and took off and that was in the middle of the city in Anaheim. I think its very easy to ride assuming you know how to shift. If its an automatic you just have to listen to the engine and push the button. I personally would not worry about it but i can drive anything on wheels or in the water. I do agree with riding around the parking lot to acclimate yourself with how it turns and the brakes but after that you will be fine.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Even though I took a test ride ( following the salesman on another Spyder) and had test ridden a couple Spyders back in 2010 ,and another one from another dealer a few weeks before, my dealer's policy was that you had to practice on your new Spyder in a large parking lot next to their facility before you were allowed to ride it home. 125 miles in my case that included Interstate and 4 lane roads.
    I had no problems ,but I have been riding motorcycles almost continuously for the past 50 years. This probably helped.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it was me, I'd ryde it home . . . but I'm a risk-taker. If you want to ryde it, like others have said, spend some time near the dealership getting used to it. Then take the back roads home. But if they'll deliver it for free, have them bring it to you.

Either way, before you ryde it, read the Dos & Donts on Spyderlovers!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have any experience with riding snowmobiles or ATVs?
    The Spyder feels an awful lot like they do...
    A lot of folks will tell you to go ahead, and ride it home...
    Some will caution against that...

Even though I DID ride mine home; I'm going to caution you to listen to what your own heart is telling you...
    How confident are you in your abilities to "figure it out" on the fly?
    If you're the type of person that relishes a challenge, and can quickly adapt in strange new situations: go for it!
    But... If you're the cautious type, who likes to have things well sorted-out first: I'd have them deliver it.

My own personal experience:
    I had barely even sat on one, and I'm out in the parking lot being handed the keys.
    I've had snowmobile and ATV experience dating back into the mid-sixties, so I felt confident...
    For the first two miles; I was SURE that I had just made a $25,000 mistake!
    I was trying to over-control the steering inputs, and I was hopping around on the road just like a toad on a hotplate...
    Finally: I figured out that if Ski Doo could build a sled that tracked straight; Can Am could build a bike that was equally capable...
    ...And the clouds parted!!!

It's got to be your call: don't let a sense of bravado influence you unduly!

Good LUck!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Never ridden one before I picked mine up. Rode it approx 250 miles back home inc a ferry crossing.

Rode it around back streets for bit before setting out but actually found I was more comfortable with it once I got up to highway speeds.

In my case I had motorcycle habits unlearn, its actually easier if you come with a car mindset.

My comment would be that 15 miles is not enough. Plan a route back from the dealers thats at least 50 to give yourself more time to get the feel and relax.

At first you'll grip the bars too tight (we all do it) which will make the spyder twitchy but as soon as convince yourself to lighten up it will all fall into place - it took me about half an hour of riding to convince my hands to loosen up.

I was really worried at first but doing that long first ride from the dealers was actually the best way to become a 'proper' SpyderRider and feel completely at ease riding it.

Spyder Garage

Just my 2 cents. I've been riding bikes for about 50 years. A couple years ago I tried out a Spyder, didn't buy it, fast forward till a few weeks ago and I bought a used RTL. Road it around the owners parking lot then loaded it on my trailer. I was 50 miles away all interstate and didn't want to deal with the registration issue. Got it home, got it registered and took it for a ride. Scared the crap out of me. Checked the alignment and found it to be toed out causing it to be shall we say TWITCY. Being and old racer I knew what to do to fix it. Glad I found this out on a local road. Search (laser alignment) here on SL, I did my alignment the old fashioned way and will have it fine tuned before spring with the laser. No way I'd want to have it act like it did on an interstate. If your dealer is equipped to do a laser alignment I would insist that they check it before you take delivery. I suggest that you have the dealer teach you how it operates, let you ride it on some local roads to get the feel for it and only then decide if your comfortable riding it home. Hopefully you can use back roads to get home. Otherwise have someone trailer it. These things are a ball to ride but they are nothing like a motorcycle when it comes to how they handle or brake. Not saying bad just different.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    If you have never driven one .................................... Either let them deliver it, or Ride it around their parking lot for about 20 minutes or so to acclimate yourself to it.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

Cruzr Joe

I second that. Ride it around the lot a bit. You will be fine!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

On new spyder & enjoy, you will love it. First off slow & steady get good feel of bike & controls. Only having the 1brake pedal throws some beginners for a loop but how steady it rides is the winner. Let the dealer test you as they would going for a test ride. They may have a zero traffic area to get aquainted. Wouldnt hurt to drive with hazard lights on if you feel you need to go too slow. Some say spyders ride like high speed 4 wheelers, if that gives you idea to how the turns will feel. The bike will not lean, but you can. Will adapt quickly the 15 miles will go too quick when having fun. Practice up & get ready for SPYDERFEST. & post pics when you get it home!

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Ryde her home....

Though my lapse was much shorter I had never ryde a spyder before and had a 25 mile ryde to get her home. I did a bit of ryding around the lot and area the shop was in before I hit the road. By the time I was close to home I took some side roads and made it home safe and sound. The trip home was a tad over 100 miles go figure.... but do what is most comfortable for you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Also

This may help too

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are in New Jersey so I'm assuming that the traffic is crazy busy. If the backroads are less congested that would be my choice but I wouldn't suggest your first trip be in heavy expressway traffic. Good luck to you whatever you decide on.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Do you know another Spyder owner who could ride it back home for you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I filled out the paperwork, handed them a check, went out, climbed on, started it up and rode it home. It was dark and evening rush on a four lane road. My only other experience was sitting on it in the showroom. It was my 60th birthday present. Make it an adventure.