Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

phhhhhhh that ain't Good....LOL
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the first time I've heard about the issue of fuel pump damage from running a tank to empty. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention or it just hadn't penetrated my gravity-fed carburetor brain yet!

I think I remember some scoffing at the idea of carrying spare fuel anywhere in the lower 48. I've personally experienced being stranded in Nevada on 3 different occasions, the first being my trusty old V-Star that did have the manual petcock.

Trying to estimate the remaining miles in a tank can be a bit tricky when battling headwinds, traffic jams, road construction and the like. Filling up at the 1/2 way mark isn't always an option. I've sweated it out but made it more times than I've run out, on bikes and in cages. I don't do it for the thrill of it, but sometimes it's a tossup what to do.

So far, I've not experienced any issues with any of the vehicles that I've run the tank dry on, even though I've kept them years and many miles afterward. I hate to think the subsequent owners had to pay the price of my mistakes.

Thank you for bringing this issue into the discussion!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-09-2022 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Retroactive admission of ignorance
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quick story..... I was riding my 2014 RTL leading a GL1800 and another Spyder RTL on a multi-week trip. I was a new Spyder owner and obviously not familiar with ALL it's functions. I knew we were getting low on fuel (the Spyders) but was confident we could make it to our destination. I kept watching for a fuel light but didn't ever see one. Pulled into a gas station (finally) and my friend riding the other Spyder asked if I was nuts.....? His fuel light had been on for many miles! It was then that I learned that the RTL fuel light was on the tachometer! I was watching the fuel gage for the light. Silly me! I should have known that BRP would put that warning light somewhere other than by the fuel gage..... Go figure. Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Peters' advice also applies to your 4 wheel cages also.
    Gas lubes and cools the in-tank fuel pump. E doesn't mean enough. Treat the 1/4 mark as empty and you will tremendously lessen any fuel pump issues in any fuel injected vehicle.
    Repair shops love E lighters, makes for steady work.
    I've taken many a FI fuel pump to 250k miles in vehicles on the OEM pumps.
    The days of gravity fed carburetors and switching to reserve are long gone.
    Last edited by cravenfun; 07-09-2022 at 10:00 AM.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    Peters' advice also applies to your 4 wheel cages also.
    Gas lubes and cools the in-tank fuel pump. E doesn't mean enough. Treat the 1/4 mark as empty and you will tremendously lessen any fuel pump issues in any fuel injected vehicle.
    Repair shops love E lighters, makes for steady work.
    I've taken many a FI fuel pump to 250k miles in vehicles on the OEM pumps.
    The days of gravity fed carburetors and switching to reserve are long gone.
    That's really good to know. I thank you and Peter for bringing that to my attention. I'll take that advice seriously from now on.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I had a Yamaha Raider, and that had a small sub-tank under the seat that held the fuel pump, when the fuel from the main tank ran out, then as this tiny tank was drawn down the low fuel light came on. Doing this was a sure way to shorten your fuel pump's life. I would never let any modern vehicle get to the point where the pump is is exposed to air and loose the cooling of being immersed in fuel