Thread: My Conundrum

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My Conundrum

I ask all of you about leather or vinyl seat and thanks for all of your input!!

Now here is a new conundrum, I told my wife that I was ordering a Russell Day Long seat and she told me that she LOVED the factory limited seat and leave it alone!
    I am sure that the Russel Day Long would be better for her too, but do I save some money and let hers be, or should I just order hers done to and not tell her? You can see where that could backfire on me if she doesn't like the new one.

The next thing is I will need to have the whole seat and backrest recovered, will the passenger seat look the same if I leave it stock, or do they tweak it a little for easier recovering?

Last, have any of you had just the driver seat redone by Russell Day Long, and do you regret not getting the passenger seat redone at the same time?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If Momma ain't Happy; it can ruin your entire existence!

That's all that I have to say about this...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You are probably right thinking the new seat will be an improvement over the OEM. It always has been for me, and I have now done that on five out of five.

However................seats are a very personal thing. People either like or NOT. Could be an expensive mistake if your spouse is not on board.

Vote: Don't do it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-01-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Honey, I'm having the filet mignon, you? Oh I'll just have the hamburger. Done!

Pat

Spyder Garage

at first i was confused because i never used conundrum's, but i agree with bob, if she ain't happy you won't be happy
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    at first i was confused because i never used conundrum's, but i agree with bob, if she ain't happy you won't be happy
    Never???

Spyder Garage

To bad we can not meet up on the Spyders this time of the year otherwise we could have got together and your wife could have tried out mine to see if she likes it better.

Did that earlier this year with another couple and she must of liked it as they plan on ordering one this winter.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I would work out a way to have her try it on someone's before... Maybe yours? If I read right do yours and let her try to see what she thinks.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Only one Spyder, hers would be the back passenger seat. Either I get a single, just the drivers done, or I get a dual, both driver and passenger done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried that once: I got a sheepskin half-cover for the seat... MY half!

Let's just say that it didn't go over too well...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Never???
    well almost never.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

1) I can't see doing half a seat

1A) I can't see Pi**ing Momma off

2) See 1A

3) See 1A

Are you starting to see what we are saying??

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe's right...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I ask all of you about leather or vinyl seat and thanks for all of your input!!

Now here is a new conundrum, I told my wife that I was ordering a Russell Day Long seat and she told me that she LOVED the factory limited seat and leave it alone!
    I am sure that the Russel Day Long would be better for her too, but do I save some money and let hers be, or should I just order hers done to and not tell her? You can see where that could backfire on me if she doesn't like the new one.

The next thing is I will need to have the whole seat and backrest recovered, will the passenger seat look the same if I leave it stock, or do they tweak it a little for easier recovering?

Last, have any of you had just the driver seat redone by Russell Day Long, and do you regret not getting the passenger seat redone at the same time?
    Send me the money that is burning a hole in your pocket and keep your seat.
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Remember

The passenger seat and the driver seat are a single unit, the only part that belongs exclusively to the passenger is the back rest. You have heard from the married men in this group, and I agree with them. So, you could buy another stock seat. Send your current to RDL and have them work their magic on your existing seat. Don't use the the stock seat you order and install the RDL seat on the motorcycle. Take the lovely lady for a test drive........the odds are good that she will love the new seat. The send the stock seat you ordered back to wherever you bought. Gets a little more expensive if she doesn't like the RDL seat, and you will have to see if RDL will give you your money back. But Momma will be happy, and you will be eating and sleeping indoors!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I understand that it is a one seat and one seat pan. However, Russell will do what they call a solo seat, they only work their magic on one part but recover the whole thing.

I see where this is going, it's my decision, and whatever it is I MUST keep momma happy. Hmmmmmm sounds like a no win, hung if I do and maybe if I don't

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default You could do all the above or.....

I could send you one of my Gel Seat kits and
    you could install it your self and save big
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I will even send you some extra memory foam
    All for only $79.95
    go to www.motorcycledave.com and click on the
    how to install it
    you will not be sorry
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Has anyone installed Dave's GEL-Foam Seat Kit and if so how did it work for you?
    I've got to admit that his price grabbed my attention.

Spyder Garage

haven't followed the whole story, but have you considered an airhawk air pad...it's the same technology wheelchair bound patients sit on to prevent butt sores and bed ridden patients to prevent bed sores.

I've found the seat itself doesn't matter...any seat is merely a platform for the airpad. Been using one for 20 years and 200k miles of riding including iron butts. Many of my friends have Russels...but I've enjoyed equal or close lack of pain as they have.

and they have a buy it and try it and return it if unhappy policy.

just sharing my experience
    Last edited by PatriotRider; 12-10-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders