Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Coming out of store, ready to leave, I step on trailer tongue and it bounces. I look under and the ball bolt was still there but only by one thread.
    At least mine was still on by several threads but it sure was loose when I found it while stopped at a rest area. This was the ball on my Spyder hitch while coming cross country on I-70. Don't remember what I used to tighten it up at the rest area and then borrowed a big ass crescent wrench from some construction guys near the hotel that evening. After I got home I drilled a hole through the stud of the ball and put a latch clip on it. Now if the nut does come loose at least it can't come all the way off.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I'm put many 1000's of miles trailering my Spyders using a strap thru the rim and NOT one single issue of any kind...
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

they are called "chocks"... :-)
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Just in case you want to do the eye nut (that is what I have been doing for years), it is available on amazon and other places. Here are the specs to search for: 10 mm (3/8") Metric Din 582 Eye Nut Stainless Steel

I have the SuperClamps as well, so I only use the eyes attached to short straps just as a "fail-safe" so they are not the primary thing holding the bike in place.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

True God looks over us and thanks for the tip

Spyder Garage

We used towels through the wheel spokes. Then the strap making sure it stays on the towel. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Not mine pictured, but I use the exact same thing......e track for both front wheels, heavy duty ratchet straps that connect directly to the e track, roller on the back side of the tire, ratchet device to pull the strap down. When done correctly, the strapping over the tire is in the shape of an upside down "C".

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    Not mine pictured, but I use the exact same thing......e track for both front wheels, heavy duty ratchet straps that connect directly to the e track, roller on the back side of the tire, ratchet device to pull the strap down. When done correctly, the strapping over the tire is in the shape of an upside down "C".
    I introduced this method here, many years ago ..... this is the method used by Professional Haulers of very expensive cars ..... those haulers do it this way because they are liable for any damage to the vehicles they move .... and this method guarantees NO damage to Any part of the vehicle being moved - Period ..... Thanks for the pic ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlby View Post
    Can't teach a new dog old tricks eh?

through the wheel works perfect
    0 stress on machine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    You are correct dlby. Never attach tie down straps to any suspension or cross tie the front rims. I probably have as much trailering both Spyder's and Motorcycles as any one on here due to physical limitations. Yep I have made as many mistakes (costly) as anyone also. Now if I could just remember all the things I have learned with all this experience ("I would be in like Flynn")!

Mike has a petty good system but I would cross tie the rear rim to keep it from walking to one side or another. I finally spent a little and bought SuperClamps. Wow what a great product! Drive it on, front wheels clamp down automatically and two small simple straps tied forward from onto e rail. Never have to do anything but bend at the waist twice. I have texted several pictures of my set up to members but not sure these are available except from the SupeClamp factory in B.C. CA NA DA I paid $380. Best money I ever spent.

Jack

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You are correct dlby. Never attach tie down straps to any suspension or cross tie the front rims. I probably have as much trailering both Spyder's and Motorcycles as any one on here due to physical limitations. Yep I have made as many mistakes (costly) as anyone also. Now if I could just remember all the things I have learned with all this experience ("I would be in like Flynn")!

Mike has a petty good system but I would cross tie the rear rim to keep it from walking to one side or another. I finally spent a little and bought SuperClamps. Wow what a great product! Drive it on, front wheels clamp down automatically and two small simple straps tied forward from onto e rail. Never have to do anything but bend at the waist twice. I have texted several pictures of my set up to members but not sure these are available except from the SupeClamp factory in B.C. CA NA DA I paid $380. Best money I ever spent.

Jack

Jack
    The Superclamps probably work fine maybe even Great .... however they are lot more than my $10.00 Rachet strap .................and a simple block of 2 x4 screwed to the floor will prevent any remote possibility of side creep ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Through the rims works for me, the only thing missing in the pics is the microcloth I use between the rim and the strap. I use shock straps on the SxS because of the amount of suspension travel and spring in the tires. I've hauled toys all across North America for the past 35 years, I don't like my stuff to move and I don't want any compromised suspension or steering components.

strap1.jpg

strap2.jpg

strap.jpg

trailer.jpg

toy hauler.jpg
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    Through the rims works for me, the only thing missing in the pics is the microcloth I use between the rim and the strap. I use shock straps on the SxS because of the amount of suspension travel and spring in the tires. I've hauled toys all across North America for the past 35 years, I don't like my stuff to move and I don't want any compromised suspension or steering components.

strap1.jpg

strap2.jpg

strap.jpg

trailer.jpg

toy hauler.jpg
    All the right stuff! Thats how I used to do it till I bought the SuperClamps.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I've been trailering for years with 3 different Spyders and nary a problem by strapping thru the tire rims to I-bolts located on the outside front of the floor of the trailer. I also have chocks bolted to the floor of the trailer for the front wheels and are located for even weight distribution also..
    BIG F