Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

let me make a couple of observations, both my own previously to purchase, and other riders in my circle of friends & acquaintences:

1) that the purchase price is insanely high...I'm ask how much does a new spyder cost...I own a Limited and when I answer that mine is the top of the line machine and it retails for $32k and real price is high $20's, they get glassy eyed and compare it to purchasing a top of the line Accord. But the accord doesn't need an extended warranty that is necessary to purchase for a Spyder at another $800-1000.

2) the reputation, especially on the 998cc when considering a used purchase, is unreliability and a prayers one can be found with an extended warranty attached. Everyone seems to know about grenaded clutches and engines.

3) Spyders are trikes...they think in the same vein as HD trikes and Goldwings with trike kits. The price of those are similar to a Spyder, but those are "geezer mobiles". And they are unsafe. Many base it on the reports of roll overs and deaths riding the Dragon on trikes. One has to point out and convince them the faster, renegade Spyder CAN NOT be tipped or rolled over, and it's a sporty machine that will make the driver feel young.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

All my riding friends, some of which I've been riding with for over 20 years, love my Spyder. I have never heard a negative comment made, other than in jest. Yeah, there're some hard core Harley riders who won't wave back, but that's only because they don't like anything that's not a Harley. Some of the Goldwing and BMW riders are a bit snooty, but that's just their nature.

I personally don't give a crap what anyone thinks. I ride what's best for me, and what gives me the most value for my money. That's why out of 5 motorcycles I've owned, I've never purchased a Harley.

Just ride and enjoy.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Some two wheelers feel threatened by the Spyder because they see it's obvious advantage. So I assume anyway, they fear the Spyder will 'Take Over'.
    2019 Rally , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Naysayers

Do not despair. Let the naysayers say what they will. Their time will come when they too will have to make the decision if they want sit on the porch and watch the riders go by or get a "tricycle" and continue to ride. I had that idenentical situation. I have been riding two wheelers since 1966 (1966 Honda Super 90). This past summer my FJR1300 sat in the garage in Nrew York. Due to some medical issues I can no longer push it around the garage with confidence. I was pretty bummed out. When we got to Florida for the winter I had an epiphany. I rode a friend's 2013 RT Ltd. Two days later I bought a 2015 RT.

Spyder Garage

Poser asks why I ride a Spyder, I ask him if he likes what he rides, when he answers, I tell him I like what I ride. Most of them can't come up with anything that continues the conversation.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Easy fix:

Move to Hawaii. We're all just bruddahs here. 2 wheels, 3 wheels, scooters, whatevas. It no mattah.

The Aloha Spirit lives and we all have a mutual respect for one another.

Lucky we live Hawaii!
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I am sure this has been covered by previous threads. But I am still trying to understand why some of the two wheel motorcycle community has such disdain for the Spyder and those who ride them. I follow the Spyder on Facebook, and it's clear that some of those who dislike the Spyder do so just for the sake of arguing. But other, it seems, truly do not understand that weather or not you have to ride a Spyder due to failing health, safety concerns or physical limitations, it is the CHOICE of the owner/operator to ride what he/she likes. And the comical comment such as "You're not a real biker if you ride one of those tricycles..", and the like, usually elicits a giggle from me when I click on the person's profile to reveal their hobbies, likes and image they share with the world.
    To each his own, I say. But I would not force what I feel is right or wrong on anyone.
    Look... this occurs no matter the vehicle. Drive a Ford, make fun of Chevy. Ride a motorcycle, make fun of a trike (and a Spyder IS as trike).

I own a Spyder, and a Harley. I ride other brands also, and fly airplanes. As a matter of fact, I ride/drive/fly all kinds of things built by all kinds of companies. It happens with each and every one of them from those who are not driving, riding or flying what you are at the time.

I hear Harley bashing on here constantly. So Spyder owners are not, as a whole, without guilt in these situations. Sorry, but they are not. I can easily pull posts by the dozens on here containing negative comments of other vehicles. I would find it humorous if it wasn't so sad in reality.

I am like you, I do not make comments like you describe, no matter what. I can only hope others would look at themselves and stop it if they do.

What someone "rides" is not what makes them a better person; it is their actions and words; and only their actions and words.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 12-02-2015 at 07:37 PM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the input, I really enjoyed reading the replies.
    I really don't mind who ride or drives what. If someone waves, I wave back. If someone flips me the bird, I laugh. I was lucky enough to score a second chance on life and there is no way what someone says about my GS, or any other Spyder, will ever wipe the perma-grin off my face.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default Fitting-In Unnecessary

I've never gone along with the crowd and never owned much less ever rode a Harley in my 45 years of owning and riding motorcycles. Fitting in has never been much of a deal to me. I haven't yet owned a Can Am Spyder but yet I am welcomed here. I have demo rode four of them, the last being a 2015 F3-S back in April. I decided at that time I wasn't quite ready to go to 3 wheels and purchased a new 2015 Indian Chieftain. It's is the nicest motorcycle I've owned so far and I've owned 17 bikes prior to this one. It's also the last two wheeled motorcycle I will ever own because of the aging process and it's effects on my legs and joints. I currently have my eye on the new 2016 F3 Limited and F3T and that Spyder will be on my bucket list and will be demoed as soon as my dealer gets one. Just enjoy what you ride and ignore the others as fitting in is completely unnecessary.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MY friend excuse of buying harley triglide instead of a spyder is he said he didn't like the paddle semi auto. He said he like the clutch more control and I said Spyder have clutch model too. He hugh hugh hugh quitely.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Illinois Boy;1067006]Look... this occurs no matter the vehicle. Drive a Ford, make fun of Chevy. Ride a motorcycle, make fun of a trike (and a Spyder IS as trike).

I own a Spyder, and a Harley. I ride other brands also, and fly airplanes. As a matter of fact, I ride/drive/fly all kinds of things built by all kinds of companies. It happens with each and every one of them from those who are not driving, riding or flying what you are at the time.

I hear Harley bashing on here constantly. So Spyder owners are not, as a whole, without guilt in these situations. Sorry, but they are not. I can easily pull posts by the dozens on here containing negative comments of other vehicles. I would find it humorous if it wasn't so sad in reality.

I am like you, I do not make comments like you describe, no matter what. I can only hope others would look at themselves and stop it if they do.

What someone "rides" is not what makes them a better person; it is their actions and words; and only their actions and words.[/QU

I have not heard any Harley bashers only comments one on one confrontations with Harley riders negative comments to other bike owners. Is that bashing?

Spyder Garage

Remember when cars came out with automatic transmissions? Who in the world in their right mind would ever drive one of those? I wonder if the 2 wheelers realize just how many 3 wheelers there are.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

..."You're not a real biker if you ride one of those tricycles.."...
    Aha! The perfect opening for this logical response: "Of course I'm not a real biker. The Spyder's a trike, so I'm a real triker!"
    Just say it with a friendly smile and let him carry on.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...I was lucky enough to score a second chance on life...
    Second chance!

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    ...I hear Harley bashing on here constantly. So Spyder owners are not, as a whole, without guilt in these situations. Sorry, but they are not. I can easily pull posts by the dozens on here containing negative comments of other vehicles. I would find it humorous if it wasn't so sad in reality.

What someone "rides" is not what makes them a better person; it is their actions and words; and only their actions and words.
    I'm really glad I read this thread. I could be one who's guilty of bashing rides, but I don't want to be. You've inspired me to resolve to never do that.
    Thank You both for that!

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Had my first negative comment a few weeks ago at a local rally - "Nice looking but wouldn't you prefer a proper bike". The guy was riding some sort of modern cruiser, was in pristine new 'biker' gear and I'd seen him wobble around feet-down in the car park 10 minutes earlier so replied before I could stop it "Nice jacket, did you get it when you got your licence?". Smile, frown, and off he went. PS: My jacket has clearly been around the block quite a few times.

Spyder Garage

I was out riding around, stopped by 3 harleys here in Mexico, they do the whole leather gear thing and everything, they looked at me, saw I was a woman (not that means anything) and after buying some ice cream I heard one of them say (so I could hear it) that he would buy 3 harleys before he would spend the money on one of those (pointing at my bike). I didn't say anything at all, and maybe I should have, but not being the conflictive type, but I thought to myself "you say that because you could not afford one Spyder....haha). He obviously had envy. I ride alone here because there are just not many others here, occasionally I get with other spyders....on a special trip.

jerpinoy, Mine is a standard RT, hope you friend likes his trike haha, I have to laugh when people ask me "your bike is automatic right" haha, I let them know it is just as Standard as any other Motorcycle....they have their bubble burst, and have a loss of words, I guess they think a woman can't ride a standard? Weird to me....
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

I chuckle when i see some guys in town in their "colors" riding their Harley's.. Like they are some big biker gang.. Let people judge me, what do i care! I LOVE my Spyder WAY more than any other 2 wheel bike I have owned. It is what I choose to ryde! If people on 2 wheels pass me and don't waive back...that is their hangup not mine. My girlfriend and I have had more fun riding the Spyder and we have made a lot of memories! that is what matters!!
    Jonny
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mr z View Post
    Remember when cars came out with automatic transmissions? Who in the world in their right mind would ever drive one of those? I wonder if the 2 wheelers realize just how many 3 wheelers there are.

I also wonder what horse carriage riders thought about the self-propelled carriage?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I rarely get negative comments. But I just figure most of the negative commenters are just posers. It's their problem, not mine. I'm (almost) 65...I doubt many of these so-called riders will still be riding when they hit that age.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I didn't buy my Spyder for others to enjoy, but for me to enjoy - and I refuse to let the opinion of an adult with the emotional maturity of a 16 year old bother me, one bit. Mature adults don't care what you ride - and the opinion of immature idiots doesn't matter.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

They just don't like old people who "whine" too much.
    Seems to me you are doing exactly on this site what you are blaming others of doing! Get over your diaper rash and ride more with people you like and who like you----or should I say people like you. Anyway, don't be so sensitive about what your riding be proud of it. In the 70's it was called do your own thing.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

1. I don't consider my Spyder to really be a "bike". A "trike", yes.

2. I've ridden for almost 50 years, and never considered myself a "biker", even when I owned a Harley. I was always a "motorcyclist".

3. The people the OP are complaining about probably just don't want those with something other than two wheels to include themselves in their group (after all, three wheelers weren't invited to join them).

4. Some people want to have an identity that's particular to something they have or an activity that they do, and don't want it to be diluted by others who do or have something similar, but not quite the same.

5. If we want to be included in the "biker" (two wheels) group, then we as "trikers" should allow quads (ATV) riders to be identified with us. And then if we do, then maybe the 6 wheelers (Polaris Ranger, Kawasaki Mules, John deere Gators) will want to be included also. It' just spirals outward, out of control, and becomes a source of irritation.

6. We ride because we enjoy it. Open air, great smells, different sensations, just good for the soul.

7.No need to argue or fight...no hard feelings....and no, I don't want to be a biker. I ride a Spyder...and that's good enough for me.

8. And no......no "bikers" allowed .

Spyder Garage

Originally, I was intending to get input as to why some feel the need to express their dislike for something, on a page dedicated to that particular thing. Can-am has a Spyder page on Facebook, which I follow, because I own ine. And it's an intrest of mine. Such as the numerous fishing related sites I also follow.
    What I couldn't wrap my head around was the need of some non-spyder owners to leave negative and hateful comments, which I do not see on,say, one of the fishing sites..no one saying "That 5 lb bass you caught sucks"
    I wanted to try and figure out why on earth if you don't like something would uou search out a group that does, and trash them. Low self esteem? Jealousy?
    But when certain individuals, who present themselves as representatives of a national orginization and then goes about using hateful speech, I wonder if those people are truly troubled individuals.
    I've always been an individual who prides myself on be me. I don't feel the need to point out faults in others. I live my life. My way. And i consider myself pretty accepting of the uniqueness of those I meet.
    Do what you like, and love what you do.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some folks just can't watch a Parade...

...without wanting to piss on it!

It's just that simple!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black