Thread: Millage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Millage

I am new on this site and have already learned a lot about the Spyder. I also have another questions before I buy a new or used one. I had asked a question about buying new or used earlier and the replies were great. Thank you everyone for that.

I would love to buy a 2015 but at this time I do not think my budget will allow me to. I may have to go used. I have found a very nice 2013 RT with 9000 miles on it for what I think is a good deal and in very good shape and what I can afford. The total package at the dealer out the door with everything included is $16,900.00.
    My question is the millage on this unit. Is this something I need to worry about or is this something I should not even let effect my decision on the purchase?

Is 9000 miles high or average on this unit? The dealer I am buying it from sold it to the original owner new and they have all the service records on it and it looks to me everything was done like it should have been.

Any help here would be great and thanks in advance for your replies.

Spyder Garage

Can't really comment on price since you don't specify which RT model it is, but the big difference is the 2013 has the 998 cc engine with the 2015 has the 1330.. There is a world of difference in performance... Sure the mileage is much better with the 2015, probably 25%, but with the current and expected price of gasoline that is no longer such a big factor.. I have seen brand new 2015 RT special edition series sell for as low as $21699 even before the 2016s were available for sale, so I would definitely price shop a bit if I were you....
    Again the mileage question is personal taste.. It seems pretty reasonable to me but then again my 2014 RTL has 42000 miles and my 2015 F3S has 22000 miles
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Stay with in your means.

Price and mileage aren't bad.

13 rt's do have heat issues and have been fixed just make sure it has all the new upgrades.

I do have a 13 but is an rs. Have put 12000 moles on it and love it

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices. ..

Mileage is something these machines are not great on if compared to mopeds. They are great compared to muscle cars from the 60's.... There are differences in the twin and the triple. Stay within your means but if mileage is a deal breaker go with the triple...I love the twin and live with the 33mpg's..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I faced the same problem that you do. I have 1330 tastes and a 998 budget. In June of last year I found a 2012 RT Limited in a private sale within 100 miles of my house. It only had 8500 miles on it and looked beautiful. I rode, took my wife for a ride on it bought it and never looked back.We stayed in our budget,we got a great price &(15,000.00) for a limited. I talked to the original selling/servicing dealer, saw the records and knew I had a winner. Be sure you read the Spyder Do's and Don't page especially for the twin. My mileage is also around 30 mpg which is OK for someone who lives at 5000 ft. My Goldwing trike was not that good. I have no trouble keeping up with my buddies at whatever speed they want to ride. I rode it to Sturgis this summer and it was great. On your 2013 just make sure the recall work has been done for the heat issue. Welcome to the world of Spyder and post a pic when you get it home.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

9000 miles doesn't sound "high" to me. The demographic for the Spyder,
    especially the RT is , um, wellll.... let's just say "more Mature". Because of this
    there are some crazy low mileage ones out there. I see them listed all over.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default POSTING QUESTIONS

....You posted almost the same post on 1-4-16, so MY answer is the same ,....your welcome ..............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-07-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a '13 STS SE5, it is a 998 V twin and I enjoy riding it a ton!! The biggest thing with the twin is that the engine makes all of it's power at high RPM, I just try to keep mine above 4,000 RPM, shift points at 5,000-5,500 RPM. I get 32-34 MPG normally and I am not gentle on the throttle. My point is that you should get good service from the 2013 RT and the price
    seems pretty good. I too was holding to budget when I got my Spyder, I just got it in May of 2015, it was a left over 2013 so the out the door price was really good!!!!
    Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you'll love it. Do read the Do's and Don'ts thread, lots of great info there for new owners!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

i bought my 2015 for 18,999 thats 2000 or about 11% difference to get a new zero mile, 1330 engine, with longer warranty (repairs are expensive on these babys) and not to mention the heat issues with the 2013. Even if fixed i cant believe its as comfortable to ride in the warmth as a 2015 which has the radiator moved forward. IMO drop the extra 2000 and get a 15. Also a lot less maintenance and gas on the 2015 you will make up the extra 2000 just in service costs. Let us know how it turns out.

To answer your question though no 9000 is not a lot of miles but again not worth buying a used one that is a lesser bike and could already have problems. Contact Imotorsports a site sponser, they will even ship the bike to you for free.

http://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defau...=xNewInventory
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I take it this is the same one you wrote about on 1/4, an RT-S, correct? If so, I see the dealer has come down a grand. IMO that is still about $2000 too high. Since he's already come down some, and this is not riding season in your area, hang tough. He'll probably come down some more. What you have to decide for yourself is at what point you want the bike just as badly as he wants to sell it. NADA price is $13,700 to $18,000. Halfway between the high and low, $15,800, would be on the upper end of what I would consider paying. You really have to figure out what your absolute top dollar price is, and then not budge even $1 higher. As hard as it can be, be ready to walk away at your top dollar plus 1. Naturally, you start out lower! I'd offer him $14,000, which he'll reject. But that is high enough he will know you are serious about negotiating. I'll bet he'll come back at $16,000, at which time you offer to split the difference.

Negotiating is an interesting and fun game. The fact he has already moved on his price means he will move some more. And be patient. His price is high enough, and riding season is dead enough, that time is on your side. You want him to know you want it, just not at his current asking price.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

9,000 miles? It's not even broken-in yet!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You can find a 2014 with 1330 engine, low miles in your price range pretty easy. I think you should keep looking. Good luck
    2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard, Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 sts same v twin I have 33099 miles and get between 32 and 35 mpg all day long. 9000 miles is nothing on a spyder! Enjoy the ride!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
    I am new on this site and have already learned a lot about the Spyder. I also have another questions before I buy a new or used one. I had asked a question about buying new or used earlier and the replies were great. Thank you everyone for that.

I would love to buy a 2015 but at this time I do not think my budget will allow me to. I may have to go used. I have found a very nice 2013 RT with 9000 miles on it for what I think is a good deal and in very good shape and what I can afford. The total package at the dealer out the door with everything included is $16,900.00.
    My question is the millage on this unit. Is this something I need to worry about or is this something I should not even let effect my decision on the purchase?

Is 9000 miles high or average on this unit? The dealer I am buying it from sold it to the original owner new and they have all the service records on it and it looks to me everything was done like it should have been.

Any help here would be great and thanks in advance for your replies.
    TOO Much for a 2013 (Which Had Heat Problems) I have a 2012 sm5 with 14,000 miles for $12,000 with Lots of extras? I paid $17,000 New for Mine . Big rebates that year!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I say, do your homework FIRST. 9000 miles is nothing, sorry I am unable to comment on anything else about the 2013. I was a GUINEA PIG, for the 2008 GS , and still today LOVE IT. Of course there were problems and issues, but all ironed out. Do not hesitate to take it on a road trip. Good luck.