Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT-622 VS Freedom Trailer Observations

OK, so for now i am, (for a little while), the owner of both a 2010 RT-622 trailer and a 2015 Freedom trailer i will attach a list of differences that i can see.

This is not knocking either trailer, they are both nice.

RT-622
    Has a carpeted interior (nice)
    Has a front and a rear access door (Very Handy)
    22 Cubic foot of room
    Side marker lights on trailer Front & Rear
    Trailer has a finished appearance
    Can be keyed the same as your Spyder

Freedom Trailer
    Lower in height (you can see the RT's Lic. Plate)
    Shorter in length
    Wrap around rear lights that are visible on the rear sides
    Lights as opposed to reflectors on the trailer tongue
    Comes Standard with square 4 trailer plug

Appearance wise is dependent on which one you like better, though I will say they are both great looking behind a Spyder.

FYI ...................

Tires and wheels are interchangeable between trailers. (they both fit either trailer).

They both track exceptionally well.

Cruzr Joe

Both Together

Above is a highly customized RT-622

Standard Freedom Trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 01-15-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

How about some pictures for us new folks, pictures are always nice.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    How about some pictures for us new folks, pictures are always nice.

David
    here is a few pics of my 622 trailer w/linex that is not standard on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

UPDATED WITH PHOTOS
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thank you Joe, very much. they are both nice looking trailers, I've only seen the newest one (RT-622). It the new one actually better, or just a little different design?

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default Which one?

So if you had to get rid of one , which one would you keep? Why would you keep it?
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Thank you Joe, very much. they are both nice looking trailers, I've only seen the newest one (RT-622). It the new one actually better, or just a little different design?

David
    The RT-622 is the older one, The freedom trailer is the newer one. I Think they came out with the freedom trailer because it is about 40% cheaper than the RT-622. When you place them side by side you can see the difference in quality finishing. But as i said they are both nice trailers (biggest difference is original price, RT-622 $4500 + Freedom $3199

Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sooo.... If you need to find that 622 a new home; find me a hitch that'll work, and meet me at SpyderFest!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel53 View Post
    So if you had to get rid of one , which one would you keep? Why would you keep it?

I already sold the RT-622 to one of our fellow Spyder Ryders (he just hasn't picked it up yet), I bought the Freedom Trailer as a project to see what i can do with it as far as dressing it up, kind of a winter project.

If i was strictly deciding which one to keep I would keep the RT-622, it is that much better built.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

nice comparison between trailers.

the one throw back on the Freedom (from my research) was going to be how hard it is to change the settings on the shocks. from what I read the Freedom was more of a pain to do that.

not sure how much if any someone actually tunes their suspension on their trailer.

two doors verses one door and height are the major decisions in my opinion. carpet vs the floor mat were a trade off.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    nice comparison between trailers.

the one throw back on the Freedom (from my research) was going to be how hard it is to change the settings on the shocks. from what I read the Freedom was more of a pain to do that.

not sure how much if any someone actually tunes their suspension on their trailer.

two doors verses one door and height are the major decisions in my opinion. carpet vs the floor mat were a trade off.

The carpet VS floor mat is really a bigger deal than some folks realise, I had a chance to see the $290+ floormat and it looks like a vinyl mud mat for the back of a SUV, i can make a much nicer mat for about 1/3 of that price. Never felt the need to tune the shocks for the RT-622.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

here is Fred Rau's comparison between the two:

http://www.fredrau.com/all-new-spyder-freedom-trailer/

I have to admit that when BRP asked me to try out the new Freedom Trailer, I wasn’t at all enthused about the idea. After all, I really loved my RT622 trailer, and couldn’t see any reason to want to switch to the cheaper, smaller “Freedom” unit. But this is my job, and I don’t always get to choose what I want to do.
    The new trailer arrived just before Cherrie and I were to take off on a 7,200-mile trip from coast-to-coast, including a side trip up through Canada and around the northern edge of the Great Lakes. The first good news was that my previous hitch and wiring assembly were fully compatible with the new trailer, so switching over only took a matter of seconds. The first bad news was that the new trailer used an entirely different kind of lock cylinder, so the trailer couldn’t be keyed to match the bike. From now on, I would have to carry an extra key.

Of course the biggest selling point for the Freedom Trailer will be the price point. At $2999.99 for the base model and $4199.99 for the Deluxe, color-matched and chromed unit, the Freedom costs about $1000-$1200 less than the RT622. What do you lose for the savings? Well, the afore-mentioned matching lock cylinder, the chromed wheels, the double-opening lid, carpeting, and most importantly—approximately 30% of your total packing space. Do you gain anything? Actually, despite my misgivings you actually do. As the Freedom is lighter, lower and more aerodynamic than the RT622, I found that over the long haul that I actually got an average of 2.5 more miles per gallon towing it fully-loaded as I did the RT622. In addition I have to admit that backing-up maneuvers were considerably easier with the Freedom, and there was less input to the frame of the bike on rough roads. Simply put, I could always tell the trailer was back there when pulling the RT622, but sometimes completely forgot the Freedom unit was even attached.

Two things surprised me: First, I thought I would really miss the carpeting, but I don’t. The hard-shell sides and heavy rubberized floor may not look as nice, but they sure are a lot easier to clean than the carpeting was. A couple of times my carpeting got really wet and mildewed, requiring its removal, scrubbing and deodorizing, not to mention hours of drying out. But when the new trailer got wet and/or dirty inside, I just used a high-pressure hose on it and was ready to go in minutes. Secondly, I was very concerned about losing so much of my packing space, but now have to admit that I am really not missing it. What it has actually done is to make me a better organized packer. You see before, I had so much space to play with that I pretty much just piled stuff in and slammed the lid. These days, I have to have a carefully thought-out plan for just where everything goes, but in the end I am able to pack almost exactly the same amount of stuff. The only exception has been in giving up the medium-sized cooler we used to carry, and replacing it with a soft-sided, collapsible one. Not a huge compromise.

