full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default The cursed 'stuck on' brake light problem.

It is not an every time problem, which makes it worse because when you shut the bike off and walk away, you have a 50 / 50 chance that the brake light is on. Ridenow Sports in Phoenix has made 2 attempts at fixing it without success. I am interested in other '13 ST owners (or other models if it is the same) as to your solutions. I am getting tired of getting stuck because I forgot to look at the brake light when I got off the bike. By the way, why isn't it hooked through the ignition switch?

This problem has persisted off and on since I bought the bike new in 2013.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    It is not an every time problem, which makes it worse because when you shut the bike off and walk away, you have a 50 / 50 chance that the brake light is on. Ridenow Sports in Phoenix has made 2 attempts at fixing it without success. I am interested in other '13 ST owners (or other models if it is the same) as to your solutions. I am getting tired of getting stuck because I forgot to look at the brake light when I got off the bike. By the way, why isn't it hooked through the ignition switch?

Brake lights on all vehicles will work when the key is off. There is some rule for that.

I had that problem and my dealer fixed it first try. It's worked well ever since. From what I understand there are two problems. So you can have one or the other or both. Something about a bad mounting bracket for the switch. Not sure of the details. The early switch design get contaminated with dirt and sticks on. The switch just needs to be replaced. Your dealer should be able to look up a TSB on the subject.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

I agree with Billy Bovine. Your brake light switch and/or switch mounting plate need to be replaced. As Billy said, there was a bulletin about that.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I had this problem a few months back (2013 ST-L). I tried cleaning and lubricating the switch with no luck. I then noticed the it stopped sticking when I put pressure on the switch housing. I basically pulled on the housing toward the outside of the bike and it must had corrected any alignment issues because I have not had a problem since. This is what worked for me but I have heard of several people replacing switches. Good luck.

2013 Spyder ST Limited Black Current
    stock (so far)

Spyder Garage

I have had this problem too (2013 STL). By stepping on the brake pedal a couple of times it usually goes out. I will let the dealer know when I take it in next time.
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Spyder Garage

when i had my 13 rt, i had the same problem, it is the brake switch. if you put your toe under the brake pedal and lift it the lights will go out
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had this problem after installing floorboards on my 2012 RT Limited. Fixed it by slightly trimming the rubber "bumper" with a razor blade. The rubber "bumper" (don't know the real name) is a little rubber plug that keeps the brake pedal from hitting metal when released. Hope this makes sense.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Default Return spring

I had the same problem on my 2015 rtl, and i put a return spring on it, problem solved.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    I had this problem after installing floorboards on my 2012 RT Limited. Fixed it by slightly trimming the rubber "bumper" with a razor blade. The rubber "bumper" (don't know the real name) is a little rubber plug that keeps the brake pedal from hitting metal when released. Hope this makes sense.
    I had this happen after i had some chrome work done. I put the parts back on and left off one of the metal washers that goes on the brake pedal. There is a washer on each side of the rubber bushings that goes in the brake pedal that the mounting bolt go through. I have not put it back on yet but plan to and mine should stop sticking. It don't stick all the time.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to all

I thought it was a common problem. it does sound like there is more than one problem. Ridenow has tried the bend and trim approach. Time for them to just order the parts they should have ordered to start with. I appreciate the feedback.

See ya' on the road.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

They replaced the switch on my ST Limited.

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like the solution

Stopped in to Ridenow yesterday and Shawn, the service writer has started a warranty claim for the new switch assembly. He will call me when it gets in.

It sticks almost all the time now.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sticking brake light

I had this happen when I first bought my 2013 STL. Was hard to see that the light was on when it was sunny, so ended up with a dead battery one day after riding it to work. Took it into a dealership close by who happened to have had 1 other person with the same problem. They "shaved" something down, and I have never had it happen again. Was covered by warranty, and it was a quick fix.

Spyder Garage

I realized this same problem in a cross country trip. My brake light would sometimes stay on after shutting down and the other symptom was my cruise would disengage after hitting a small bump.

