Spyder Garage

Default My Life Occasionally Sucks!

Went to get the 12,000 + oil change and a new right headlight the other day. Going to be about $540.00. The hubby (Tobor 9) and I were waiting in the lounge area when the guy came from the back. Turns out my rear tire was bald and they were going to have replace it and new brake pads. Had about 12,500 miles on the tire. What started out at $540.00 ended up being $1024.00!! To really top things off Tuesday night I get on the bike to go to work and get the dreaded DESS!!!!! Took the hubby's bike to work that night. Bike has been working fine since then.
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

Default That does suck

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    Went to get the 12,000 + oil change and a new right headlight the other day. Going to be about $540.00. The hubby (Tobor 9) and I were waiting in the lounge area when the guy came from the back. Turns out my rear tire was bald and they were going to have replace it and new brake pads. Had about 12,500 miles on the tire. What started out at $540.00 ended up being $1024.00!! To really top things off Tuesday night I get on the bike to go to work and get the dreaded DESS!!!!! Took the hubby's bike to work that night. Bike has been working fine since then.

Cant argue that, what a bummer. However, better to have found it out on the lift instead of on the road.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I hate to ask this but, did you not know that your tire was worn???

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That sounds about right for mileage needing the rear tire and rear brakes but wow did they soak you on the price for that and for the service. Was it a headlight bulb? That's just really too much money for those services.

This was on a 2014 RT correct?

Check out the thread titled Maintenance Plan Cost?, in it an owner from England posted the pricing that his dealer gave him for an F3 and even in merry old England they don't get that much money for 12,000 mile service.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 12-20-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR BRAKES

I know everyone rides differently, but I had 16,000 + miles on my rear brakes ( 2014 RT ) when I checked them ( again ) because I was going to get it inspected.......I think I will get another 8 to 10,000 before they need to be re-placed........This has been mentioned here before by some pretty savvy people, and I agree, the brakes last a lot longer than people think......there is a line " cut " on the PAD , that as long as it's visible there is pad material left...so if you watch that line you can estimate how long you have left with a safety margin.....These are the OEM pads ......BAJARON's EBC pads may be different but you can tell if you buy those.........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Three wheels

certainly seems like it's proving itself to be more costly than four wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Things will get better...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Typical

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That sounds about right for mileage needing the rear tire and rear brakes but wow did they soak you on the price for that and for the service. Was it a headlight bulb? That's just really too much money for those services.

This was on a 2014 RT correct?

Check out the thread titled Maintenance Plan Cost?, in it an owner from England posted the pricing that his dealer gave him for an F3 and even in merry old England they don't get that much money for 12,000 mile service.
    Gosh
    Patrick
    Last edited by Pandy; 12-21-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

I have just over 21,000 miles on my original brake pads - but I'm almost ready to put my third rear tire on.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have a 2014 RTS, I had a head light go out, I called my dealer Central Florida Power Sports. the Service Mgr. asked if the bike was still under warranty I said yes, he said bring it in we will replace it under warranty. NOW THAT'S A DEALERSHIP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mods= luggage rack, rear trunk shelf & Mirror

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just changed the rear pads on my 2012 RT EBC's lasted 8,000 miles.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    That's Velocity Power Sports in a nutshell. But, if that's who you choose so be it.
    Patrick
    Pandy, Who else is there? unless we go to Columbia or Conway(never) I don't know any other dealers.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I have just over 21,000 miles on my original brake pads - but I'm almost ready to put my third rear tire on.
    Clearly you are all go and little stop !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I think everyone has a different definition or worn tire and used pad. There is the dealer definition, which is basically its been used at all lol, and then everyone else varies.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Your signature says you have a '14 RT Limited. Why are you at the dealer at 12,000 miles for anything other than the headlight (push for warranty replacement) and the tire that you should have been watching. Sounds to me like an explanation from the dealer is in order or you should be shopping for a new one -- dealer that is.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Your signature says you have a '14 RT Limited. Why are you at the dealer at 12,000 miles for anything other than the headlight (push for warranty replacement) and the tire that you should have been watching. Sounds to me like an explanation from the dealer is in order or you should be shopping for a new one -- dealer that is.
    On the 1330 the first service is at 3000 mls and the it is 9500mls of once a year.3000+9500=12500mls, thats why, also how is a headlight warrenty? it is a ware item,like tires and breaks etc.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com