Spyder Garage

Default 2014 STS Clicking sound

I have a 2014 STS SE5 that I bought new this last August. I have the clicking sound between 30 and 45 mph. Sounds like a metal clip tapping on a hollow pipe. RPM doesn't matter or even gear that I'm in. As told on here I keep the revs over 3500 so I know the clutch is hooked up. During the 600 mile service I brought the subject up of the click. The service man rode it said I was hearing the brake pads tapping the rotors. What do you guys think?
    I've been under it looking, feeling for anything lose did find one line on the brake not bolted down but this was not the reason for the click.
    I can say I truly like to ride this one and for you poor souls in upper US sorry about that but just parked it today.

Spyder Garage

No help from here, no strange noises from mine. I haven't parked it yet, supposed to hit mid-fifties on Friday, if so, I will ride. I hope the rattle is nothing serious but something minor that is loose! Good luck!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Does the click seem to be rev speed related, road speed related, a regular tapping that isn't speed related at all, or just a random irregular tapping noise? Could the noise be there at other speeds, but masked by road or engine noise?

info along those lines might help identify what could be causing it..... but I don't think you should be hearing the brake pads tapping on the rotors unless there is something significantly wrong with your brakes!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldraceman View Post
    I have a 2014 STS SE5 that I bought new this last August. I have the clicking sound between 30 and 45 mph. Sounds like a metal clip tapping on a hollow pipe. RPM doesn't matter or even gear that I'm in. As told on here I keep the revs over 3500 so I know the clutch is hooked up. During the 600 mile service I brought the subject up of the click. The service man rode it said I was hearing the brake pads tapping the rotors. What do you guys think?
    I've been under it looking, feeling for anything lose did find one line on the brake not bolted down but this was not the reason for the click.
    I can say I truly like to ride this one and for you poor souls in upper US sorry about that but just parked it today.
    wouldn't surprise me if there isn't a roofing nail in one of the tires.

Spyder Garage

Has it done it since the day you owned it?
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quasi, that would be an easy fix!!!!! Let's hope it is that simple! Although, I would think that would make the clicking sound all the time.
    Last edited by ingramwc; 01-13-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

I agree brake pads, clicking normal
    Last edited by jtoro1; 01-13-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Quasi, that would be an easy fix!!!!! Let's hope it is that simple! Although, I would think that would make the clicking sound all the time.
    my son has one in a tire on his Nissan titan and you can only hear it at certain speeds for some reason.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Does the click seem to be rev speed related, road speed related, a regular tapping that isn't speed related at all, or just a random irregular tapping noise? Could the noise be there at other speeds, but masked by road or engine noise?

info along those lines might help identify what could be causing it..... but I don't think you should be hearing the brake pads tapping on the rotors unless there is something significantly wrong with your brakes!!
    The clicking is speed related. Engine revs do not affect the sound and over 45 the wind seems to mask out any nose. Did find one thing but wasn't it. The carter pin on the axle nut was tapping the cover. Bent it back in place that one fixed but still comes and goes. Wind direction does affect the tapping.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

belly pans vibrating?

Spyder Garage

It didn't do the tapping on the first ride home which was 140 miles. I was not use to something this quiet while ridding. The sound showed up about 400 mile mark. I've checked all the tires for nails and rocks. None there. I'm taking it for a run tomorrow and will look more into something loose. Is the water pump driven off the engine or is it a rod pushing a lever. Heard a sound like this before on a truck it was the pressure relieve valve opening and closing.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it goes away when you put on the brakes, it's the pads.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    600 mile service? For a 2014 shouldn't the first be at 3,000? Don't let your dealer take advantage of you!
    STS has the 998 engine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Water pump is gear driven off the motor.
    Check your balance weights on your front wheels and make sure they aren't hitting. Or the rear belt guard hitting the belt. There have been a few guards pull loose from loose bolts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 01-13-2016 at 10:14 PM.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Can attest to the guard thing

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Water pump is gear driven off the motor.
    Check your balance weights on your front wheels and make sure they aren't hitting. Or the rear belt guard hitting the belt. There have been a few guards pull loose from loose bolts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    My 13 STL had the belt guard come loose at about 800 miles. Had a heck of a time figuring it out as it "sprung" back in to place when stopped. it finally got caught in the belt and that finished that. Made a strange ticking sound for quite a while.

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you all but had a short hospital stay which stopped my riding for a while and didn't have computer access. I have checked the brakes sound doesn't go away when pedal is pressed. One thing is did find and thank you for the advice the upper belt guard is hitting the frame. Not sure this is my clit but I plan on cutting it back some as wind direction affects the sound most. Been under it looking found nothing. Thank all of you for the advice hope to see you in Daytona bike week.