Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT HAPPY WITH BRP (AGAIN)

Well, here is my rant for the day. My RT developed an oil leak, which I discovered by having to add oil more frequently than usual. I check it weekly. I only saw one oil stain about the size of a quarter on my garage floor. So, I got down on my belly to look for any drips, and saw none. I than ran my hand along the bottom (underneath) splash panels and came away with a hand coated with oil. There was also an oily film on the right side body panels. Took it in to the dealer & they found that the valve cover gaskets were leaking, and I was quoted $600+ to replace them. Asked the service manager if this would be covered under warranty, and he said that it probably would not be. I called BRP as soon as I got off the phone with him & started a case. Gave the dealer the case number. After 5 days, BRP decided that they would cover the repair. Then, parts had to be ordered, and we all know how long that takes.

Anyway gaskets were (finally) replaced, they cleaned up the engine and inside of the body panels (The SM said that there was oil everywhere) then test rode it. Then they found that the head gaskets were leaking as well. Another call to BRP by the dealer. Again, no response for several days. BRP then decided to cover the new repair. Again, parts had to be ordered, another waiting ordeal. The SM at the dealer is every bit as frustrated as I am that he has to call BRP for EACH individual repair, and then wait forever for an answer and for parts. Plus, my RT is taking up space in his (small) shop.

Now here is the kicker. As of today 12/24/15, my RT has been in the shop for 40 days. I feel like Noah.Needless to say, I am not too happy.

I firmly believe that the excessive heat that my RT experienced prior to the recall either was the cause of, or contributed to, the gasket failures. On a whim, I asked that the engine be replaced - knowing that would NEVER ​happen - and got a flat-out no. But hey, you can't get what you don't ask for.

To me, this is yet another demonstration of BRP's callous treatment of their customers. Once they have your money, they forget about you.

OK, rant over.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear that this has shut down your Season so early this year...
    Could the heat have warped the heads? That would certainly put it back into BRP's hands...

Wishing you both a quick, fair and just settlement to all of this, and a Merry Christmas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Dwight,

Hopefully this will be the end of your problems with your RT. If not, I would look at trading it in if you can afford to. I know myself, when I loose confidence in something I get rid of it. That is why we got Deb the STL. Her RS was throwing codes, and I didn't trust it not to break down on her in the middle of nowhere.

Have a good Christmas.

Spyder Garage

Default Not Everything Here is Negative

Well, there are some positive points to your story. First, it happened in the winter, so you didn't have to wait out that time during the peak riding season. Secondly BRP did honer both warranty claims, after the dealer thought that they would not. Also, from what I've found, it's not typical for BRP to drag out decisions on warranty claims over several days. Could it have been the dealer causing the delays?

I have not generally been supportive of BRP customer service on this forum, but in this case I don't see a whole lot to complain about. Of course, I realize it's not MY 2013 RT with the problems. I hope this is the end of it for you.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

glad you have her back and your rant is justified. But you got the silver lining many others did not. Good dealer is the key and your follow through. Hang on to them and enjoy your ryde when you can get back out there. ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sitting here looking at my Green Manual reading about cylinder head gasket replacement. First step under cylinder head removal - "Remove engine from vehicle".

I wonder how they diagnosed that? Are the heads warped? Both of them?

If you're comfortable with the shop's ability, then that's all that matters. But, I'm shaking my head just a little.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

IMO the Spyder is a fun bike, but BRP is a pathetic company.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Here is hoping that it is fixed this time and that you can now enjoy the .

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry but IMHO It honestly sounds more to me like an incompetent dealer doing repairs with an improper initial diagnosis.

I'd be willing to bet its oil from the airbox from having the oil level over filled. Or even the water pump drive seal leaking at the case weep hole.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Sorry but IMHO It honestly sounds more to me like an incompetent dealer doing repairs with an improper initial diagnosis.

I'd be willing to bet its oil from the airbox from having the oil level over filled. Or even the water pump drive seal leaking at the case weep hole.
    That would be GREAT, if you are right.
    But couldn't they have traced that right back to the airbox a long time ago?

