Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Shoei vs HJC Helmets

I'm in the market for a new helmet. I found a Shoei and HJC with similar features. The Shoei is 3x more expensive than the HJC. I know I'm protecting my brain housing group and don't want to be a cheapskate on a helmet. But is the Shoei that much better than the HJC to justify the price?

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I ride with an HJC helmet because it fits me the best. I survived totaling a Spyder against the side of a trailer truck (his fault) with no injury with the HJC, but in contrast my friend who owns a motorcycle racing team says he only uses Shoei for his riders (of course they exceed 165 mph)
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

All DOT approved.

go with what you like

Spyder Garage

Interestingly, the Shoei is probably more expensive if it's lighter - made of carbon fiber or fiberglass, and probably SNELL approved.

All my research on the subject of DOT only vs SNELL approved helmets steers me away from SNELL. Those are made to pass a double impact test to the same spot with a steel bar which means it is a "harder" helmet which will pass more G's at lesser impacts.

DOT only helmets are "softer" and better at those "hit your head" falling off a bike from 5 feet to concrete. SNELL are best at high speeds like in racing activities. I figure an accident on the interstate is going to kill me (or worse, I'm quadriplegic) regardless of helmet. I'm much more worried about the 30mph low side caused by gravel in a corner.

The cheaper HJC's are polycarbonate plastic which means they generally have more "bounce" and flex upon an impact. Fiberglass is probably the next step up from plastic in a helmet. And the ultra light helmets are carbon fiber.

My head shape favors HJC and I'm currently saving up for a SYS Max II in Hi Viz, a $300 modular/flip helmet with fighter pilot sun shade.
    Last edited by PatriotRider; 11-29-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

I've found that HJC helmets fit my melon pretty well. My current helmet is a Bell. I would say the two fit very similarly, for me anyway. I'm not a believer in paying more for a helmet just for a name. It's all about the correct fit for me. I want a helmet that I can wear all day, and for me, HJC and Bell fit the bill. It's all in the shape of your melon.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Build quality on SHoei helmets is high,

Prices on HJC helmets are reasonable.

Ultimately, the best helmet for you is the one that you wear every time you ride.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Shoei have always been expensive! They are supposed to be quieter than most. The Snell test has always bothered me, punching a shaft through the center of the helmet is a strange test. In my forty plus years of riding motocross, trails, sidecars and solos most of my touchdowns have been sliding impacts and only one face plant which was on an icy bridge. Fiberglass helmets tend to delaminate where as poly tends to grind away either way you should replace it after a prang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep, fit first. An $800 helmet is no good if it's uncomfortable. I wear an HJC modular IS-Max 2 in 3x for my big round head.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-29-2015 at 08:36 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I own Shoei and scorpion helmets. IMO and experience the price of the Shoei did not make it a better helmet because it is not as comfortable as the scorpion and the wind noise is greater.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Yep, fit first. An $800 helmet is no good if it's uncomfortable. I wear an HJC modular IS-Max 2 in 3x for my big round head.

I use the same HJC, I really like mine a lot.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I have both Shoei and HJC helmets. The Shoei is quieter than the HJC, it's built nice,
    but the HJC fits me better and is more comfortable. So the HJC is the one I wear 95% of the time.

Spyder Garage

Wife and I both have Shoie Neotec's. Expensive? Yes! But they fit well. You need to figure out what shape your head is. Then look to see who makes that shape. Some make both shapes, but in different models. Get one that fits well, and you will wear it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Itried an HJC modular at th dealership when buying my Spyder and it was an instant migraine in my size. The Shoei Neotec in same size was the comfort choice, hands down. It's got to be comfortable on the coconut or it isn't worth a dime IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have HJCs. One modular and one full face.. They are nice helmets and fit us fine..

Spyder Garage

I currently have the Shoei GT-Air this time but have had all sorts of makes in the past including Bell, FFM, HJC. I went for the Shoei this time because it was very quiet and I'd had buzzing in my ears after long journey's with my previous helmet (a HJC).

Firstly whatever helmet you choose make sure it has EQRS (Emergency Quick Release System). This is normally indicated by red markers/tabs on the bottom padding of the helmet and in the event of an accident allows emergency responders etc to remove part of the helmet padding, decreasing the chance of neck/spine damage when they remove the helmet. A mate who's a paramedic really rates this innovation and told me to make sure I got a helmet with it but not too many helmets do, even the expensive ones.

The recommendation used to be that polycarbonate plastic helmets should replaced every 2 years, while fibreglass had a far longer life span as they are not affected by sunlight etc in the same way. I just checked and my Shoei for example is guaranteed for 5 years. This does mean if you do keep your helmet for it's lifespan it may cost you a similar amount over all - at the same time if your going to replace it every two years anyway then why bother with an expensive fibreglass one.

I've personally found with my cheaper helmets, the FFM's and HJC, that the padding was pretty munted after 2 years anyway and the helmet had started to have pressure points and a looseness in the fit. My current Shoei is about 12 months old so it's too early to say how it will last but so far it's fine.

To be honest your best starting point if you haven't found it already is this site as their info on helmet fit, head shapes etc is fantastic:
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDoc View Post
    I have both Shoei and HJC helmets. The Shoei is quieter than the HJC, it's built nice,
    but the HJC fits me better and is more comfortable. So the HJC is the one I wear 95% of the time.
    I too have both and it is all a matter of fit, comfort and personal prefence. I find the Shoei to fit and be more comfortable because the HJC is narrower, the shoei is rounder and fits my head shape better, the Shoei even though it weighs a little more seems less stressful after a long ride and the ventilation is better than the HJC. The HJC is not really uncomfortable but I prefer the Shoei. Is it worth the extra cost, who knows, but if you can afford it why not. I suggest you go to a dealer and try them both on and wear them around the dealer for at least 30 minutes each before you make up your mind. BTW I also have Scorpion and find it very uncomfortable because it is really narrow and it tends to feel like my head is being squeezed.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fit First

Pick the helmet that's fits you the best, and you have made the right choice!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Good, better, best...

I have had and sold a lot of helmets. Sadly a lot of the fame acredited to a brand is from who is paid/chooses to wear them. All known brands offer good protection under normal ryding conditions. Good fit and comfort is number one then you can dabble with the added attractions like color who or what is painted on it etc. Currently we ryde with the HJC modular and they work fine....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

I was involved in a major accident this Spring. Fortunately, I was wearing a Shoei helmet. I hit the concrete at a speed of 65 MPH and had no head injuries other than my head being cut by my sunglasses that had ridden up the inside of my helmet from the collision. I don't ride any more, but if I did, I would buy the top of the line Shoei. Don't try to save money when it comes to safety.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HJC has always fitted me the best

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I'm in the market for a new helmet. I found a Shoei and HJC with similar features. The Shoei is 3x more expensive than the HJC. I know I'm protecting my brain housing group and don't want to be a cheapskate on a helmet. But is the Shoei that much better than the HJC to justify the price?

Open to suggestions.

Thanks
    I've been riding for over 45 years, and tried a Shoei way back when, but it was always too tight, and really uncomfortable. Have been wearing HJC ever since, changing out every 3 or 4 years. They fit my oval ( long )shaped head perfectly. I had a 'low side" wreck about 7 years ago. Hit a deer at 75 MPH, and dropped the bike, of course. My head and my HJC survived pretty well, but the bike was totaled. I'll stick with HJC.
    CapNCrunch : =)

Spyder Garage

Default HJC

I have two HJC helmets, one 3/4 open face and a Modular, they fit great and look good, In the fourty plus years I've been riding I've had several HJC helmets, that's what I'll keep on using..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Shoei makes an excellent helmet. The quality is better than the HJC but HJC is also a very good helmet. Especially for the money. Protection wise, you'll probably get comparable safety between the 2 helmets. I've purchased and worn a number of HJC helmets and they have held up well.

Here are my suggestions.

Bang for the buck, the HJC is a better buy. But if you are hard on a helmet and you want to keep the helmet as long as it is serviceable then I would go with the Shoei. It will take more abuse and is a quality build.

If you want a very good helmet for a reasonable price, you take good care of your helmet (not hard on it) and you don't think you'll want to wear it for more than 3 or 4 years then go with the HJC.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-30-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

And on the other side of the spectrum,I have had two major accidents at hwy speeds, one in a KBC (Korean Bell) and one in an HJC SYMax II. In both cases the helmets did what they were supposed to do. The helmets of course were toast which in the case of the KBC really made me mad. It was the cheapest helmet I ever bought,under $100.00 and the most comfortable. I did need to wear ear plugs with it though. Find what fits you the best,what feels comfortable,that is the helmet you want. Name or price doesn't matter,they are all pretty much DOT approved.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have hit my head on the ground twice at over 100mph. The very last place I am going to skimp is on my helmet. If the Shoei doesn't fit try an Arai. HJC makes a nice product but is not in the same league. For me those are the only two choices.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Arai on your head in that Avatar of yours!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.