Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default "the other site" - please explain the taboo

Being a relatively new owner of a spyder (Aug 2008) and with just a few postings on this forum I am struck by the number of members who make reference to "the other site". With no malice meant to Lamonster or the incredible work he has done with sypderlovers.com, which by the way I check on a daily basis and have learned so much from, could somebody explain to me why the "other site" to be a taboo saying. Without getting into specifics, was there "anything" that happened in the past between Lamonster and "the other guy" that has lead to such a feeling or is it just normal business competition?

Again I am not asking my question to belittle anything that Lamonster has done because in my opinion spyderlovers.com ranks right up there with the actual creation of the Sypder, but I ask only becasue I am somewhat naive to the whole thing and wondered why if the spyder family is such a close family why "the other site" is mentioned like it is taboo.

Lamonster if I have offended you in any way with this posting, that was not my intention and please feel free to remove it as you see fit.

Thanks.

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

All that should be said is The Lamonster is the man and everyone one this site is great. We do not diss. Long live the Spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's kind of like asking why are there Republicans and Democrats, why there is MSNBC and Fox News, why there are PCs and Macs. We sometimes have different views and express those views in different ways. We're all Spyder enthusiasts, but we don't always agree on issues, products, vendors, etc. How we express our views sometimes makes a difference.

Spyder Garage

It's not a problem Bro. Mark is the guy that runs SpyderTalk and he's a good guy. It's more of a respect thing as far as promoting another site. I wouldn't want anyone from here promoting SpyderLovers there. People will hangout where they feel they fit in the best or there's more content. SpyderTalk started as Can Am Talk and had a big jump on this site. If I would have found it when I was searching for Spyder forums I may have never started SpyderLovers. It's good to have options but it's kind of a unwritten rule not to promote a "competing" site thats all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    All that should be said is The Lamonster is the man and everyone one this site is great. We do not diss. Long live the Spyder

Lamont and the way he runs this forum make this an excellent place to hang out. Plus the members all seem to be classy folks as well.
    "I'm the only hell my mama ever raised"

Spyder Garage

IMHO, I searched both sites when I joined because I wanted as much information as I could have before buying a I just found that I could access people more easily here, had way more information into things I was looking for and I even have picked up the phone couple of times to ask Lamont about his opinion on things. There are not many adminstrators out there that leave their ph# for everone to view and call when they need to ask questions. So that is the experience I have had since joining so this is where I stay.

Each to their own
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 02-05-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hey everybody thanks for the providing me the "understanding". You can judge a person by what he says, what he does and what other people say about him. Based on what I have seen The Lamonster do with his bike, this forum and the knowledge has has passed on to the Sypder family and what others continually say about him it is apparent that he is one hell of a stand up guy and why spyderlovers.com is my chosen place to hang out.

Thanks again.

Rob
    Last edited by rleathen; 02-05-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    IMHO, I searched both sites when I joined because I wanted as much information as I could have before buying a I just found that I could access people more easily here, had way more information into things I was looking for and I even have picked up the phone couple of times to ask Lamont about his opinion on things. There are not many adminstrators out there that leave there ph# for everone to view and call when they need to ask questions. So that is the experience I have had since joining so this is where I stay.

Each to their own
    .... people are more laid back here, more info, gives me more of that warm fuzzy feel.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    it is apparent that he is one hell of a stand up guy and why spyderlovers.com is my chosen place to hang out.
    That's cause I taught him everything he knows.

He's one of the main reasons we decided to sponsor this site, and is one of the reasons we do all the things we do for the Spyderlovers forum.

Like he says about me but in reverse....

He's OK for "a guy from Tennessee."

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

It's really 2 different ways of doing the same thing. It's the guy (or team) that runs the site that gives it a certain flavor. As with anything else, not everyone is going to like the same thing. But everyone has the ability to choose.

I go over to SpyderTalk from time to time and I am a member there as well. But this is where I prefer to be for a lot of reasons.

Though I think a lot of Spyder riders have signed up at both sites I just like the way Lamont runs this site. Nothing against SpyderTalk at all. Just personal preference.

I like the fact that Lamont owns, rides (a lot) tears up and fixes his own Spyder. He tries just about everything that looks like it might work. If it works he tells people what he honestly thinks.

I like the way Lamont keeps this sight clean and the way all of you support him in that effort.

I like the way it feels like a team here, almost family. We may agree or argue a bit. But we are always friends first.

This doesn't happen by accident. With a little respect, like we have here, no one has to walk on egg shells.

It's a good place to be. That's why I'll be back!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I love both sites and I visit them both daily. I have no preferences one way or the other. I love both sites and a lot of the people over here post over there too. I notice little difference between the two sites. But that's just me. They are both about Spyders so they both rock!
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree with all that those have posted before me in this thread. There's a lot of great information and people at SpyderTalk and I used to participate there also but I prefer "the vibe" at SpyderLovers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    Being a relatively new owner of a spyder (Aug 2008) and with just a few postings on this forum I am struck by the number of members who make reference to "the other site". With no malice meant to Lamonster or the incredible work he has done with sypderlovers.com, which by the way I check on a daily basis and have learned so much from, could somebody explain to me why the "other site" to be a taboo saying. Without getting into specifics, was there "anything" that happened in the past between Lamonster and "the other guy" that has lead to such a feeling or is it just normal business competition?

Again I am not asking my question to belittle anything that Lamonster has done because in my opinion spyderlovers.com ranks right up there with the actual creation of the Sypder, but I ask only becasue I am somewhat naive to the whole thing and wondered why if the spyder family is such a close family why "the other site" is mentioned like it is taboo.

Lamonster if I have offended you in any way with this posting, that was not my intention and please feel free to remove it as you see fit.

Thanks.
    Good morning rleathen. I am active on this site, but I am also a moderator on SpyderTalk, so let me give you my perspective. I love Spyders, so I like to gather as much information from as many sources as I can. I was an early member of both locations. There are a number of us who hang out at both sites. I know Marc from SpyderTalk well and consider him a good friend. I have also been a guest at Lamont's home during last year's Gatlinburg Rally. As Lamont says, this is not a case of personal animosity between the two sites - just a matter of mutual respect.

By the way, I see from your signature that you live just down the 401 in the Big Smoke. Maybe we will have a chance to meet when ryding season starts again!

Cheers,

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I agree with all that those have posted before me in this thread. There's a lot of great information and people at SpyderTalk and I used to participate there also but I prefer "the vibe" at SpyderLovers.

love all the members here - they are so friendly, caring and always willing to share their abundant knowledge.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

I go over to SpyderTalk from time to time and I am a member there as well. But this is where I prefer to be for a lot of reasons.

Though I think a lot of Spyder riders have signed up at both sites I just like the way Lamont runs this site. Nothing against SpyderTalk at all. Just personal preference.

I like the fact that Lamont owns, rides (a lot) tears up and fixes his own Spyder. He tries just about everything that looks like it might work. If it works he tells people what he honestly thinks.

I like the way Lamont keeps this sight clean and the way all of you support him in that effort.

I like the way it feels like a team here, almost family. We may agree or argue a bit. But we are always friends first.
    Spyderlovers just feels like a better fit. Thanks for all you do Lamonster!

-Harry

Spyder Garage

i agree this one is best
    SPYDRRR

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I sure like this site and the way he runs it

Spyder Garage

As Lamont posted, it is more a matter of just being polite. You don't go in to a car dealership and tell all the customers about the dealership down the road. That is just in bad taste. Both sites are informative and as it has been mentioned, many people frequent both sites. For me it is just too time consuming to keep up on all the information in more than one place and so much of it is repeat. I choose to call this site home. For me it just seems a little more "family" like. But that is a personal opinion and choice.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Three words:

1. Civility;

2 & 3. Better information.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Bruce aka Director yes I am just east of Toronto in a town called Ajax (between Pickewring and Whitby). I got my 2008 SE5 from Bennet Power Sports in Whitby and use it primarily for transportation from home to where I work in Newmarket as a firefighter. I think I can count on two hands the number of spyders I have actually seen on the road in my parts. While I tend to use my spyder for commuting the appeal of the open road is starting to really grow on me so I am sure there will be a few road trips in order for the spring and summer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Angry

I also am a member of both forums. Over time I found that I was gravitating more toward this site because of the reasons mentioned in previous posts. BUT -I don't actively participate in the other because of a thread there that was dissing Lamonster - they even have a derogatory nickname for him!
    You don't have to agree with someone, but it's not cool to attack someone, especially someone who works as hard as he does to maintain this site, and help the members.

I just wish he would share his secret of how he fits 48 hours of activity into a 24 hour day!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSPSpyder View Post
    BUT -I don't actively participate in the other because of a thread there that was dissing Lamonster - they even have a derogatory nickname for him!
    You don't have to agree with someone, but it's not cool to attack someone, especially someone who works as hard as he does to maintain this site, and help the members.
    Sent you a PM. I have not been able to find the thread you are referring to. Please send me the link to it and I will deal with it.
    Thanks,
    Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Director,
    I have spent the last hour or so looking for the thread also, it must have been deleted, as should be, IMHO.
    to the "other site" Admin and Mods for doing so.
    Thanks for your timely response.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSPSpyder View Post
    Director,
    I have spent the last hour or so looking for the thread also, it must have been deleted, as should be, IMHO.
    to the "other site" Admin and Mods for doing so.
    Thanks for your timely response.
    Good to hear! It could not have been up long, as I never saw it. We don't need defamatory remarks on either site. As Rodney King said, "Why can't we all just get along?"

Cheers,

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)

Spyder Garage

lamonster is the only one I would call for info on my spyder he is the man and the site is like comeing home seeing what people have dune to there spyders and the wild paint jobs andmean looks they have dune to there spydersso lamonster keep us all inform on new things Don aka vt228 mass .........