Spyder Garage

Default Starting point for tire pressure

Getting ready to put spyder away in hibernation and noticed some center wear on rear tire. So I want to drop pressure in spring. I have a two part question, what do most people inflate tires to prior to winter storage and secondly what pressure do you run in summer. After reading the posts that I did, it seems 20psi is a good starting point, which is 4 psi lower than what came from factory and might explain the center wear im seeing. Also, do you typically adjust tire pressure routinely when carrying a passenger?

Thanks as always
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Some folks add extra air before hibernation and then air-down to riding pressure
    at the start of the season.
    Since we can only ASSUME you are on an RT (your post doesn't really say) I can state with
    some assurance that air pressure won't do DIDDLY to your center wear issue on back tire.
    No belts in tire equals no center support, and centrifugal force throws middle of tread outward,,blah blah....
    add in the rear tire always running in the "unused" portion of your lane, where the road is most coarse.....
    Anyway, you will quickly see why so many people opt for automotive tire, especially in the back.

I guess you could try accelerating at a snails pace to slow tire wear, and isn't that why we all bought a Spyder.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I inflate the rear "shoe" to 35 psi for storage.
    I currently am using 24 psi during the riding Season... (A Kumho tire is on the rear)
    and Center tread sections wear out quickly, due to the design of the tire...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Some folks add extra air before hibernation and then air-down to riding pressure
    Since we can only ASSUME you are on an RT (your post doesn't really say) I can state with
    some assurance that air pressure won't do DIDDLY to your center wear issue on back tire.
    No belts in tire equals no center support, and centrifugal force throws middle of tread outward,,blah blah....
    add in the rear tire always running in the "unused" portion of your lane, where the road is most coarse.....
    Anyway, you will quickly see why so many people opt for automotive tire, especially in the back.

I guess you could try accelerating at a snails pace to slow tire wear, and isn't that why we all bought a Spyder.
    ....With everything He said above......my next rear tire will probably be a General Altimax RT 43 size 215/60-15....this fits perfectly, and according to my research has the best performance numbers in this size.......Mike

Spyder Garage

For summer riding tho a ways away you will want to start with the factory recommended pressure when cold. Ride your Spyder enough to warm up the tire and check the pressure. If it grew more then 10% you need more air. If it didn't grow 10% you have too much air.Adjust until you get 10% growth always starting with a cold tire. This way you will have a pressure that matches you,your bike,the weight you carry, and your riding style. Is it a PIA the 1st time,especially on the rear of an RT,you bet it is. But once done you have it,at least until you change tire type/brand. And it is worth it.Your machine will handle better give you a better ride and you will get the most mileage out of your tire.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

TIRES!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Can't help here, Spyder never goes into hibernation.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Like Joe, my Spyder goes year round so I cant help on hibernation pressures. I've never heard of Paul's 10% approach but it sounds very reasonable. I agree 100% with him on starting with the manufacturer's recommended pressures, find them in your owner's manual or on the tire spec sticker under the seat. You just have to play with them until you get the pressure that gives YOU the best ride.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that it's true...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Figured out signature

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post

Thanks for the info, and sorry about the lack of detail on the bike model. I just went through and figured out how to add that info in with my signature so that won't be an issue again.

So I learned something new today..........
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Smile Tire Madness

My new Kuhmo was delivered to my door yesterday, bought on eBay shipped from Discount Tire for $81 free shipping, would you believe? No interrogation or squabbles from Discount tire this time. I guess once eBay takes your Credit Card, its a done deal, and they take the responsibility. I just like the handling, as well as the looks of the Kuhmo and keeping the OEM size. Squeezing another thousand miles out of a new tire I don't have any personal experience with isn't worth the gamble to me, against having good experience with the Kuhmo if survivng the Discount Tire interrogation and Water Boarding!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....With everything He said above......my next rear tire will probably be a General Altimax RT 43 size 215/60-15....this fits perfectly, and according to my research has the best performance numbers in this size.......Mike
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Blasphemy Putting bike down for the season

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Thanks for the info, and sorry about the lack of detail on the bike model. I just went through and figured out how to add that info in with my signature so that won't be an issue again.

So I learned something new today..........
    And you even got the Map also!

Here's to lots of fun, while you're filling it in!