Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Premier Edition - noob question

First post. . .

What is a "Premier Edition"?

I used the forum search but no avail (past experience tells me that search is my friend ).

I just was introduced to the Spyder at the Harrisburg PA auto show over the weekend.

I'm uniquely intrigued with this three-wheeler - I've walked with a couple of prosthetic legs for the past 45 years (50 yrs young now). Seems like a SE5 with a hand brake mod would have me cruising with the wind in my face. . .

Spyder Garage

welcome
    The Premiere Edition was the first 2500 Spyders. There's more to the story but that's the jest of it.

Hope you get your Spyder soon, you're going to love it.

Spyder Garage

welcome it is a great ride. Let us know when you are in the wind.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by diet_coke View Post
    The first 2500 (3900...) whatever, were numbered. When BRP finally stopped putting numbers on the handlebars that is when the Premier Edition ended.

Only real difference between a Premier and non-Premier is the number on the handlebars.

You're going to LOVE your Spyder! Get it while you can. When it warms up they may be hard to find again.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The first 2500 (3900...) Only real difference between a Premier and non-Premier is the number on the handlebars.
    ...and the model ID in the VIN#. Only Jay Leno's #1 really counts.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by diet_coke View Post
    First post. . .

I used the forum search but no avail (past experience tells me that search is my friend ).

I just was introduced to the Spyder at the Harrisburg PA auto show over the weekend.

I'm uniquely intrigued with this three-wheeler - I've walked with a couple of prosthetic legs for the past 45 years (50 yrs young now). Seems like a SE5 with a hand brake mod would have me cruising with the wind in my face. . .
    Here you go, the full explanation from a previous thread.
    Here is the actual letter of explanation from BRP's site regarding the Premier Edition Spyders
    This is the link to the page on their site http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Co...0-bdb6061c860a

SPYDER NEWS

Back to news page
    April 9, 2008, Spyder Announcements
    PREMIERE EDITION SPYDER CLARIFICATION - APRIL 9, 2008

With the recent flurry of comments online and particularly on Can-AmTalk.com, we wanted to address the issues raised in the last few days. With the launch of Spyder, we're very proud of what we have created, including the Premiere Edition program but we've also made some mistakes and we want to clear the air.
    We're just as excited about the open exchange of information as you are. We're very happy to see this level of exchange between Spyder owners and enthusiasts. Keep it coming! Even amid a few "conspiracy theories" out there, we actually enjoy reading the comments as the Spyder community grows!
    Regarding the Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters, we want to acknowledge that we made a mistake on the numbering sequence and we want to apologize. The information we provided two weeks ago was wrong and we are sorry.
    Now, let's set the record straight.
    When we first began taking Premiere Edition pre-orders in February of 2007, our goal was to create an exclusive club for the first 2,500 North American Spyder roadster owners. This remains true today.
    There are exactly 2,589 Premiere Edition Spyder owners in North America.
    From this, we created the 2.5K owners program and provided the 2.5K owners map. Yes, we rounded down to 2,500!
    We were pleasantly surprised to learn that some people actually took the time to count the names on the map and came up with 2,532! The difference with 2,589 is strictly a timing issue between the printing of the map and the actual final number in our system. Our intent was to promote the symbolic 2.5K number.
    Furthermore, the confusion resides in the numbering sequence and we apologize for this, but want to further explain exactly what has happened.
    As previously discussed on SpyderRyder.com, the two main reasons for the Premiere Edition Spyder sequence numbers exceeding #2,589 are the dealer demo units and the Try Spyder Tour units. In fact, I mentioned the final sequence number of Premiere Edition units should be at #3,306 in a recent Can-AmTalk forum. These 800 dealer/tour units were taken from the same sequence as the Premiere Edition vehicles to ensure that dealers and tour staff had display and demo units quickly for training and marketing purposes.
    I also want to bring it to your attention that we recently discovered a mistake with the Premiere Edition numbering sequence. Contrary to the information that we had received, it turns out that we did include approximately 550 international/overseas units in the production line sequence for Premiere Edition vehicles. The original intent was to start a new numbering sequence for international/overseas units. Unfortunately, this did not occur and we are sorry.

With the addition of the 550 international/overseas units and the 800 or so dealer demo and tour units, it puts the final sequence number of Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters at 3,856. We apologize for the confusion, but want to assure you, as our most valued Spyder customers, there are only 2,589 Premiere Edition Spyder first owners in North America.
    Again, we apologize for the confusion regarding the quantities of Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters.
    Please e-mail SpyderTeam@BRP.com with any questions – our goal is to keep you informed and be a resource for all of your Spyder questions.
    Sincerely,
    Marc R. Lacroix
    Can-Am Spyder Marketing Director
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ...and the model ID in the VIN#. Only Jay Leno's #1 really counts.
    -Scotty

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) 8LEGS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

welcome

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Here you go, the full explanation from a previous thread.
    Here is the actual letter of explanation from BRP's site regarding the Premier Edition Spyders
    This is the link to the page on their site http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Co...0-bdb6061c860a

SPYDER NEWS

Back to news page
    April 9, 2008, Spyder Announcements
    PREMIERE EDITION SPYDER CLARIFICATION - APRIL 9, 2008

With the recent flurry of comments online and particularly on Can-AmTalk.com, we wanted to address the issues raised in the last few days. With the launch of Spyder, we're very proud of what we have created, including the Premiere Edition program but we've also made some mistakes and we want to clear the air.
    We're just as excited about the open exchange of information as you are. We're very happy to see this level of exchange between Spyder owners and enthusiasts. Keep it coming! Even amid a few "conspiracy theories" out there, we actually enjoy reading the comments as the Spyder community grows!
    Regarding the Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters, we want to acknowledge that we made a mistake on the numbering sequence and we want to apologize. The information we provided two weeks ago was wrong and we are sorry.
    Now, let's set the record straight.
    When we first began taking Premiere Edition pre-orders in February of 2007, our goal was to create an exclusive club for the first 2,500 North American Spyder roadster owners. This remains true today.
    There are exactly 2,589 Premiere Edition Spyder owners in North America.
    From this, we created the 2.5K owners program and provided the 2.5K owners map. Yes, we rounded down to 2,500!
    We were pleasantly surprised to learn that some people actually took the time to count the names on the map and came up with 2,532! The difference with 2,589 is strictly a timing issue between the printing of the map and the actual final number in our system. Our intent was to promote the symbolic 2.5K number.
    Furthermore, the confusion resides in the numbering sequence and we apologize for this, but want to further explain exactly what has happened.
    As previously discussed on SpyderRyder.com, the two main reasons for the Premiere Edition Spyder sequence numbers exceeding #2,589 are the dealer demo units and the Try Spyder Tour units. In fact, I mentioned the final sequence number of Premiere Edition units should be at #3,306 in a recent Can-AmTalk forum. These 800 dealer/tour units were taken from the same sequence as the Premiere Edition vehicles to ensure that dealers and tour staff had display and demo units quickly for training and marketing purposes.
    I also want to bring it to your attention that we recently discovered a mistake with the Premiere Edition numbering sequence. Contrary to the information that we had received, it turns out that we did include approximately 550 international/overseas units in the production line sequence for Premiere Edition vehicles. The original intent was to start a new numbering sequence for international/overseas units. Unfortunately, this did not occur and we are sorry.

With the addition of the 550 international/overseas units and the 800 or so dealer demo and tour units, it puts the final sequence number of Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters at 3,856. We apologize for the confusion, but want to assure you, as our most valued Spyder customers, there are only 2,589 Premiere Edition Spyder first owners in North America.
    Again, we apologize for the confusion regarding the quantities of Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters.
    Please e-mail SpyderTeam@BRP.com with any questions – our goal is to keep you informed and be a resource for all of your Spyder questions.
    Sincerely,
    Marc R. Lacroix
    Can-Am Spyder Marketing Director
    welcomesomeday they should fess up to this blunder beacause I myself feel I got ripped off PE owner 3433 and to be honest it will be the last sale they get from me they have made no effort to do anything except this letter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    welcomesomeday they should fess up to this blunder beacause I myself feel I got ripped off PE owner 3433 and to be honest it will be the last sale they get from me they have made no effort to do anything except this letter
    I think the letter from BRP is all about acknowledging the fact that they made several mistakes. And I don't even get the sense that they are trying to make excuses. They just list the sequence of events that put us where we are.

Seems to me most companies with a problem like this would just ignore it and never give any accounting at all. I appreciate that BRP at least gave us a plausable explination.

From my experience BRP has a lot of stand-up people that are serious about their product and customer relations. I know there are owners that would take exception to this but it is meant as a broad statement.

I have no reason to doubt BRP's explination. Big business is difficult. If it wasn't, everyone would be doing it.

Buttom line is, for whatever reason, it is what it is.

How would you propose BRP "Fix" the Premier overrun issue now? I guess they could call up all the Premier owners with a number above 2500 and demand they peel off the Premier sticker on the handlebars and return it to the factory.

I'm just not sure how BRP could make you happy at this point.

I know everyone sees this differently but I don't think it is all that big a deal. Leno's #1 is a big deal, but after that...?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think the letter from BRP is all about acknowledging the fact that they made several mistakes. And I don't even get the sense that they are trying to make excuses. They just list the sequence of events that put us where we are.

Seems to me most companies with a problem like this would just ignore it and never give any accounting at all. I appreciate that BRP at least gave us a plausable explination.

From my experience BRP has a lot of stand-up people that are serious about their product and customer relations. I know there are owners that would take exception to this but it is meant as a broad statement.

I have no reason to doubt BRP's explination. Big business is difficult. If it wasn't, everyone would be doing it.

Buttom line is, for whatever reason, it is what it is.

How would you propose BRP "Fix" the Premier overrun issue now? I guess they could call up all the Premier owners with a number above 2500 and demand they peel off the Premier sticker on the handlebars and return it to the factory.

I'm just not sure how BRP could make you happy at this point.

I know everyone sees this differently but I don't think it is all that big a deal. Leno's #1 is a big deal, but after that...?
    Well if you were one of the ones to get a orignal contract from them it had nothing to do with 2500 in North America it had to do with units to be produced they should at least compensate with a certificate say 500.00 towards there goods just my 2 cents and they said they were gone to do something at Homecoming but never did

Spyder Garage

Welcome to SpyderLovers diet_coke, from the owner of Premier Edition #3783.

Spyder Garage

Well if you were one of the ones to get a orignal contract from them it had nothing to do with 2500 in North America it had to do with units to be produced they should at least compensate with a certificate say 500.00 towards there goods just my 2 cents and they said they were gone to do something at Homecoming but never did
    I would go for that $500 certificate.

signed ~ Premier Edition #3783

Spyder Garage

welcome diet_coke
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I would go for that $500 certificate.

signed ~ Premier Edition #3783
    Me 2 thats all I'm sayin mine was 5 days late so I could have recieved my deposit back but I knew I wanted it I have had several numbered H-D and when Harley said you were getting 28 of 100 you got it and when they said you were getting 230 of 650 thats what you got

Spyder Garage

welcome
    SPYDRRR

Spyder Garage

I did sign up with the 'Original' contract from BRP on the pre-buy (July 9, 2007). I'd have to pull that out to be sure but I don't remember it saying anything about 2500 units.

Still, it was well known and well advertised by BRP that the Premier numbering system would end at 2500.

I didn't know BRP promised anything in compensation to those who got a number higher than 2500. I went to the Homecoming in Canada and didn't hear it there either. Maybe I don't listen well...

I'm not making excuses for BRP. They messed up and that is a fact. What to do about it is where it gets sticky.

I heard from an annonymous source that BRP just has trouble with counting anything, Miles = Kilometers for example...

orangespydiegirl

PE #3531 that's mine! It's still a spyder and I'm lovin every minute I ride, numbers or not.

Spyder Garage

I did sign up with the 'Original' contract from BRP on the pre-buy (July 9, 2007). I'd have to pull that out to be sure but I don't remember it saying anything about 2500 units.

Still, it was well known and well advertised by BRP that the Premier numbering system would end at 2500.

I didn't know BRP promised anything in compensation to those who got a number higher than 2500. I went to the Homecoming in Canada and didn't hear it there either. Maybe I don't listen well...

I'm not making excuses for BRP. They messed up and that is a fact. What to do about it is where it gets sticky.

I heard from an annonymous source that BRP just has trouble with counting anything, Miles = Kilometers for example...

Yep, I believe all I was promised was that I would get one of the first Spyders sold in North America. That number turned out to be just under 2600 Spyders. I think at one time they either stated or at least implied that the number was supposed to be 2500. Turns out they let every Spyder ordered by a certain date (September of 2007?) be a Premier Edition. Where they really screwed up was to put a Premier edition number on every Spyder they built during the Premier Edition build. Some of those went overseas or were non-salable, demo units and they didn't ensure that all the lowest Premier Edition numbers went to paying customers in North America. That put the total up to around 3800 Spyders. No biggie but if they wanted to make Roaddog happy with a $500 gift certificate, I'll take one too.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

You see a "hot issue" button was pushed. That is one of the reason this forum is great. We sometimes have lively discussions--with lots of opinions.

I am the proud owner of RTS PE # 0474--including the embroidered seat.

Unfortunately it does not mean much in the scheme of things.

First & last are probably collectible--??? #666 might be fun also--then I could call it the "heck" spyder--or "spyder from heck"

Enjoy our forum, and let us know when you get your ride.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-25-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I actually thought my RT-S was a Premier Edition“. I thought my PE # stood for Premier Edition number 0004. Oh well. I still love riding my syder.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JAY LENO has number one damn man what doesnt he have. Im JEALOUS !!!! he also has a Y2K , which i want one day to . But I agree number #1 and the last PS numbered may be worth a little more . I dunno if I want number 666 , bad karma ?

arntufun

I have number 3494, and right now shes running great !!!

Only the haters say it doesn't matter that it's a PE.

I hope you do purchase a Spyder, it's a blast to ride.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I have number 3494, and right now shes running great !!!

Only the haters say it doesn't matter that it's a PE.

I hope you do purchase a Spyder, it's a blast to ride.
    Wow i just felt the earth shake.