Spyder Garage

Lot's of oil and in the place as described sounds like the valve gaskets. I experienced that when I had my last valve check/adjustment done. Twenty eight thousand miles on my 2010 RTS. Needed no adjustment, and I decided that would be my last valve adjustment service on any 998. The mechanic was to cheap/lazy to put in new gaskets. It started leaking over the winter and they got it back in the spring. They had to fix it on their dime.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 12-24-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That would be GREAT, if you are right.
    But couldn't they have traced that right back to the airbox a long time ago?
    Yup, over fill the oil and we all know it goes to the airbox above and to the right, down the motor, right side splash pan. Heck, some of the oil goes there when you run the oil level at correct level and try to stay consistently at the full line.
    Also, I think many people over think it with checking the oil TO much, trying to keep the level full.

I'm just not buying BOTH valve cover gaskets AND BOTH head gaskets.
    Also, they weren't sure if warranty would cover it?? Why would that even be a question.

Again, my opinion...[emoji57]

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm with you. I believe this is the same dealer that told the OP that they didn't need to check valve clearance because they weren't making noise. I think I would get a second opinion.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I picked my Spyder up from the dealer yesterday, it had been there since Tuesday the 15th for a clutch fluid leak and radiator leak. They quickly found the radiator leak and ordered a new hose which arrived on Friday. The gasket thing that sits in the clutch fluid reservoir had ripples and it would leak and they had pre-ordered a replacement before I dropped off the bike but the tech called me to ask about how the bike shifted. He had trouble getting it into neutral so he wanted to tear into the clutch further. He found a push rod that had an issue with something on the end of it - sorry to be so technical - and they would need to order a replacement. It was around noon on Friday and their cut-off for same day shipments from BRP was at 10:00 am so they asked me if I wanted to pay for overnight shipping to get the part there on Tuesday. The tech is taking off between Christmas and New Years so it would have been unlikely that the part would have arrived with the normal 2nd day shipping so I paid the shipping and the part arrived on Tuesday they installed it and I picked up my Spyder yesterday. All of this was covered under warranty. This is the way my dealer, ProShop Motorsports & Marine, Henderson, NV operates all the time.

Why is it that my dealer can make it happen and others can't?
    Sorta off topic but how many miles and what has been your service history with the clutch fluid?
    I ask because BRP seems to be using rubber parts in the clutch that the fluid deteriorates really quick! If left alone the slave hangs up and destroys itself.

On my 12' I've flushed the fluid every winter since new and I'm right at 13k miles.
    A local guy/tech has now done two clutch rebuilds replacing all the rubber parts with aflas which is supposed to be considerably more resistant to deterioration from brake fluid.
    Not enough miles on either machine yet though to know long term.
    No issues on mine yet but will probably go aflas when needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll stray off-topic with you...
    Clutch fluids have been an ongoing topic around here. There's no doubt that they require servicing on an annual basis, and that the soft parts inside DO come apart rather quickly...

Let's get back to Dwight's problem now...

Spyder Garage

I have a lot of trust and confidence in my dealer. They have IMO always treated me fairly and decently. They have been known to reduce service prices to me from time to time for my inconvenience. I really don't think that this is a dealer issue. As this has dragged on, the SM has apologized to me several times, and said that he appreciates my patience. I am being patient with the dealer, not so much with BRP. I have a 2 year history with them dragging their feet to get things done under warranty. If, for example, someone's Ford was in the shop for 40 days waiting for repair authorization and parts, does anyone think that person would not be screaming their head off and making all kinds of threats? That is not my way. I have not, and will not make any threats of litigation, etc. against either the dealer or BRP. I think that just makes things worse for all concerned. Oh, and did I mention (I forget) that last April the RT was in the shop for 24 days waiting for a water pump impeller? It is not reasonable to expect any dealer - Can-Am, Ford, Chevy, etc. to keep a huge inventory of parts that might be needed for any repair that might need to be done, but I think it is reasonable to expect that the manufacturer have a parts stream that is capable and reliable. To me, this is where BRP fails big time.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Arrow You're fortunate

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    This is the way my dealer, ProShop Motorsports & Marine, Henderson, NV operates all the time.

Why is it that my dealer can make it happen and others can't?
    Because they understand and practice what any 'good dealer' should? They obviously know their product, know how it is supported, and take care of those who keep their doors open(the customer). Sounds simple but like common sense. It ain't so common.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I have a lot of trust and confidence in my dealer. They have IMO always treated me fairly and decently. They have been known to reduce service prices to me from time to time for my inconvenience. I really don't think that this is a dealer issue. As this has dragged on, the SM has apologized to me several times, and said that he appreciates my patience. I am being patient with the dealer, not so much with BRP. I have a 2 year history with them dragging their feet to get things done under warranty. If, for example, someone's Ford was in the shop for 40 days waiting for repair authorization and parts, does anyone think that person would not be screaming their head off and making all kinds of threats? That is not my way. I have not, and will not make any threats of litigation, etc. against either the dealer or BRP. I think that just makes things worse for all concerned. Oh, and did I mention (I forget) that last April the RT was in the shop for 24 days waiting for a water pump impeller? It is not reasonable to expect any dealer - Can-Am, Ford, Chevy, etc. to keep a huge inventory of parts that might be needed for any repair that might need to be done, but I think it is reasonable to expect that the manufacturer have a parts stream that is capable and reliable. To me, this is where BRP fails big time.
    Old Guy in CT, I think I know ( I do know) who your dealer is, (Stamford). This dealer is too busy pushing all his other motorbike lines, from my
    experience with him he does not like to have Spyders in his shop, I gave up on him 3 years ago.
    I now go to the dealer in Waterbury, BRP products is all he sells, his service has been excellent, plus much more reasonable
    with his charges than Mr. Personality (owner) in Stamford.
    From your place in Weston the Waterbury dealer is about the same distance to Stamford.
    Just saying my friend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Well, there are some positive points to your story. First, it happened in the winter, so you didn't have to wait out that time during the peak riding season. Secondly BRP did honer both warranty claims, after the dealer thought that they would not. Also, from what I've found, it's not typical for BRP to drag out decisions on warranty claims over several days. Could it have been the dealer causing the delays?

I have not generally been supportive of BRP customer service on this forum, but in this case I don't see a whole lot to complain about. Of course, I realize it's not MY 2013 RT with the problems. I hope this is the end of it for you.
    I think brp did great plus being winter I wouldn't complain much as said above. Great for brp to cover the repairs.

Spyder Garage

Default I agree!

I happen to agree with the OP. BRP is lacking in the parts supply chain department. I have had to wait ten plus days twice for the valve cover gaskets to come from Canada. I am sure that if BRP wanted to they could get larger dealers in strategic areas to stock "common failure" parts and them send them to the dealers in their region when needed. It only takes a relatively small amount of work (cost) to set this up. But to do this BRP would need to care about getting us back on our bikes as soon as possible.

Spyder Garage

I have had one issue with my 2014 rt. The DESS code. BRB reacted fast the dealer also did me great service. When back home Drew at the Chandler Az ride now did a fabulous job of follow up. So I am wondering if the problems I read about are dealer service dept personal.
    2 cents free from Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Well Hell View Post
    I am sure that if BRP wanted to they could get larger dealers in strategic areas to stock "common failure" parts and them send them to the dealers in their region when needed.
    I know BRP has corporate offices across the US, I would assume that they have some parts warehouses as well, but I can't say for sure. I know that Yamaha has three parts warehouses in the US, it is highly likely that the other manufacturers have similar operations.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

The bigger issue in this discussion might be the qualifications of dealers' mechanics. How good are they? Have they received training specific to Spyders? Have their employers (dealerships) sent them for training specific to BRP Spyders?

As always, it goes back to the dealer: who they hire and how they train them. I want a specialist working on my very expensive machine, not some guy whose highest level of training is lawn mowers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Default Quick question...

Sorta off topic but how many miles and what has been your service history with the clutch fluid?
    I ask because BRP seems to be using rubber parts in the clutch that the fluid deteriorates really quick! If left alone the slave hangs up and destroys itself.

On my 12' I've flushed the fluid every winter since new and I'm right at 13k miles.
    A local guy/tech has now done two clutch rebuilds replacing all the rubber parts with aflas which is supposed to be considerably more resistant to deterioration from brake fluid.
    Not enough miles on either machine yet though to know long term.
    No issues on mine yet but will probably go aflas when needed.
    aflas? explain please.
    Thanks for the info.
    2016 RTS SE6
    '64 Honda CA95 "Dream"