Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Humming noise at any speed.

first time to post. I have a 2014 RTS spyder with 1600 miles on it. I'm 73 years old and getting over a open heart surgery. Can't bend down to work on the spyder, but after riding it for a while in the West Texas wind, I ordered a Bajaron Sway Bar, and a belt guard. Took it over to Midland Power Sport, where I bought the Spyder and had them install the sway bar and belt guard. Problem: Now there is a humming noise at any speed, wasn't there before. What do you'all think it is. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Easyrider24.=============== The sway bar made all the difference in the ride=============
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would guess that you need to take a look at the belt guard...
    Good luck; please let us know what you find!

Otherwise; try turning the radio up, and actually singing along!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT GUARD / NO CLEARANCE WITH REAR TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by easyrider24 View Post
    first time to post. I have a 2014 RTS spyder with 1600 miles on it. I'm 73 years old and getting over a open heart surgery. Can't bend down to work on the spyder, but after riding it for a while in the West Texas wind, I ordered a Bajaron Sway Bar, and a belt guard. Took it over to Midland Power Sport, where I bought the Spyder and had them install the sway bar and belt guard. Problem: Now there is a humming noise at any speed, wasn't there before. What do you'all think it is. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Easyrider24.=============== The sway bar made all the difference in the ride=============
    I HAVE THE SAME BELT GUARD, AND IT WORKS GREAT. However, when I replaced the rear Kenda tire with a new Kumho, I got the same hum at speed. Turns out the guard was rubbing on the wall of the new tire. The guard is a very thin, strong piece of plastic, but it can be bent out to clear the tire. I think that's your issue. Maybe the installer thought it was SUPPOSED to touch the tire. IT ISN'T.
    The belt guard is glued to the swing arm with a VERY strong industrial adhesive, so re-forming it is usually not an issue. However, don't try to relocate the whole device, as the cement cannot be pried loose without destroying the belt guard!
    Good luck,
    CapNCrunch : =)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heal quick and good luck with the issue.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapNCrunch View Post
    I HAVE THE SAME BELT GUARD, AND IT WORKS GREAT. However, when I replaced the rear Kenda tire with a new Kumho, I got the same hum at speed. Turns out the guard was rubbing on the wall of the new tire. The guard is a very thin, strong piece of plastic, but it can be bent out to clear the tire. I think that's your issue. Maybe the installer thought it was SUPPOSED to touch the tire. IT ISN'T.
    The belt guard is glued to the swing arm with a VERY strong industrial adhesive, so re-forming it is usually not an issue. However, don't try to relocate the whole device, as the cement cannot be pried loose without destroying the belt guard!
    Good luck,
    CapNCrunch : =)

The guard is very thin plastic, every time I try to bend it, it goes back and touches the tire. There is about 1 inch of play in the plastic. Took it to Midland Power Sports, and their old stand by remark, bring it back and we can take it off. you can not bend the plastic. Said they have removed 2 others from the spyder.
    Question? Will it hurt to keep riding the Spyder. Dumb question, I know,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remove it, and the Spyder will be good to go!
    If the guard is just touching the tire intermittently; you'll be fine riding it back to the Dealer too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

and on your new ride.

The previous posters have you covered.

therapy is good. I am thinking it takes off twenty years each and every time I get a chance to ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default humming noise???????????

Quote Originally Posted by easyrider24 View Post

The guard is very thin plastic, every time I try to bend it, it goes back and touches the tire. There is about 1 inch of play in the plastic. Took it to Midland Power Sports, and their old stand by remark, bring it back and we can take it off. you can not bend the plastic. Said they have removed 2 others from the spyder.
    Question? Will it hurt to keep riding the Spyder. Dumb question, I know,
    Ok, got home from Midland, raised the backend of the Spyder off the floor and bent the belt guard back away from the tire
    Haven't got to ride it yet, but will tomorrow. As some CapNCrunch said, .it may take a couple of tries to get it where I want it, but it will get there.
    I want to thank every one for their advise and input on my question---Well, so much for going to midland for advise , The shop tech and service manger, as well the sale man who sold me the RTS said that it did not come with a tool kit, But ,by golly it did.