Spyder Garage

Question Is anything here DOT approved ?

Much was made of the fact that Custom Dynamics lighting is not DOT approved and states as much with their products. I would like to know if any, I repeat if any lighting offered for sale on this website is truly DOT approved ?

Spyder Garage

Hi Ben,

Re: any lighting

I do not know about 'any' but of at least two of the vendors listed on the Home page, of the items that I inquired about; not one item was DOT approved.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

None of the lighting on the vendor pages is DOT approved. However, that does not make it illegal. What makes it illegal is the various state laws. DOT or more correctly NHTSA, set's the minimum requirements for vehicle lighting including location, placement, color and brightness (lumens) and number of lights. It also sets requirements for reflective materials including standard plastic reflectors and reflective tape. Standard vehicle lighting must also have the DOT logo on the lens or cover.

While additional lighting is allowed, it must not take away from or interfere with NHTSA and state regulations. As far as LED lighting sold by vendors, it doesn't meet DOT regulations because it is an added feature not standard on the vehicle at time of manufacture.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    None of the lighting on the vendor pages is DOT approved. However, that does not make it illegal. What makes it illegal is the various state laws. DOT or more correctly NHTSA, set's the minimum requirements for vehicle lighting including location, placement, color and brightness (lumens) and number of lights. It also sets requirements for reflective materials including standard plastic reflectors and reflective tape. Standard vehicle lighting must also have the DOT logo on the lens or cover.

While additional lighting is allowed, it must not take away from or interfere with NHTSA and state regulations. As far as LED lighting sold by vendors, it doesn't meet DOT regulations because it is an added feature not standard on the vehicle at time of manufacture.
    Thank you for a very concise and informative post. I hoped that someone would know the specifics on this issue. Does removing the reflectors on the side of the RT and replacing them with lighting that has no reflective value such as Custom Dynamics Bright sides negate the DOD requirements for the RT ?

Spyder Garage

DOT requires front and rear side reflectors. The California Vehicle Code also required them. TricLED's front fender and rear side cargo door led lights have reflector lens, therefore they are DOT compliant.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 01-13-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

The show chrome lights (big bike parts) sold from value accessory is also DOT approved. These are the front fender and saddle bag marker lights.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    DOT requires front and rear side reflectors.
    Would some reflective tape suffice?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I been using the LED fender lights and as long as they are the same color as the stock reflectors and within my state guidelines of lights and color and placement . The lights are on at all times so no reflective options is needed.

Spyder Garage

Default DOT

They DOT requirements are for the bike manufacturer only. You can modify your bike as long as you meet the minimum for state laws.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I been using the LED fender lights and as long as they are the same color as the stock reflectors and within my state guidelines of lights and color and placement . The lights are on at all times so no reflective options is needed.
    That's incorrect. Reflectors cannot be replaced with lights legally. Reflectors are required for visibility when the vehicle lights are not on, when parked or disabled beside the road. That said not likely anyone will catch on.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While agree that it's unlikely that you'd ever be caught; what if they decided to make an example out of you?

Let your conscience be your guide...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies and discussion. The argument to maintain reflectors, especially if stranded on highway (as opposed to sitting in a parking lot) makes alot of sense to me. Even if the custom dynamics lights are better (unknown) they can't be that much better so I think I will go with the TricLED with reflectors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    That's incorrect. Reflectors cannot be replaced with lights legally. Reflectors are required for visibility when the vehicle lights are not on, when parked or disabled beside the road. That said not likely anyone will catch on.

I was just stating the lights can be replaced. As for visibility on the side of the road most likely the will not reflect off the reflector due to them being mounted on the fender depending the position of the vehicle anyway.. How many reflectors do you see on new cars these days??

Bob

Was that comment from Darth Vadar??( Let your conscience be your guide)
    Last edited by trikermutha; 01-13-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

I had this dicussion a while back with Stevedfive.
    If your bike is parked and someone hits it in the dark, and you removed the reflectors, pretty sure insurance companies could claim due to the modification you caused the accident! The reflectors are there for a reason!
    Would this ever happen? Not sure but it's a risk I would not be willing to take!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Bob Was that comment from Darth Vadar??( Let your conscience be your guide)
    Actually; that comment would have been:
    "The Force is strong within this one..."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well reflectors or not there's lots of great thoughts on this topic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Ok. I'll just keep the originals reflectors on my bag, and I'll have them ready with two sided tape that way if I get stranded on the road all is have to do is tape them over the existing ones! That's easy!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up So go with the flow

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    If your bike is parked and someone hits it in the dark, and you removed the reflectors, pretty sure insurance companies could claim due to the modification you caused the accident! The reflectors are there for a reason!
    Would this ever happen? Not sure but it's a risk I would not be willing to take!

Bob
    So you are suggesting not to turn your dead Spyder perpendicular to the flow of traffic if you no longer have side reflectors ? Is there reflective material in the factory tail lights ? Possibly it would be in everyone's best interest to leave their dead Spyder parallel to the flow of traffic so that any reflective qualities that remain will be exposed to any headlights that intoxicated drivers with no insurance may possibly see ? Just being real.

Spyder Garage

Federal Lighting Equipment Location requirements. Basic equipment required on all trucks/buses/MPVs. (private motor vehicles)<br><br>http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/stan...y/TBMpstr.html

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    What my insurance company said was, they could deny payment of the claim if was determined the removal of DOT minimum required equipment could have helped prevent the collision. Not a major issue for debate. Just clarifying.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 01-15-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    What my insurance company said was, they could deny payment of the claim if it was determined the removal DOT minimum required equipment could have helped prevent the collision.
    In my opinion; this is pretty unlikely...
    They're usually not going to find something, that they're not looking for.