Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

right now i am exhausted. when i finely fell a sleep around 4 am, my mouth must of opened to breath. the humidifier on the machine is working, but the amount of dryness i had in my nose and mouth was unreal. SHOULD YOU FEEL THE AIR FLOW IN THE MASK??? the only time i feel any air flow is when i pull the mask away from my face a little.

i tried to stop breathing when i was awake just to see how the machine reacts. i didn't feel any air pushing on my face to force me to breath, is this normal???
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

John, a couple of points from a user of 10 years. First, you likely were prescribed the full face mask because (like me) your jaw relaxes when asleep and your mouth opens. A "nose pillow" is not gonna work for you as all of the air will escape out your mouth. If your full face mask is adjusted tight enough so no leaks, you will not even feel the air entering the mask but only hear your exhale. BE PATIENT, try to relax and not think about each breath! Close your eyes and play some slow relaxing music or calming sound (ocean waves, rain, etc.) to take your mind off of it. It took me 4 or 5 nights to adjust. I can't sleep without it now, it's my trusted relief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blickdave View Post
    John, a couple of points from a user of 10 years. First, you likely were prescribed the full face mask because (like me) your jaw relaxes when asleep and your mouth opens. A "nose pillow" is not gonna work for you as all of the air will escape out your mouth. If your full face mask is adjusted tight enough so no leaks, you will not even feel the air entering the mask but only hear your exhale. BE PATIENT, try to relax and not think about each breath! Close your eyes and play some slow relaxing music or calming sound (ocean waves, rain, etc.) to take your mind off of it. It took me 4 or 5 nights to adjust. I can't sleep without it now, it's my trusted relief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i am going to keep trying, but i find wearing the mask really annoying right now. we will see what happens
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Got mine in August courtesy of the VA. I used the nasal pillows but found they irritated my nose. Went to a nose mask, it made a difference. I also had problems with keeping it on (nose pillows and mask). My wife said I would rip it off during the night. I just had a follow up appointment last week. I'm now up to 83% use. I wake up around 5 a.m. and take the mask off, then go back to sleep. My apnea wasn't really bad to start with. But since the VA spent the time and money, I'll use it. Mine has a 'ramp' button that reduces the airflow when I first turn it on. It allows me to relax better as I don't have the full force all at once. You can get a chin strap that will hold your mouth shut. That prevents the dry mouth.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

i just ordered a larger mask on amazon, the one i have now fits over my nose and rests just below my lower lip and feels really uncomfortable. the report on the unit says i had 4.2 events per hour and i used the machine for 5 hrs. the mask i ordered now is a large full face one. i am using a medium now.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up CPAP

Hang in there my friend. You are not alone. I've had my CPAP for 5 yrs. Now I can't sleep without it.
    I have a Respironics machine w/humidifier. It goes everywhere with me. When camping I run the CPAP on a homemade battery pack that can charge, during the day, from the bike.
    It takes time to adjust to using the CPAP. I started with a Nose mask and moved to a ResMed full face mask.
    I never had a problem with the seal on my beard. I recently added a chin strap to help keep my mouth closed hence no dry mouth or throat.
    Cheers,

Spyder Garage

John, if you are having trouble with dry mouth, you might need to get a chin strap to help keep your mouth closed. I use one along with the mask.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was last night any better?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

woke up at 2 am and took the mask off and tossed it across the room. went back to sleep and slept better with out it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    woke up at 2 am and took the mask off and tossed it across the room. went back to sleep and slept better with out it
    Like I said, my masks took many a flight accost the room. Trust me, it will get easier. Hang in there my friend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hang in there!
    Hopefully, the new mask will help to sort all of this out for you.

Spyder Garage

i am getting the new larger mask tomorrow so i am hoping it helps more, my mouth gets very dry and the machine has a auto humidifier built into it, i am going to try and take it off auto and add some more humidity tonight to see if that helps.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't drown...
    Is waterboarding yourself: considered a violation of the Geneva Convention?

Spyder Garage

i have always had a hard time sleeping, so i went into this with a negative view to start with. i sleep in a recliner so i figured the face mask wouldn't bother me too much. well let me tell you i never figured the mask would bother me as much as it does. it has to be tight enough that no air escapes, but not tight enough to bother you that much.when i took the sleep apnea test, i took it at home because i refused to go and spend a night in a clinic with someone monitoring me. now that i have the machine, they wanted me to go to a clinic to see if the machine is set right and if it was helping me. well guess what, i refused that also. so i don't know if it is set right or that it is helping me.

so now it is hit and miss to get the settings right for me. i am the thick headed Italian that everyone has heard of but never met. so i have to do this my way or no way at all. now the new larger mask is coming tomorrow, i am hoping that helps with my mouth drying out and that it might be more comfortable for me. i know how i am and if i can't get this to help me i will stop using it. i once cut a cast off my left wrist because i wanted it off and the doctor told me it had to stay on. so i am a very bad patient for most doctors. oh well it's my problem, and either way i will overcome it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps some Duct Tape can be useful...

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have always had a hard time sleeping, so i went into this with a negative view to start with. i sleep in a recliner so i figured the face mask wouldn't bother me too much. well let me tell you i never figured the mask would bother me as much as it does. it has to be tight enough that no air escapes, but not tight enough to bother you that much.when i took the sleep apnea test, i took it at home because i refused to go and spend a night in a clinic with someone monitoring me. now that i have the machine, they wanted me to go to a clinic to see if the machine is set right and if it was helping meou . well guess what, i refused that also. so i don't know if it is set right or that it is helping me.

so now it is hit and miss to get the settings right for me. i am the thick headed Italian that everyone has heard of but never met. so i have to do this my way or no way at all. now the new larger mask is coming tomorrow, i am hoping that helps with my mouth drying out and that it might be more comfortable for me. i know how i am and if i can't get this to help me i will stop using it. i once cut a cast off my left wrist because i wanted it off and the doctor told me it had to stay on. so i am a very bad patient for most doctors. oh well it's my problem, and either way i will overcome it
    The humidifier will help. You might try a Nasal Mask. I use the Respironics Nuance Pro Gel mask. I got it on Amazon. It goes in your nasal passages. It forces you to breath through your nose(or at least you should) If you do this and keep your mouth close then you won't have dry mouth. It's a little less restrictive also. It will take getting used to just like the others. I can't sleep now without mine but it took awhile. Good Luck
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

They make chin slings to keep your mouth shut if using the nasal pillows.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Gets better

Once you figure it out, it will become a blessing. Be patient! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

i slept pretty good last night, only woke up 2 times. my question is how do you know it's working. if you wear the mask do you feel air pressure. when i put the mask on i don't feel like it is working. i breath normal and i don't feel any air pressure being pushed when i inhale. if i move the mask away from my face i feel air start to flow. i try on my own to stop breathing and don't feel the machine to start pressure to make me breath. how does it work to help you if you stop breathing.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    I don't use one of them, but if you're not turning blue and gasping for breath; it must be working.
    Seriously; is there a way to increase the rate of flow? You might not need it, but I can certainly understand the "comfort factor" of feeling some airflow...

I'm real glad to hear that you're making some progress with it! Keep it up!

Spyder Garage

Default Mask seal and air leakage

i slept pretty good last night, only woke up 2 times. my question is how do you know it's working. if you wear the mask do you feel air pressure. when i put the mask on i don't feel like it is working. i breath normal and i don't feel any air pressure being pushed when i inhale. if i move the mask away from my face i feel air start to flow. i try on my own to stop breathing and don't feel the machine to start pressure to make me breath. how does it work to help you if you stop breathing.
    If you hold your hand over the mask valve, you can feel some air escaping. This is normal and tells you you are getting pressure. I have the exact setup you have. I use a nasal mask. I get a sleep report every morning. So far doing great. This machine is much better than my old one. My "brain fog" is going away (sleep deprivation). I feel much better. Hang in there. It gets better.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

CPAP machine pressure is measured in cm of water column. For example, 10 cm ~= 4 inches. There is roughly 24" water column per 1 psi pressure, so 10 cm air pressure is about 0.15 psi, not very much! That's why it doesn't feel like there is much there, because there isn't! But it's enough to force your airway to stay open so air moves in and out of your lungs with ease.

The best way to tell if it's working is to look at your data. There are two programs you can use to graph the data from the machine, Resscan from Resmed, or Sleepyhead by one of the guys on cpaptalk.com. At a minimum look at the data on the machine screen each morning. If your AHI is less than 5, (actually any number well below your sleep test number) and your air leak less than 24, then the therapy is working. With the Resmed machines any leak above 24 brings the accuracy of the readings into doubt. My AHI during the sleep study was around 35. It runs below 1 most of the time with the CPAP, with my leak rates usually under 10.

Interestingly, one of the most common results of using CPAP is the reduced need to get up and go to the bathroom in the night. Something about low oxygen and high CO2 triggers a bladder response. With proper O2 levels that doesn't happen. I used to get up twice a night most every night. Now I seldom get up in the night, and usually that's from drinking coffee before bedtime!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage