Spyder Garage

Default RT Vented Windshield Question

I own a 2013 RT-S and am looking to replace the OEM windshield with a vented one. The main problem I have is that with the OEM windshield at highway speeds, there can be a significant amount of buffeting. It is my understanding that the buffeting issue can be resolved by switching to a vented windshield. What I am hung up on is whether I should go with a 23" or 25"? I know that the OEM is 25". I'd like to know thoughts about going with the 23". Would the 23" vented windshield produce less buffeting than the 25"? Any pros or cons of the 23" versus the 25"? Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

......you could just put a VENT in yours !!!!!! ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Again

A good vent in most any windshild will move the turbelence up and back. The ( any) shield that is angled upwards will creat a negative pressure and turbelence. You can buy a Goldwing style vent and cut you shield. $50.00 or so if you good with a drill and jig saw. ( And tape and measuring tools). I did one on a screen for my Valkyrie. Take you time and have the right cutting tools.

I also have a BRP vented shield it works GREAT.

Buffetting causes:::::::

Kaos

Probably---- the taller shield will help keep your passinger in lthe still air bubble.
    Last edited by Lew L; 01-07-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: answer the height ? & speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

How easy or difficult is it to install a vent? Also, is there a specific vent that's used?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have had a 23 and 25 inch. I liked the 25 better then the 23 because it reduced more air flow.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    I have had a 23 and 25 inch. I liked the 25 better then the 23 because it reduced more air flow.
    go bigger then cut down if needed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't you have the two small openings in the corners? (They line up with holes in the mounting bracket...)
    Those helped to reduce buffeting quite a bit, when compared to my 2010's "Non-Holey" 27" windshield...
    Go with the 25"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had a vented adjustable windshield. Save your money--it sucks literally. I traded it to Len at PitBull for the OEM W/S. It came with the Spyder along with many other accessories which was used as a demo. OEM has a vent already cut out. If yours does not have it you can get it cut to match the OEM. I had a RTS and now have a RTL. Both came with the cutout in the W/S as standard.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I have the 25" vented windshield and it works great.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

I have a 23" BRP vented shield on my 15 LTD, love it. I'm short and the 25" is too tall for me to see over.
    I had a 12 LTD that I added a Gold Wing vent, and trimmed it down to 23".
    The installation wasn't difficult at all. I chose to go with the factory vented BRP shield on my 15, rather than cut up the stock one this time, too many other farkles to install.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VENT

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    How easy or difficult is it to install a vent? Also, is there a specific vent that's used?
    .......Like Koas above said get one for a Gold Wing and use that........I think it's a Honda OEM part ..............How difficult ????....it depends ...how handi are you.....Mike

Spyder Garage

I am hands-on as I perform all of my own maintenance, but I am not good enough with a dremel where I think I would be happy with the results. In addition, I want to keep the OEM windshield so that I can put it back in place when I sell the 2013 down the road. Currently, from what I've seen, the vented shield will work from 2013 through the current model year so my plan is to buy one now and carry it forward. I think I will stick with the 25" shield as well since I am 6'. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Spyder Garage

.......Like Koas above said get one for a Gold Wing and use that........I think it's a Honda OEM part ..............How difficult ????....it depends ...how handi are you.....Mike
    , except that since I'm not good with a Dremel either, I went with the F4 windshield that already has the Honda vent built-in. That gave me the added advantage of getting rid of those dirt sucking, holes that are cut into the bottom of the OEM windshield.

At Spyderquest, where I got the windshield installed, I looked at all the different heights and widths that the F4 folks had to offer. The windshield height you choose may be somewhat dependent on your own height. I stayed with the same 25 inch windshield height that I already had. (I even had Kim hold up each of their windshields in front of my Spyder while I sat on the seat - which, to her credit, she was happy to do.) Since I am tall, it was perfect for me because I could adjust it up or down so I could look over the top, or be fully shielded, whichever seems most desirable at any given time.

I agree you will be more happy with the 25 inch windshield, Stew, since you and I are about the same height.

Last edited by robmorg; 01-09-2016 at 09:03 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I think a lot of it depends on how tall you are. I'm 5' 8" and the factory windshield was to tall. I could not see over it in the lowest position. So I bought a 23" vented windshield for my 15 RT Limited. It works great. In the almost lowest position I can see over it and I can raise it for more protection if needed. I really like it.

Spyder Garage

Default I went this route...

I did this for both my and my wife's 2014 RT-S's. Got the taller and wider version! Love it!.

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    , except that since I'm not good with a Dremel either, I went with the F4 windshield that already has the Honda vent built-in. That gave me the added advantage of getting rid of those dirt sucking, holes that are cut into the bottom of the OEM windshield.

At Spyderquest, where I got the windshield installed, I looked at all the different heights and widths that the F4 folks had to offer. The windshield height you choose may be somewhat dependent on your own height. I stayed with the same 25 inch windshield height that I already had. (I even had Kim hold up each of their windshields in front of my Spyder while I sat on the seat - which, to her credit, she was happy to do.) Since I am tall, it was perfect for me because I could adjust it up or down so I could look over the top, or be fully shielded, whichever seems most desirable at any given time.

I agree you will be more happy with the 25 inch windshield, Stew, since you and I are about the same height.

2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark