Spyder Garage

Default My 20$ LED set up

So i felt like putting some underglow on the bike. I dont like seeing the strips but think the light is cool for the 20% of the time i ride at night. I didnt want to spend a lot of money on any of the set ups i have seen though. Basically i am a cheap bastard lol.
    Here is what i did. I bought some LED strips off ebay for about 3$ and stuck them under the frunk. I bought a 12 adapter for about another 4$, basically something that plugs into the 12v adapter like a car charger that has 2 wires comign off of it and even an on off button. I ran the two wires thought the battery door in the frunk and then underneath and attached the led strips. That way they turn off with the key. Then i bought 2 battery operated led strips for 4$ a piece and stuck them under the saddlebags where the black plastic is and then used a couple of command picture hangers. Basically like velcro but better and stuck the battery box for the led strips right on the end so you cant really see any of it but you can reach underneath and turn the switch on the box easy to turn them on and can remove the box easy to change batteries. The batteries, 3 aaa, are supposed to last like 60-100 hours or something which is a long time imo. Anyway they also change color and will flash or strobe or whatever else you want them to do. Whole deal cost about 20 and required no drilling, removing panels etc. Here are some pictures. the front strips are blue so i keep the rear on blue too but changed the color for the pictures just so you could see how they change.
    first one is stips taped up under the frunk, last one is the rear strip taped (they all have sticky tape on them) and the battery box
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

screwed up putting in the images! here is the battery box pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are those blue? I really like the look, but it seems like blue would attract negative attention from Law Enforcement.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSpyderRyder View Post
    Are those blue? I really like the look, but it seems like blue would attract negative attention from Law Enforcement.
    Yes they are blue (favorite color). not sure why they would attract law enforcement more than any other color especially shinning down onto the ground. I am actually thinking of going to a warm white or red though. The rear ones can change to any color you want. Second picture i changed the rear to red. The ones in front i would need to splice in a couple new strips but that would only cost me another $4
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe it's just a Carolina thing... Use of red or blue lights on vehicles prohibited; exceptions.(a) It is unlawful for any person to install or activate or operate a red light in or on anyvehicle in this State. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "redlight" means an operable red light not sealed in the manufacturer's original package which: (i)is designed for use by an emergency vehicle or is similar in appearance to a red light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and (ii) can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery,vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery. As used in this subsection, the term "red light"shall also mean any forward facing red light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSpyderRyder View Post
    Maybe it's just a Carolinoa thing... Use of red or blue lights on vehicles prohibited; exceptions.(a) It is unlawful for any person to install or activate or operate a red light in or on anyvehicle in this State. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "redlight" means an operable red light not sealed in the manufacturer's original package which: (i)is designed for use by an emergency vehicle or is similar in appearance to a red light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and (ii) can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery,vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery. As used in this subsection, the term "red light"shall also mean any forward facing red light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle.
    Your not alone & it must be a L.A. Thing wanting the glow look while you driveż I want to be seen for SAFETY not to be cool. That is good for shows when there is no oncoming possibly drunk traffic saying "ooh pretty" . To each their own. Agree it does look nice, just not for driving. (Off soapbox)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

The first thing I thought when I saw the pictures, was here in Florida, the police would be on you in a minute, NO blue lights on your vehicle, and you have to be careful with the red. No white lights out the back. It does look good though.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member redneck diva's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

as the self proclaimed queen of LED's (over 152ft of LED's on my Spydy) those look really good, subtle & gives a nice soft glow................. as far as the law goes,,,,,,,,,,, you can have the blue as long as you don't have them flashing.

at least here in GA you can.
    Redneck Diva

Member of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club Chapter #213--
    Central Georgia
    Proud PGR rider

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Legal or not: They look GREAT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You can have any color as long as they are not on (red/blue) while on the "road". In a parking lot/parade is ok. At Spyder Riders in the Redwoods someone was telling that they got stopped for the blue in the American Flag on the back. Just jerked him around but didn't write a ticket.

I'd take my chances with the flag since I too have one. I doubt if any judge would consider that an actual "blue light". Of course, I could be wrong, but I'll go to court to test it.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RED CAN BE A PROBLEM .....HOWEVER

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    You can have any color as long as they are not on (red/blue) while on the "road". In a parking lot/parade is ok. At Spyder Riders in the Redwoods someone was telling that they got stopped for the blue in the American Flag on the back. Just jerked him around but didn't write a ticket.

I'd take my chances with the flag since I too have one. I doubt if any judge would consider that an actual "blue light". Of course, I could be wrong, but I'll go to court to test it.
    .....I agree the BLUE is a ticket waiting to be issued, but the RED , it depends on where it is......I have added RED LED's to the back and rear sides and these are Legal............in the front - NOT........and if that FLAG was on the rear I think the cop was just yanking Their chain..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Flag

If I ever got a ticket for a lighted American flag, I would demand a trial; and my friends, no jury in the world would deny this disabled veteran the honor of displaying my flag! I pity the fool who would write me that ticket!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

latony007,

Ignore the naysayers.

Drive with your blue lights if you want.
    If the police have an issue with it they will write you a note telling you
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Blue

My brother has lights that change on his Ninja but almost always ride with blue to match the bike and has never had an issue. Ride on! Yes he is in North Carolina. Charolette.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    If I ever got a ticket for a lighted American flag, I would demand a trial; and my friends, no jury in the world would deny this disabled veteran the honor of displaying my flag! I pity the fool who would write me that ticket!!!
    I agree, I was just thinking about putting the American Flag lights on my 2015 RTL. I Pitty the Fool that tells me I can't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    latony007,

Ignore the naysayers.

Drive with your blue lights if you want.
    If the police have an issue with it they will write you a note telling you
    Around here it would be a "fix it ticket" and all i would have to do is press the button to change to whatever color the officer said was ok it has like 15 colors available on the rears. On the fronts i would just hit the switch in the frunk to turn them off. But i dont think i would ever get pulled over for these, They shine down onto the ground and are not lights that would be visible or be mistaken for cop lights or something but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....I agree the BLUE is a ticket waiting to be issued, but the RED , it depends on where it is......I have added RED LED's to the back and rear sides and these are Legal............in the front - NOT........and if that FLAG was on the rear I think the cop was just yanking Their chain..........Mike
    I have red LED on the front and rear of my yamaha and never had a problem with those in 3 years.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40