Thread: 2 hour Farkle

Spyder Garage

Default 2 hour Farkle

Decided to add my only farkle to the bike this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops

About a hour ago decided to check out Spyderpops website and I am sure I saw a similar accessory to the one you have fitted on their website. Fantastic looking accessory you have just fitted
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    About a hour ago decided to check out Spyderpops website and I am sure I saw a similar accessory to the one you have fitted on their website. Fantastic looking accessory you have just fitted

Is this a Brake or turn signal light?

Some differences between his and Spyderpops (Spyderpops are Turn Signals/Emergency Blinkers)

1) Spyderpops goes on top Because: A) it will not collect water. B) The LED's are pointed out, not up (or) down, which prevents the light from reflecting in the mirror and obscuring your view. C) Spyderpops are Amber as opposed to red. D) Spyderpops are longer.

This is not meant to be critical, just pointing out some differences

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 11-29-2015 at 04:32 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Differences

Cruzr Joe thanks for that info. Its great to know the differences and compare the item to similar items before I commit to buying
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

looks to be red leds. If wired to the turn signal it will be operational to turn signal and four way. Amber would have been better seeing as they are visable from behind and red is not the turnsignal color most commonly used. But as a signal to the driver it's great to let you know whats on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

After looking at many different signal lights it appered to me that the color between red and yellow is about 50/50 as for reflecting up, down, sidways, T tried it in all positions and liked this the best, as for water intrusion , water gets inside the mirrior no matter what, the thing to do is make sure you heat shrink all conections as any conection should be, I did this install on my 2013 and on my wifes also and now on my 2014, both of the last installs have had ample oppertunity to fail and have not, I just like to do some of these things myself and save the money for fuel to ride. Or for some of that great Pork Belly they sell at Costco.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    After looking at many different signal lights it appered to me that the color between red and yellow is about 50/50 as for reflecting up, down, sidways, T tried it in all positions and liked this the best, as for water intrusion , water gets inside the mirrior no matter what, the thing to do is make sure you heat shrink all conections as any conection should be, I did this install on my 2013 and on my wifes also and now on my 2014, both of the last installs have had ample oppertunity to fail and have not, I just like to do some of these things myself and save the money for fuel to ride. Or for some of that great Pork Belly they sell at Costco.

I too make some of my own mods, like i said, i was only pointing out the difference, not judging one way or the other, if everybody did it the same it would not be "our own" Spyder, good luck.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much "Fun" was it; fishing the wiring out from the housing?
    On the first mirror that I did; it was only a fifteen minutes struggle...
    But the OTHER side... took over an hour!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

That's cause you were fishing without a license.

Anonymous
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 11-30-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2 hour Farkle

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

It only took 2 hours start to finish , fishing the wires out only takes about 2 minutes , the striping of the wires and soldering takes the longest as I dont cut the factory wires just strip a small section then solder on the splice, then shrink tube, fun stuff for old eyes, total cost was about $12.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

It only took 2 hours start to finish , fishing the wires out only takes about 2 minutes , the striping of the wires and soldering takes the longest as I dont cut the factory wires just strip a small section then solder on the splice, then shrink tube, fun stuff for old eyes, total cost was about $12.

Try using posi-taps no wire cutting, no soldering. (Google Posi-taps for more info)

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Try using posi-taps no wire cutting, no soldering. (Google Posi-taps for more info)

Cruzr Joe
    Tried them once on a trailer Joe, I just like the no-fail connection of a soldered splice, the little tiny barb on a posi-tap does not give me a warm and fuzzy.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    That's cause you were fishing without a license.

Anonymous
    When I do that; it normally involves a fair amount of nightfall, and some dynamite!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Besides the....

Besides these being a less expensive way to go....I really like how they light up the back of the housing as well as being seen from the front.
    I have the TricLed version of this Mod in amber, which I like, but after seeing how those are glow, I might have to add some more!
    Nice Job!
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you don't mind me asking, how do you fish the wires through? Did you separate the front and back housing as I saw on another post, or just fish the wires through somehow?
    I removed my mirrors last night to add some LED's but thought I would hold off untill I asked what was the best way to do it.

Thanks
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how do you fish the wires through? Did you separate the front and back housing as I saw on another post, or just fish the wires through somehow?
    I removed my mirrors last night to add some LED's but thought I would hold off untill I asked what was the best way to do it.

Thanks
    You do not have to take the mirror apart, just drill a small hole in the thin plastic web to allow the wires to not get pinched. I will see if there is a video out there to assist you, if i find it i will post a link or maybe someone else can post a link, it is fairly simple.

Cruzr joe

Spyder Garage

Where did you get them?
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    Where did you get them?
    I got them at Auto Zone
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Nice job! And you did it without taking the housings apart.

I installed the AutoZone ones also. Put mine on the vertical side edges reflecting out. But I took my housings apart to do it, which was a BAD mistake.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I got them at Auto Zone
    Thanks
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default fishing the wires through

[QUOTE=Fatcycledaddy;1087280]If you don't mind me asking, how do you fish the wires through? Did you separate the front and back housing as I saw on another post, or just fish the wires through somehow?

Fatz:
    Not my original idea, but some other brilliant DIY-er suggested using a length of dental floss as a leader tied to your wire; then sucking it through the hole the original wire passes through using a shop vac. Amazing how neat this can work when you hold your mouth right.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD