Spyder Garage

Default Vent Question and Tri axis handlebar Question.

I bought a Black 2014 RT S Demo early this year. So far a great bike. Added a CB and a comfort seat with backrest with heat

I do have 3 questions.

Baker air wings or the Can Am side adjustable vents?

Having problems with the tri axis handlebars loosening this will be the 2nd time. the dealership replaced the full kit the 1st time. Any one else having problems with the tri axis bar loosening?

Am I able to change the angle on the O. E. backrest?

Thanks for your help!

John

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsbike View Post
    Having problems with the tri axis handlebars loosening this will be the 2nd time. the dealership replaced the full kit the 1st time. Any one else having problems with the tri axis bar loosening.
    Loosening, which way? Back and forth adjustment, or up/down adjustment?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Loosening Tri Axis

1st time was the right side bar up and down. this time it is the center knuckle up and down. Not much yet but any play in the handle bars is too much for me.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1st time was the right side bar up and down. this time it is the center knuckle up and down. Not much yet but any play in the handle bars is too much for me.
    There are 4 screws that hold the main center piece on the mounting plate on the top end of the steering shaft. I don't think they're getting them tight enough. Are the two top screws tight? The ones you loosen to move the handlebars back and forth.

Does the handlebar center piece move up and down on the lower center up/down adjusting screw? The adjusting screw has two jamb nuts that should be snug, not tight, against the bottom side of the center piece. That keeps the adjusting screw snug but allows you to turn it to raise & lower the handlebar.

Did the dealer give you the installation instruction book for the Tri-Axis? He should have.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 11-26-2015 at 09:36 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My TriAxis has been perfect but I only have about 1K miles on it. I've adjusted it several times and it has stayed tight every time.
    Hope you are able to get yours sorted out as I agree any wiggle in your handlebars would be bad.
    Good luck!
    Thump

Spyder Garage

We do not have Tri Axis bars, though they are cool.

Finless Bob posted a video of his that had come loose. It was a bit ago, but should be easy to find.

Want to say his were loose and sweeping front to back while he rode.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Tri-Axis Handlebars

Had them put on in Nov 2014 when I bought my Spyder; 6800 miles and no issues
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Baker Air Wings, of course!

I bought a Black 2014 RT S Demo early this year. So far a great bike. Added a CB and a comfort seat with backrest with heat

I do have a question.

Baker air wings or the Can Am side adjustable vents?

Thanks for your help!

John
    Baker Air Wings... Both my wife and I have them on our bikes. They work great in all kinds of weather and look good, too. That will be money well spent.
    Last edited by Copperman; 11-27-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Having problems with the tri axis handlebars loosening this will be the 2nd time. the dealership replaced the full kit the 1st time. Any one else having problems with the tri axis bar loosening?
    No problems with mine in 11.4K miles. Have made two small adjustments since bringing it home. The tool gives the ability to put lots of torque on the bolts -- JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Baker Air Wings... Both my wife and I have them on our bikes. They work great in all kinds of weather. That will be money well spent.
    "Each to their own notion", said the old woman as she kissed the cow.
    I prefer BRP's adjustable deflectors. It's a "cleaner" look on the bike.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

yudydude

Default Tri Axis

I have the OE Backrest and it is not adjustable. I have heard that BRP is coming out with one that is adj. Don't know if we can change a part on the existing one to make it adj. or not. Will have to wait and see.

Spyder Garage

My experience (like in the video) is you should check these adjustment bolts from time to time.
    After my first experience it is clear they can come loose.
    I tightened them up much more than I did the first time and so far they have not come loose again.
    However, I do check them about every 4th gas tank when I check the oil level. Just make it a habit.

Remember these are adjustment bolts thus are not torqued to any spec, locktited, or use Nylock nuts.
    Because of that, they can come loose.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yudydude View Post
    I have the OE Backrest and it is not adjustable. I have heard that BRP is coming out with one that is adj. Don't know if we can change a part on the existing one to make it adj. or not. Will have to wait and see.
    They are coming out with a kit that will make all of the older OEM backrests adjustable.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

63,000 miles on my TriAxis bars and I have never had to tighten them. I have both the Baker Air Wings and the BRP Adjustable Vents and love them. If you mainly want the Air Wings for protection from the cold then you would be okay without adding the BRP Adjustable vents but if you want more air flow to cool you down then the BRP and Baker combo is a must have.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I do have 3 questions.

Baker air wings or the Can Am side adjustable vents? BRP Vents look better and work great. (Everyone has an opinion on this)

Having problems with the tri axis handlebars loosening this will be the 2nd time. the dealership replaced the full kit the 1st time. Any one else having problems with the tri axis bar loosening? No Help Here

Am I able to change the angle on the O. E. backrest? Under the seat you can add washers to the rear, to tilt the backrest back further or to the front to tilt forward

Thanks for your help!

John

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default lose handle bars

has any thought of using Loctite?QUOTE=Highwayman2013;1064994] [/QUOTE]