The culprit / fix was the rubber bump stop that the brake lever rests against under the bike. I pulled the bumper off and cut it down by 1/2. Both issues are resolved.
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    I realized this same problem in a cross country trip. My brake light would sometimes stay on after shutting down and the other symptom was my cruise would disengage after hitting a small bump.

The culprit / fix was the rubber bump stop that the brake lever rests against under the bike. I pulled the bumper off and cut it down by 1/2. Both issues are resolved.
    My cruise tends to not be able to come on when I am going down the road with the brake light stuck on. I have to kick the pedal. The "shave and bend" fixes have been a no go on this one.

I had to buy a new battery today as I have been caught one to many times for the battery to live through it. Not a happy camper but the fix is on the way.

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, my Spyder St got this problem.
    Since my Spyder the brake light very often stay on, I had somewhat reduced the rubber stopper of the brake pedal. Should probably be one of the BRP solution. In any case, the brake lights now went from always.

After the cut of the rubber did not yield any lasting improvements, I was in the workshop BRP. There has been diagnosed that the sheet has cleared on the BLS sits. This regular usage does not constitute a more open contact when the engine is hot. Eventually, the brake light switch has been replaced. Namely, by conversion to the other variant. See image. Are all warranty work.
    Sorry for my bad english.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Micha.; 08-23-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Got to ask where are the detailed images from?

Spyder Garage

From the workshop manual of the Spyder ST.

Spyder Garage

Default Still not fixed

Since my last post; the part came in but RideNow found another part, in the same circuit defective. I told them to put it back together for now. I have a organized ride I want to go on this weekend. I will bring it in when they get both parts. If they had tried to fix it per the bulletin over a week ago, the time problem wouldn't exist. They are whining. They don't want to eat the labour twice. They want to make their problem, my problem. Sorry I'm not very sympathetic.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LABOR TWICE

Since my last post; the part came in but RideNow found another part, in the same circuit defective. I told them to put it back together for now. I have a organized ride I want to go on this weekend. I will bring it in when they get both parts. If they had tried to fix it per the bulletin over a week ago, the time problem wouldn't exist. They are whining. They don't want to eat the labour twice. They want to make their problem, my problem. Sorry I'm not very sympathetic.
    ........I wouldn't be at all surprised if they billed these fixes separately so they could charge the labor twice......They might figure since BRP is paying you won't notice or care.........But whatever, I'm glad your getting it fixed...........................Mike

Spyder Garage

Cool

so it is "normal" for the brake lights to work when the bike is shut down and sitting??? I find that strange compared to all other vehicles I have owned. I get it for the emergency flashers to work, but not the brake lights. stupid that my FJR, the emergency flashers only work with the key on. duh.
    Last edited by PatriotRider; 01-28-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

Default Does seem kind of goofy

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRider View Post
    so it is "normal" for the brake lights to work when the bike is shut down and sitting??? I find that strange compared to all other vehicles I have owned. I get it for the emergency flashers to work, but not the brake lights. stupid that my FJR, the emergency flashers only work with the key on. duh.

Yeah that brake light switch wired direct seems kind of strange to me also. If it is "law" then another example of do-gooder bureaucrats using their "logic" rather than their brains. It is pretty easy to diagnose. The cruise control is also disabled when the brake light is stuck on. Grumble.....grumble. If the brake was wired logically, I wouldn't have had to buy a new battery after only 2 years of ownership. You con only run down a lead acid battery so many times before it cries uncle.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Yeah that brake light switch wired direct seems kind of strange to me also. If it is "law" then another example of do-gooder bureaucrats using their "logic" rather than their brains. It is pretty easy to diagnose. The cruise control is also disabled when the brake light is stuck on. Grumble.....grumble. If the brake was wired logically, I wouldn't have had to buy a new battery after only 2 years of ownership. You con only run down a lead acid battery so many times before it cries uncle.
    I guess it's another good reason to hook up the bike to a tender while it's parked at home...yesterday, I backed the bike down the driveway running with engine on, but only a few feet. I guess it didn't self make it back to neutral and next thing I realize is the reverse lights are on while the bike is parked. I had to crank it up again, watch it go into neutral and shut it down for all to be off and well.

Admittedly, Spyders are weird, quirky, and in some ways, aggravating.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders