Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Just went from HJC to Shoei this last summer. Well worth the investment. Much less wind noise. Less fatigue inducement. This clearly a different class helmet. I purchased the photochrome visor and am still riding the fence about how I feel about it. But the helmet is A+. I also agree that if Shoei doesnt fit try Arai. They are a different head shape and still same quality. Revzilla.com has a very good helmet buying guide video on youtube or their website.

2015 RT-S
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Spyder Garage

I wear Shoei because they fit me so well (and HJC's absolutely do not) and because they're also Snell rated. And I can afford them. I buy the best helmet I can afford that fits me correctly.

35 years ago I was wearing a Simpson helmet that cost me $175. People thought I was crazy...until I survived being hit by a drunk driver and the only thing that saved my life was a very good helmet.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    35 years ago I was wearing a Simpson helmet that cost me $175. People thought I was crazy...until I survived being hit by a drunk driver and the only thing that saved my life was a very good helmet.
    35 years ago I was wearing a Simpson also. Not too many other folks were.

Getting back to "fitting" your head the key is to determine the shape of your head. Typically round, oval and intermediate oval. The second thing is to determine the size. If you have a round head and buy an oval shaped helmet you will have to buy a helmet too big for you to get it to fit. Historically Arai were ovals and Shoeis were round. That is not the case anymore. Revzilla does a good job of telling the shapes of the different helmets they carry.

Spyder Garage

Have tried several helmets and strongly prefer the Shoei and have both a J-Cruise and NeoTec. A previous modular saved my noggin in a low side and always feels comfortable. Find what fits best.
    SpyderWalter
    ATWALT*
    2014 RTS - SE6 Cognac (named Josephine).
    FOBO, ShowChrome top rack
    Spyder Cuff, Highway Pegs, LidLox, Passenger Drink Holder from LaMonster

Recently returned to Florida, looking for new roads...

Former: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Edition (#104)
    2016 Piaggio MP3 500 ABS/ASR
    2006 Suzuki Burgman 400

*All Three Wheels Alla Lovin' Time

Spyder Garage

I wear a Shoei multi-tech and my wife wears a Schuberth C3 Women. These are what fits us best and have low wind noise. You have to get what is best for you. We have tried lower cost helmets and they were fine, but they were noisy. On long drives a quiet helmet is essential because I hate wearing ear plugs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    Have tried several helmets and strongly prefer the Shoei and have both a J-Cruise and NeoTec.
    I used to never ride with an open face helmet. In 2010 I bought a BMW R1200GS and they had to order my Arai. I had an Impact (former owner of Sinpson) that I was "given" when I took the Advanced BMW Permormance Driving School so I wore it. I loved it so much. It is so much more open (duh) and of course lighter. That said I am considering getting a J-Cruise. This is a case where the Shoei is closer to intermediate oval the the offerings from Arai. What are your thoughts on it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Your clearly getting a better helmet with a Shoei. You aren't buying a dud either with an HJC.

I would go to Revzilla and looking around. You aren't going to find better info or any better deal than them. They are first class. In fact they are having significant deals right now on helmets and have one in particular on Shoei. http://www.revzilla.com/2015-holiday-gifts-and-guides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

One other note on Shoei. Sometimes a rider may find the cheek pads a little too tight. This happened to my wife with her Shoei. The cheek pads come standard in 35 mm however you can buy a 31 mm cheek pad if you are one of the few that feels it's too tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

A lot of people Poo poo about the Snell certification.
    One of those tests deal with the helmet NOT popping off during an accident and must have a "D" ring.
    All those quick release strapped helmets . . . can never meet Snell.

Speaking of "D" rings . . . Our local HOG chapter lost a member 2 months ago, when his helmet came off on the first bounce and he suffered massive head injuries on the second bounce.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I'm in the market for a new helmet. I found a Shoei and HJC with similar features. The Shoei is 3x more expensive than the HJC. I know I'm protecting my brain housing group and don't want to be a cheapskate on a helmet. But is the Shoei that much better than the HJC to justify the price?

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    I used to never ride with an open face helmet. In 2010 I bought a BMW R1200GS and they had to order my Arai. I had an Impact (former owner of Sinpson) that I was "given" when I took the Advanced BMW Permormance Driving School so I wore it. I loved it so much. It is so much more open (duh) and of course lighter. That said I am considering getting a J-Cruise. This is a case where the Shoei is closer to intermediate oval the the offerings from Arai. What are your thoughts on it.
    I have both the NeoTech and the J-Cruise. I got the J-Cruise because my beard had gotten too long for the full face and I wanted something more open and still safe. I trust the quality of Shoei and it is solid. I love the J-Cruise even after trimming my beard back. Great open feeling and good sight lines. Covers the entire face and I feel safer in it than other full face helmets I have. (I am lucky, enter contests and have actually won three helmets in recent years.)

One thing I do not like is the Can-Am Helmet I bought when I bought my Spyder. It is made by Givi who make nice cheap scooter accessories. The helmet is cheap and shaped wrong for my head. Next time I buy a Can-Am item I will be very careful.
    SpyderWalter
    ATWALT*
    2014 RTS - SE6 Cognac (named Josephine).
    FOBO, ShowChrome top rack
    Spyder Cuff, Highway Pegs, LidLox, Passenger Drink Holder from LaMonster

Recently returned to Florida, looking for new roads...

Former: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Edition (#104)
    2016 Piaggio MP3 500 ABS/ASR
    2006 Suzuki Burgman 400

*All Three Wheels Alla Lovin' Time

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    I have both the NeoTech and the J-Cruise. I got the J-Cruise because my beard had gotten too long for the full face and I wanted something more open and still safe. I trust the quality of Shoei and it is solid. I love the J-Cruise even after trimming my beard back. Great open feeling and good sight lines. Covers the entire face and I feel safer in it than other full face helmets I have. (I am lucky, enter contests and have actually won three helmets in recent years.)

One thing I do not like is the Can-Am Helmet I bought when I bought my Spyder. It is made by Givi who make nice cheap scooter accessories. The helmet is cheap and shaped wrong for my head. Next time I buy a Can-Am item I will be very careful.
    SpyderWalter
    Thanks for the info. The Can Am helmets are made by Nolan now which is not much better than Givi. I will not buy a helmet that does not have a Snell or equivalent rating. DOT means nothing in terms of real protection. In the 80's we had helmets for twenty bucks that were DOT approved with a casting line right down the middle. They split in half all the time.