Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default WHY ARE THE AFTER MARKET SWAY (or anti-sway) BARS BETTER?

I recently rode my 2014 RT-Limited on a flat X-Way at 70 mph with virtually nothing to slow-down a 20-30 mph wind. And, I got kicked around pretty good. Front tires had 20 psi & rear 28 psi.

Two questions:

1. Will an after market sway bar improve handling described in above?
    2. Assuming these sway bars are better -- WHY?

Thanks in advance for your advice & responses.

Uncle Dave in Michigan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When I bought the Fat White Chick I was skeptical whether an aftermarket anti-sway bar was worth the money. But after reading about it here on the forum, I decided to put it on.

I was impressed with the difference in handling. Prior to the change, the FWC was twitchy in any crosswinds, and on turns it took a lot of little corrections to keep it in a turn. All that is gone with the new bar.

I had a dealer install the bar along with a laser alignment. They did not replace the plastic OEM links at the time, and I just put them on a week or so ago. They added even a bit more stability, and I would recommend doing the bar and adding the billet links at the same time.

Your Spyder will be much more stable in all types of road conditions with the replacement. I would recommend it.

As far as why, I can only guess the aftermarket bar is stiffer, providing more torque when any yaw occurs. One interesting thing I found is that the OEM links have bushings that can rotate in any direction. The BajaRon links I used only rotate up and down, which I assume adds a bit of stiffness in the bar ends. That's my opinion, anyway.
    Last edited by MisterP; 05-01-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They work simply because they add a bit more anti-roll stiffness, to what is a soft and plush suspension.
    BRP has designed these bikes for a very soft ride...
    The only problem with that, is it makes the bikes move around a bit in response to lateral forces...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

One of the biggest things I saw was the Ron Bar was shorter and had a sharper angle then the OEM bar which would allow me to believe it to be tighter. I replaced mine on my 12 rs but not on 14 rts yet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

Like most things the manufacturer looks for the best ryde for the largest group. Though you see a lot said about the BajaRon sway bar there are a larger number of ryders happy with the oem bar, which is a good ryde. For those in different areas (high winds, mostly freeway ryding) they want more stability and a tighter ryde. The aggresive ryder want that and more (shocks). Brp does offer a better bar for the sporty units but Ron's bar and hiem joints are far better...you want the solid ryde get the bar...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've made a wise choice!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Also note--older thread.

Have you had a laser alignment yet? I could not believe how easily and straight both 's tracked after the alignment.

One was a "little" out of spec and one was a "lot" out of spec.

Have not used an aftermarket sway bar on any of my machines. But...that is just me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't see it stated, so I'll add this:

QUESTION: WHY ARE THE AFTER MARKET SWAY (or anti-sway) BARS BETTER?

ANSWER: Because the the aftermarket swaybar is made from a thicker diameter bar. The thicker diameter gives it greater ability to resist body rolling motions, so it does a better job than the factory swaybar.

That said, swapping out the swaybar will not address all of the factory suspension issues as the front and rear springs are a bit too soft for the job. Depending on your weight, you will need to get the front and rear a bit stiffer to keep from bottoming out.

Jerry

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Are the aftermarket sway bars only an improvement on the RT models?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Graptor View Post
    There is a BajaRon Sway Bar Kit for every Spyder year and model. They all benefit with better handling and stability in crosswinds, etc.

I know there are more people out there without my bar than with. But in nearly every case, they have not tried the bar upgrade so they have no way to compare. If you can ride a similar Spyder with my bar kit installed, that is the way to discover the benefits. Most people can tell the improvement on the 1st turn.

ENJOY!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Question NO

Quote Originally Posted by Graptor View Post

NO------but what years are you asking about???

I have a '14 RT-s and it is vastly different from previous years ( under all the plastic ).

Kaos

PS: As ron said ----- A better anti-sway bar will help all the models of Spyder and all years. It was in the first group of modifacations on my Spyder and it helped A LOT.
    Last edited by Lew L; 02-17-2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: PS
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    NO------but what years are you asking about???

I have a '14 RT-s and it is vastly different from previous years ( under all the plastic ).

Kaos

PS: As ron said ----- A better anti-sway bar will help all the models of Spyder and all years. It was in the first group of modifacations on my Spyder and it helped A LOT.
    i have a new 2015 RS