The one thing I miss the most however, and will probably never get over, is the extra lid in the front of the trailer on the RT622. It made packing so much easier, and access to the items packed in the front a simple matter of popping the lid, and I loved it. Because the front section of the Freedom is “buried” under the nose, accessing it to pack or unpack requires a long-limbed and limber individual, which I am definitely not. I have hurt my back more than once just trying to put things way up in the front. Because of this, I have learned to only pack things in this section that I will seldom need, but the bottom line is that it is a real pain in the ass—or back.

A few random thoughts and opinions—

Personally, I think the Freedom Trailer actually looks better behind our RT than the RT622 did. It is more streamlined, lower and less bulky, and to me at least, just looks more like it belongs. Though I have yet to see one behind an ST or F3 Spyder, I’d be willing to bet it looks even better with them.

The new outer nosecone treatment can take a lot more punishment from flying rocks and debris without chipping the paint.
    Though the Freedom still has a fully-adjustable suspension, it is a total bitch to adjust! Don’t expect to be doing this every time you change load weights. It took a qualified Spyder mechanic about 45 minutes, and trying it at home alone, it took me over an hour.

Let’s be brutally honest here—I get my trailers for free. With that as a given, and given my choice, I would probably go back to the RT622 for simply convenience sake. BUT, if I had to PAY for my trailer, I think I would probably opt for the new Freedom Trailer. Not just because it costs less and handles better, but because I also get better gas mileage with it, and I like the looks of it.
    Now the REAL bottom line: Comparing the Freedom Trailer to the RT622 is actually a fruitless exercise, as the RT622 simply isn’t made any longer. Your only chance of buying one even if you wanted to would be if you could find a dealer with a leftover from last year, or to buy a used one from a current owner. Therefore, the only comparison that really matters would be against any other, current bike trailer on the market. And in that respect, the Freedom is a hands-down winner in features and performance offered at this price.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Very good write-up, i had not seen that. Only difference is that that the $2,999.00 price is now (according to BRP website) $3,199.00

Thanks for re-posting his review.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One thing that I hate about the RT-622 is the side marker lights. I can't even count the number of times that I have bruised a shin on those darn lights.

I had left my shocks on the mid setting until we started carrying laser tools around the country, now I have them set on the highest setting.

I'm pretty sure that, like Cruzr Joe and Fred Rau, I would most miss the 2nd lid.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool RT-622 Trailer questions

I just picked up a used RT-622. Absolutely LOVE the looks, features and construction. My question is, what's with that big-ass electrical connector? It's got 9 pins and it's HUGE. I ordered a cable that supposedly replaces the tongue harness and converts it to a 4-square connector. It appears that it is simply a matter of unplugging one harness and plugging in the new one. Is that correct? My friend suggested that maybe the trailer has electric brakes. I find that unlikely, but possible I guess. Surely someone can confirm one way or the other if it has electric brakes. Thanks a ton.

Finally...if anyone needs a Spyder trailer hitch I have one I'm willling to part with. It includes what I'm assuming is an interface cable that connects to the Spyder lighting harness and the toungue harness with that big-ass connector I referred top above. Pictures available on request. It all came with the trailer and since I'm not riding a Spyder I don't need it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dblboinger View Post
    I just picked up a used RT-622. Absolutely LOVE the looks, features and construction. My question is, what's with that big-ass electrical connector? It's got 9 pins and it's HUGE. I ordered a cable that supposedly replaces the tongue harness and converts it to a 4-square connector. It appears that it is simply a matter of unplugging one harness and plugging in the new one. Is that correct? My friend suggested that maybe the trailer has electric brakes. I find that unlikely, but possible I guess. Surely someone can confirm one way or the other if it has electric brakes. Thanks a ton.

Finally...if anyone needs a Spyder trailer hitch I have one I'm willling to part with. It includes what I'm assuming is an interface cable that connects to the Spyder lighting harness and the toungue harness with that big-ass connector I referred top above. Pictures available on request. It all came with the trailer and since I'm not riding a Spyder I don't need it.

No electric brakes just a monstrosity old world plug, the new ones come with a 4 square plug.

Cruzr Joe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default reply

Thanks Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    No electric brakes just a monstrosity old world plug, the new ones come with a 4 square plug.

Cruzr Joe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default hitch/controller photos & parts number

Hitch Assembly - 705202240 (also does not come up on Can-Am parts search, but looks exactly like the hitches that do come up). Ball is not included.

Pictures are upside down for some reason
    Last edited by Dblboinger; 01-18-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tongue Harness

tongue harness - part number 710002029 (verified part number)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Control Module

Control module - 710001811 (does not come up in Can-AM parts search, but it mates to the connector on the tongue harness)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default linex

Did you do that to stop chips?

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    here is a few pics of my 622 trailer w/linex that is not standard on it

Spyder Garage

If i was strictly deciding which one to keep I would keep the RT-622, it is that much better built.

Cruzr Joe[/QUOTE]

the RT-622 is my pick too.

Gerard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dbl...
    Please tell me a little bit more about the hitch...
    How much will it take, to remove it from your sight?

Spyder Garage

Default Listed in for sale section

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Dbl...
    Please tell me a little bit more about the hitch...
    How much will it take, to remove it from your sight?

Bob, see it is also listed here $350 without plug end

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-module-(used)
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks...