Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Why the dislike?

I am sure this has been covered by previous threads. But I am still trying to understand why some of the two wheel motorcycle community has such disdain for the Spyder and those who ride them. I follow the Spyder on Facebook, and it's clear that some of those who dislike the Spyder do so just for the sake of arguing. But other, it seems, truly do not understand that weather or not you have to ride a Spyder due to failing health, safety concerns or physical limitations, it is the CHOICE of the owner/operator to ride what he/she likes. And the comical comment such as "You're not a real biker if you ride one of those tricycles..", and the like, usually elicits a giggle from me when I click on the person's profile to reveal their hobbies, likes and image they share with the world.
    To each his own, I say. But I would not force what I feel is right or wrong on anyone.
    Last edited by Vader; 12-02-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you worry too much about what other folks are thinking...

...You're spending too much time looking in your rear-view mirrors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

yeah, those types worry more about portraying an image than anything else. go to a bike night at your local Harley dealership and just sit, and observe.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

another thing I don't understand and really don't care about either, is the fact that lifelong friends act differently towards you when you give up two wheels for three if it's not a conventional trike. not really friends at all are they.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    another thing I don't understand and really don't care about either, is the fact that lifelong friends act differently towards you when you give up two wheels for three if it's not a conventional trike. not really friends at all are they.
    True friends don't care what or if you ride.
    To heck with them.
    Ride away.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

Who cares!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post

My answer to the original question; because they are arrogant ass ho_es !

I too have had good friends that we use to ride 2 wheels together. I saw a big change when they got a Harley and got into the Harley culture. Leathers, grew beards, tatoos...the whole shabang. My Japanese bike was no longer any good. 3 wheels....forget it.

As said by others.....dont be concerned about it. They have something wrong inside their head...you dont.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Life is too short to give a about what others think of what one rides.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Some two wheelers feel threatened by the Spyder because they see it's obvious advantage. So I assume anyway, they fear the Spyder will 'Take Over'.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I am sure this has been covered by previous threads. But I am still trying to understand why some of the two wheel motorcycle community has such disdain for the Spyder and those who ride them. I follow the Spyder on Facebook, and it's clear that some of those who dislike the Spyder do so just for the sake of arguing. But other, it seems, truly do not understand that weather or not you have to ride a Spyder due to failing health, safety concerns or physical limitations, it is the CHOICE of the owner/operator to ride what he/she likes. And the comical comment such as "You're not a real biker if you ride one of those tricycles..", and the like, usually elicits a giggle from me when I click on the person's profile to reveal their hobbies, likes and image they share with the world.
    To each his own, I say. But I would not force what I feel is right or wrong on anyone.
    Most are posers in pirate costumes. Grain of salt, it really makes no difference, it is your ride. Enjoy...

Spyder Garage

let me make a couple of observations, both my own previously to purchase, and other riders in my circle of friends & acquaintences:

1) that the purchase price is insanely high...I'm ask how much does a new spyder cost...I own a Limited and when I answer that mine is the top of the line machine and it retails for $32k and real price is high $20's, they get glassy eyed and compare it to purchasing a top of the line Accord. But the accord doesn't need an extended warranty that is necessary to purchase for a Spyder at another $800-1000.

2) the reputation, especially on the 998cc when considering a used purchase, is unreliability and a prayers one can be found with an extended warranty attached. Everyone seems to know about grenaded clutches and engines.

3) Spyders are trikes...they think in the same vein as HD trikes and Goldwings with trike kits. The price of those are similar to a Spyder, but those are "geezer mobiles". And they are unsafe. Many base it on the reports of roll overs and deaths riding the Dragon on trikes. One has to point out and convince them the faster, renegade Spyder CAN NOT be tipped or rolled over, and it's a sporty machine that will make the driver feel young.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look... this occurs no matter the vehicle. Drive a Ford, make fun of Chevy. Ride a motorcycle, make fun of a trike (and a Spyder IS as trike).

I own a Spyder, and a Harley. I ride other brands also, and fly airplanes. As a matter of fact, I ride/drive/fly all kinds of things built by all kinds of companies. It happens with each and every one of them from those who are not driving, riding or flying what you are at the time.

I hear Harley bashing on here constantly. So Spyder owners are not, as a whole, without guilt in these situations. Sorry, but they are not. I can easily pull posts by the dozens on here containing negative comments of other vehicles. I would find it humorous if it wasn't so sad in reality.

I am like you, I do not make comments like you describe, no matter what. I can only hope others would look at themselves and stop it if they do.

What someone "rides" is not what makes them a better person; it is their actions and words; and only their actions and words.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 12-02-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Illinois Boy;1067006]Look... this occurs no matter the vehicle. Drive a Ford, make fun of Chevy. Ride a motorcycle, make fun of a trike (and a Spyder IS as trike).

I own a Spyder, and a Harley. I ride other brands also, and fly airplanes. As a matter of fact, I ride/drive/fly all kinds of things built by all kinds of companies. It happens with each and every one of them from those who are not driving, riding or flying what you are at the time.

I hear Harley bashing on here constantly. So Spyder owners are not, as a whole, without guilt in these situations. Sorry, but they are not. I can easily pull posts by the dozens on here containing negative comments of other vehicles. I would find it humorous if it wasn't so sad in reality.

I am like you, I do not make comments like you describe, no matter what. I can only hope others would look at themselves and stop it if they do.

What someone "rides" is not what makes them a better person; it is their actions and words; and only their actions and words.[/QU

I have not heard any Harley bashers only comments one on one confrontations with Harley riders negative comments to other bike owners. Is that bashing?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    ...I hear Harley bashing on here constantly. So Spyder owners are not, as a whole, without guilt in these situations. Sorry, but they are not. I can easily pull posts by the dozens on here containing negative comments of other vehicles. I would find it humorous if it wasn't so sad in reality.

What someone "rides" is not what makes them a better person; it is their actions and words; and only their actions and words.
    I'm really glad I read this thread. I could be one who's guilty of bashing rides, but I don't want to be. You've inspired me to resolve to never do that.
    Thank You both for that!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Had my first negative comment a few weeks ago at a local rally - "Nice looking but wouldn't you prefer a proper bike". The guy was riding some sort of modern cruiser, was in pristine new 'biker' gear and I'd seen him wobble around feet-down in the car park 10 minutes earlier so replied before I could stop it "Nice jacket, did you get it when you got your licence?". Smile, frown, and off he went. PS: My jacket has clearly been around the block quite a few times.

Spyder Garage

I was out riding around, stopped by 3 harleys here in Mexico, they do the whole leather gear thing and everything, they looked at me, saw I was a woman (not that means anything) and after buying some ice cream I heard one of them say (so I could hear it) that he would buy 3 harleys before he would spend the money on one of those (pointing at my bike). I didn't say anything at all, and maybe I should have, but not being the conflictive type, but I thought to myself "you say that because you could not afford one Spyder....haha). He obviously had envy. I ride alone here because there are just not many others here, occasionally I get with other spyders....on a special trip.

jerpinoy, Mine is a standard RT, hope you friend likes his trike haha, I have to laugh when people ask me "your bike is automatic right" haha, I let them know it is just as Standard as any other Motorcycle....they have their bubble burst, and have a loss of words, I guess they think a woman can't ride a standard? Weird to me....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

..."You're not a real biker if you ride one of those tricycles.."...
    Aha! The perfect opening for this logical response: "Of course I'm not a real biker. The Spyder's a trike, so I'm a real triker!"
    Just say it with a friendly smile and let him carry on.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl