Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEDs

Spyder Garage

Default LEDs

Ok, I know this has been talked about alot and I'm not going to make it a TricLED vs Custom Dynamics thing in the traditional sense - I believe from reading both are great products. I am in a kind of unique position where I am around 45 min from Reggy's shop and 5 minutes from another local shop that does motorcycle lighting (including Spyders) and they deal with Custom Dynamics products. Specifically what I am concerned about is the SAFETY aspect, not the ground lighting effects, etc.

So, TricLED has the safety package with SpyderFenderZ which claims it is not only LED but also becomes a straight reflector like stock when off. CD has the Amber and Red Brightsides which also seems like a great product but doesn't say anything about reflectors.

Based on the description at TricLED it seems to me the reflectors when off is a needed feature for when the bike is off and parked (and also a DOT requirement?).

So, my question is does the amber brightsides not act as a normal reflector with power off? It seems for safety sake the SpyderFenderZ at TricLED are the no brainer way to go but I =just wanted to make sure and get fact/opinion from those that have either. Are the FenderZ truly the way to go because of the reflector and exclusive to TricLED?

Also going to be looking at brake LEDs but that will be another post... Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get the TricLEDs pieces...
    The reflectors DO make a difference!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cool

I'm new to Spyders, scared poopless that others, especially distracted drivers won't or can't see me, and will kill me. That said, the Black Friday Weekend sale by TriLED motivated me to purchase kits to replace all the reflectors on my 2014 RT Lim plus the 4 light brake light strips, the rear emblem circle leds, and the rear fender American flag.

Installed it all over the last week. I am so impressed and pleased, both when turned on and off. Installation was easy with plug n play harnesses.

I also purchased and recommend as mandatory the mirror led strip turn signals and a bump skid with the led's. Very happy.

I can see some who would rather the larger, fancier top brake light from Custom Dynamics, but for me, I like the simpler looking unit from TriLED.

Best to ya...Good Luck
    Last edited by PatriotRider; 01-09-2016 at 06:20 PM.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Ok, I know this has been talked about alot and I'm not going to make it a TricLED vs Custom Dynamics thing in the traditional sense - I believe from reading both are great products. I am in a kind of unique position where I am around 45 min from Reggy's shop and 5 minutes from another local shop that does motorcycle lighting (including Spyders) and they deal with Custom Dynamics products. Specifically what I am concerned about is the SAFETY aspect, not the ground lighting effects, etc.

So, TricLED has the safety package with SpyderFenderZ which claims it is not only LED but also becomes a straight reflector like stock when off. CD has the Amber and Red Brightsides which also seems like a great product but doesn't say anything about reflectors.

Based on the description at TricLED it seems to me the reflectors when off is a needed feature for when the bike is off and parked (and also a DOT requirement?).

So, my question is does the amber brightsides not act as a normal reflector with power off? It seems for safety sake the SpyderFenderZ at TricLED are the no brainer way to go but I =just wanted to make sure and get fact/opinion from those that have either. Are the FenderZ truly the way to go because of the reflector and exclusive to TricLED?

45min from proper install, by the pro's. Vs a shop fatty simply does install....
    No brainer go & get it done right & you will have the reflectors too I'm jealous, fyi I have to set appointment & wait till spyderfest.(FenderZ) I'm really happy with the TricLed brake strips I got last year. Farkle up

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have TricLED SpyderFenderZ installed on my F3. Just went into the garage with a flashlight and shined them on the SpyderFenderZ. They reflect just fine.

Just have to add that when your riding, those puppys are bright. Got the turn-signal option and loving them.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REFLECTORS

.....Are you concerned someone is going to hit your Spyder while it is PARKED ????......... because if it's running all these LED's are on......you don't turn them OFF.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRider View Post
    I also purchased and recommend as mandatory the mirror led strip turn signals and a bump skid with the led's. Very happy.

I can see some who would rather the larger, fancier top brake light from Custom Dynamics, but for me, I like the simpler looking unit from TriLED.
    Thanks Mike.

I do want to do the mirrors as well but I think I prefer the muth mirrors over the strips.

On the brakes, do you just have the strip below the trunk or you have that other one on top as well? I think I saw somewhere a strip of lights that were red running and brake and then they turned to amber turn signals. I'd like to have a look at those as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    45min from proper install, by the pro's. Vs a shop fatty simply does install....
    No brainer go & get it done right & you will have the reflectors too
    Well I never said the shop down the street was some shop fatty, they also have an excellent reputation and are highly recommended. They do all the police bikes in the city. I'm sure either place would do it right, hence the question being more about the hardware.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....Are you concerned someone is going to hit your Spyder while it is PARKED ????......... because if it's running all these LED's are on......you don't turn them OFF.......Mike
    Well, yea, sort of. This is the description on the FenderZ...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Well I never said the shop down the street was some shop fatty, they also have an excellent reputation and are highly recommended. They do all the police bikes in the city. I'm sure either place would do it right, hence the question being more about the hardware.
    Well thanks for catching my failure to proof read my post. (Shop fatty)**some how was result of (shop that simplys installs.) sorry if it misdirected the point. Glad shop has good reviews. Personally Id prefer TricLed do it as they have their product, parts on hand, & expieriance with said parts. Please enjoy whatever farkel route you decide & hope to see you at SPYDERFEST!!!!

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Custom Dynamics arent reflective?

I thought I researched this enough but I guess not. I saw a lot of talk about Custom Dynamics and that is what I bought for my wife's 2015 RT. I am new tot he Spyder world and since I saw a lot of talk about Custom Dynamics LEDs that is what I bought. I haven't put them on yet. I havent found anything on their website saying they are reflective. I do see (NOW) that it stats Non DOT Approved.

2017 Can Am Spyder F3-Limited

Lamonster front fender LED light kit, Madstad adjustable windshield, Lidlox Helmet Lock, Techmount phone mount

Previous 2015 Can Am Spyder RT-SE6

Bajaron Sway Bar w/links, Rivco Dual trunk mounted flag poles, Custom Dynamics Long Amber Brightsides, Custom Dynamics Long Red Brightsides, Custom Dynamics LED RT HMT Brake Light w/Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher, Techmount phone mount

Spyder Garage

Default TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM

Quote Originally Posted by jephillips44 View Post
    I thought I researched this enough but I guess not. I saw a lot of talk about Custom Dynamics and that is what I bought for my wife's 2015 RT. I am new tot he Spyder world and since I saw a lot of talk about Custom Dynamics LEDs that is what I bought. I haven't put them on yet. I havent found anything on their website saying they are reflective. I do see (NOW) that it stats Non DOT Approved.
    ....They probably aren't going to give you a refund now ...........so just get some reflective tape/stickers/plastic dots etc. and you can still use what you already have.................But imho, since the REFLECTIVE part of the light only works when a light shines on it, I find it hard to believe they won't notice the Spyder in the Headlights ..........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-10-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm not overly concerned about it. This should only be a factor at night when it is parked. That doesn't happen often (yet). I think ity will be fine myself. When I told her the news she was like, I thought you did research.lol. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Can Am Spyder F3-Limited

Lamonster front fender LED light kit, Madstad adjustable windshield, Lidlox Helmet Lock, Techmount phone mount

Previous 2015 Can Am Spyder RT-SE6

Bajaron Sway Bar w/links, Rivco Dual trunk mounted flag poles, Custom Dynamics Long Amber Brightsides, Custom Dynamics Long Red Brightsides, Custom Dynamics LED RT HMT Brake Light w/Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher, Techmount phone mount

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Just picked up a new 2015 RTS and had pre-ordered the Custom Dynamics HTM, Superbrightleds.com Brake Light Strobe Module (only $4.95) and the SpyderFenderZ package from TricLED which includes the Blinker Assembly.

Very impressed with connectors included with Custom Dynamics and their instructions which were very clear and precise. Very disappointed in the instructions for the TricLED. I found them very confusing but fortunately I was able to call them Sat. afternoon (which surprised me they were there) and did get an explanation to my question. The Brake Light Strobe with the brightness of the HTM was very impressive and an easy addition. I opted NOT to use the HTM for running light but only braking so it shows up and alerts those behind much better.

I opted for the reflector option on the TricLED as I feel any additional safety lighting even when the bike is parked is an advantage.

Overall very pleased with the final results. Just wish the instructions for the TricLED package was clearer for this novice.

HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Thanks Mike.
    On the brakes, do you just have the strip below the trunk or you have that other one on top as well? I think I saw somewhere a strip of lights that were red running and brake and then they turned to amber turn signals. I'd like to have a look at those as well.
    I have a lower strip between the tail lights, one above it between the trunk and body panel, a circle of led's around the emblem, and their very bright 2 row brake light in the crease of the upper trunk.

all of it light half bright as running and then full bright upon braking.

I also added a little circuit board from ebay I've used on my cars that flashes the top extra brake light with 2 adjustments...how long and how fast they flash. I have it hooked up to the top of trunk and the circle emblem lights when braking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976580384...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default led lights

Driving a bike or Spyder seems like every one is out to get you > Even walking at I cross walk.. so the more lights ( LED ) the better as long as they are dot . Braking lights. fender facing rear ( red ) is the best to get. Also having them able to flash helps the idots riding your REAR put then on or have them installed soon ..Ride SAfe

Spyder Garage

I use LED's form both vendors, they have different LED's for different applications. I picked the Custom Dynamics fender LED's because they are brighter in the daytime. I would rather have my Spyder more visible when I'm riding verses when it's parked.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....I was curious so I went to the site you listed on E-bay.....Did you happen to read the part about this thing won't work with a CAN-BUS WIRING SYSTEM ?????..... I'm almost positive that's what the Spyders have !!!!.... Mike
    The Spyder Can Bus doesn't control the brake lights. From what I read somewhere about BMW's Can Bus and brake lights they use a Can Bus controller that sends a pulsed signal down the line to tell the brake light whether to be a normal level as a tail light or high level for braking. Can Bus is a communication protocol system that is used for many different applications on a vehicle. Dodge uses Can Bus on Jeeps to reduce the brightness levels of the headlights for running lights which causes LED headlights to flicker. There's nothing like that on the Spyder Can Bus. In other words Can Bus on vehicle 1 ain't Can Bus on vehicle 2 ain't Can Bus on vehicle 3.

Here's what's controlled by the Can Bus system on the Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default CAN-BUS ISSUE QUESTIONS

...............................Thanks, IdahoMtnSpyder.....I just read your first post about this and was going to ask to clarify my Quoted statement.......Thank you, for doing so...............I'm going to delete my warning........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default LEDs

I have TricLED and Custom Dynamics LEDs installed on our 2010 RTS-SE5 and have been happy with both companies products.

Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Pictures of LED'S @ night on a 2014RTS-SE6

Here is are some pictures of the TRIC-LED'S that I have on my 2014RTS-SE6: this is the front fender ( left) amber LED w/ Safety Reflector design + Red Amber ( facing driver) LED w/ Safety Reflector design, Right side: front fender LED w/Safety Reflector design+ Red ( facing driver) LED w/ Safety Reflector.

Right side: front fender LED w/ Safety Reflector design + Red( facing driver) LED w/ safety reflector and Red Amber Side marker w/ safety Reflector design. Left side: front amber LED's w/ safety reflector + Red amber(Facing driver) safety reflector, and Red side Marker , red LED w/ safety reflector. I bought the above from TRIC-LED and I am like them. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Question Is TricLED DOT approved

Since it has been mentioned, would someone who knows actually tell us if TricLED's reflective amber and red side lights are DOT approved or are simply reflective ? DOT approval is a long and expensive process to go through so I wonder if any of the custom products advertised here are DOT approved. Ron? Anne ? Reggie ?

Spyder Garage

Default reflectivity

All I have to do is imagine my Spyder sidelined on the shoulder of a busy interstate at night (ran out of gas, maybe? who knows -- it can happen) to acknowledge that having a decent set of red reflectors showing up from a LONG way back in the beam of the traffics' headlights is a desirable thing.

I've seen too many dead vehicles parked on the shoulder that wouldn't have been visible until the last moment had it not been for the reflectors. When your key is off, your battery dead, etc, that's all you got!

Pete

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm angry at you all!!!

After I installed my SpyderPops stainless steel grills, my SpyderPops missing belt guard and my SpyderFlaps mud flap, I decided I was done $pending on farkles for a while. Then I read this post yesterday and ordered $350 of front fender lighting.

I blame each and every one of you!
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!